Im new and trouble with Currys can you help!?!

kat.regan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI all, im new to this wonderful site and I thought id explain my situation to ask for advice!

Like many people on this site (reading through prev threads) I too have bought a plasma that has now gone belly up.

In March 08 i bought a samsung 50" plasma along with surround sound, stand and all thhe extras from my local currys store.

everything was great until last week when the telly started to click on and off on its own (as a mother of 2 little boys, i thought it was sticky little fingers that caused the on/off button to stick)...well not the case, last friday when watching tv, the picture totally disappeared but was left with sound.

Long story short, i read many posts on this site and got clued up on the SoGA and went fully armed as i contacted cust services (should prob mention, i didnt take out extended warranty either!) well that was a joke!! spoke to a few people including a very P'd off manager ..(prob interupted his lunch) only to be told the usual...i had to get independant report discounting misuse etc

In truth i wasnt happy as understanding the SoGA states that it is to result in no cost to customer and with as little disruption as possible?? I thought id chance my arm and try to push for them to send an engineer out, and if it found that i did misuse the TV i would foot the bill....typical response....should have taken out extended warranty and no chance will they send an engineer and that i had to get one myself..so i did

Guy from samsung recommeded repair shop came today and lifted the telly saying that he will let us know fault and cost in a few days.

Now thats my story...now my questions.... if the report comes back stating manu fault and not misuse and i pass this to currys (bearing in mind what time of year it is)....can i take report intro store for them to fax it to HO or does it NEED to be sent, its my understanding, as long as they know cost of repair/fault etc...

and question 2...if i pay for repair and its reasonable (i need my TV back, im watching a 19" and its a nightmare lol) can i request refund for work carried out??

Its all really long winded and im sorry, i have went to consumer direct and they told me to right with template which has all been done (i emailed it too as i have delivery report set up etc so i know they have read it..watch this they will say thats unacceptable!!_) so the ball is rolling!!

Any advise would be much appreciated!?!

thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Kat x

HI all, im new to this wonderful site and I thought id explain my situation to ask for advice!

Like many people on this site (reading through prev threads) I too have bought a plasma that has now gone belly up.

In March 08 i bought a samsung 50" plasma along with surround sound, stand and all thhe extras from my local currys store.

everything was great until last week when the telly started to click on and off on its own (as a mother of 2 little boys, i thought it was sticky little fingers that caused the on/off button to stick)...well not the case, last friday when watching tv, the picture totally disappeared but was left with sound.

Long story short, i read many posts on this site and got clued up on the SoGA and went fully armed as i contacted cust services (should prob mention, i didnt take out extended warranty either!) well that was a joke!! spoke to a few people including a very P'd off manager ..(prob interupted his lunch) only to be told the usual...i had to get independant report discounting misuse etc

In truth i wasnt happy as understanding the SoGA states that it is to result in no cost to customer and with as little disruption as possible?? I thought id chance my arm and try to push for them to send an engineer out, and if it found that i did misuse the TV i would foot the bill....typical response....should have taken out extended warranty and no chance will they send an engineer and that i had to get one myself..so i did

Guy from samsung recommeded repair shop came today and lifted the telly saying that he will let us know fault and cost in a few days.

Now thats my story...now my questions.... if the report comes back stating manu fault and not misuse and i pass this to currys (bearing in mind what time of year it is)....can i take report intro store for them to fax it to HO or does it NEED to be sent, its my understanding, as long as they know cost of repair/fault etc...

and question 2...if i pay for repair and its reasonable (i need my TV back, im watching a 19" and its a nightmare lol) can i request refund for work carried out??

Its all really long winded and im sorry, i have went to consumer direct and they told me to right with template which has all been done (i emailed it too as i have delivery report set up etc so i know they have read it..watch this they will say thats unacceptable!!_) so the ball is rolling!!

Any advise would be much appreciated!?!

thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Kat x

Ok, firstly, yes they will want to collect the TV, examine it, verify that what the engineers report contains is correct, they can hold your TV for about 28 days to repair it. The engineers report will need to be posted off to either head-office in hemel hempstead or to the customer service center in sheffield, via recorded delivery. The store have absolutely nothing to do with SOGA claims, they can't issue or assist in them at all short of offering advice.

Secondly, DO NOT pay for a repair yourself without prior written consent from the company that they will remburse you. Otherwise they could just turn around and claim you gave them no opertunity to effect a repair that was cost effective to them.

thanks so much, yeah i thought it would prob be a bad idea to pay for the repair myself lol

So after the independent engineer returns the TV currys then come to take it away again ( if the deem the repair feesable) is that correct? or as it is a samsung approved engineer are they not able to just tell him to go ahead with repair?

Sorry im having a blond moment - and before anyone is offended by that, i am indeed blond:D

its just its the 1st time iv had to deal with anything like this so i wanted to be fully armed so they dont try to fob me off;)

and make sure the engineer lists on his report what is at fault i have seen indipendant reports ignored before because they simply stated

"the screen has cracked there is no signs of any outside force causing this"

where as i could easyly state "there is radiating cracks extending from one point on the screen when closed this point lines up with the J key on the keyboard which also appears to be damaged in the middle with a small dent this suggests small object left on keyboard when lid closed"

wasnt repaired....

make sure they list as much as possible

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

hi all!

quick update, engineers phoned today to say the problem is with the screen and it was a manu fault, total cost of repair £600!!

im getting the report back tomo when they return the TV which i will send of to currys and hope for the best!!

at £600 i personally dont think they will repair this....anyway, fingers crossed ill get a response pretty soon!!

Thanks again all

Kat x

• 4 weeks later...

ok quick update!!

sent engineers report to currys from local store by manager, stood and waited for read receipt before i left the store.....waited 14 days (as they said it takes this time to scan on system)....said after numerous phone calls it wasnt received....sent again

same again sent by manager.....wasnt received

sent again this time by fax direct to cust services dept fax machine (number given by advisor) this was on Monday....now Thursday and still no resolution!!

another unrelated point too...my laptop had a virus, i gave it into the local store to get it sorted....paid £49.99 for the service and its been 3 days....made 3 trips to store to be told you need to confirm if we can wipe this and that etc.."why didnt u phone and ask" we did they said...ummm no...no missed calls on my mobile??? it will be another 20 mins...ok ill nip to ASDA, 1 hour later, we still need to install this and that, we will phone when done....3 days...not 1 call....SHOCKING!!!!!

I kid you not, over the years I have spent thousands in that store with TVs electricals, laptops, computers the lot...and this is how they treat you....never again!!! I will NEVER spend another penny with this company...totally lost all faith....

Sorry for moan, but im totally FED UP NOW!!!!:mad::(:mad:

I can see why you have got annoyed and know what the law says but have little sympathy afraid :mad:

I am a consumer like you but also an ex manager of dsg and dont understand why many of us believe that after the guarantee period is up we should get a FOC repair /or replacement.:confused:

Maybe just me but I accept the warranty period - in your case 365 days, and that on day 366 onwards it's up to you to pay for things if it goes belly up.

There are extended warranties to take from the company itself or a third party if you want guaranteed protection outwith the warranty period. Otherwise like you are finding you will have to fight tooth and nail to get anywhere.

As this is a consumer action group I am sure I will get some stick for my comments but hey that's my opinion.:razz:

I can see why you have got annoyed and know what the law says but have little sympathy afraid :mad:

I am a consumer like you but also an ex manager of dsg and dont understand why many of us believe that after the guarantee period is up we should get a FOC repair /or replacement.:confused:

Maybe just me but I accept the warranty period - in your case 365 days, and that on day 366 onwards it's up to you to pay for things if it goes belly up.

There are extended warranties to take from the company itself or a third party if you want guaranteed protection outwith the warranty period. Otherwise like you are finding you will have to fight tooth and nail to get anywhere.

As this is a consumer action group I am sure I will get some stick for my comments but hey that's my opinion.:razz:

You are quite welcome to your opinion but I will state the facts.

A guarantee is offered IN ADDITION to a customers statutory rights. In fact, there is no need to offer a guarantee at all.

The Sale of Goods Act give the consumer protection for up to 6 years

If a product fails within the first 6 months, it is down to the retailer to sort. If it is after 6 months, the consumer needs to prove it was a manufacturing fault. If it is so, the retailer can offer to repair the item or offer a partial refund for the use of the item so far.

For an expensive item like a Plasma tv, a reasonable person would expect it to last longer than 20 months so Currys have a duty via SoGA to repair/partial refund.

If Currys refuse, the other option for the OP is to sue at court

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

well i sincerely HOPE you never considered your views the law, and dictated such to your past staff.

sadly, it's your type of view that leads to por consumer sevice in large stores.

shame on you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You are quite welcome to your opinion but I will state the facts.

A guarantee is offered IN ADDITION to a customers statutory rights. In fact, there is no need to offer a guarantee at all.

The Sale of Goods Act give the consumer protection for up to 6 years

If a product fails within the first 6 months, it is down to the retailer to sort. If it is after 6 months, the consumer needs to prove it was a manufacturing fault. If it is so, the retailer can offer to repair the item or offer a partial refund for the use of the item so far.

Like I say, I know what the law says - had it spouted to me many times over.

Reality on the other hand is that many retailers will only replace / refund within the first 28 days and not 6 months. As for the consumer protection upto 6 years I think the number of threads on here pretty much sums up how much attention some retailers pay to that - why do they push the extended guarantees (apart from the 40% margin) if they are legally bound to resolve such problems.

I've done the legal route with a car dealer before and although I won I really wouldn't have the time nor inclination to do it all again.

I've seen a few claims like the one above get sorted but only after a long hard battle....you may want to forget the old fax stuff as it usually goes in the bin at the other end. A strongly worded recorded delivery letter along with the report sent to the Currys MD will work - dont worry it will never get to him but the correspondence team will pick it up and address the issue.

well i sincerely HOPE you never considered your views the law, and dictated such to your past staff.

sadly, it's your type of view that leads to por consumer sevice in large stores.

shame on you.

dx

Wake up and smell the coffee mate....this 'view' was imprinted onto me by many years of DSG leadership and also the harsh reality as a consumer returning products for various reasons to a variety of retailers over 20 years. If managers were allowed to exchange all faulty goods then do you really think we would just stand there and take a load of abuse day after day from customers with faulty products? Of course not.:-|

I have realised the law isn't really worth the paper it is written on as the time, cost and effort required to go the legal route just doesn't work for most folks.

I usually will give an insight into the workings of DSG and how to play them at their own game!

Edited by Ex DSG Man

sadly, i do think that people like yourselves become the 'piggy-in-the-middle' in many cases, though i also think this is mainly down again to managers 'beliefs' or p'haps poor training.

regardless to the age of the product, it is expected to last a 'resonable time', this ofcourse varies with the type of product.

if it fails within this time, under soga, it is down to the seller to repair and refund the consumers costs, i.e the 'independent eng report'. it is down to the store themselves if they want to refund, there is no set ruling, but p'haps one of good 'customer relations'!.

if the store, then, latterly takes up the issue with the manu, regarding its costs, then that part i do not know. p'haps you do?

i still feel though that the consumer gets a raw deal when these incidences happen, and are often 'fobbed off' with un-truths by such large retailers because they are big and strong and the punter knows no different.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

WOW ok......

firstly thanks to everyone for all your comments and of course we are all entitled to our own opinions but there are a couple of points id like to make.

1. never once have i been abusive to any member of staff at Currys either face to face OR over the telephone, so maybe as you say..you have had the law spouted to you many times...well (a) quite right and (b) i wasnt one of them...I have worked in Cust services for many years (for different companies) and i also know that if i go in all guns blazing..i will be right at the bottom of the pile in regards to a resolution.

2. Just because im out of warranty, the law is on my side...no other way to look at it, other than its UNREASONABLE (under SOGA)...20 months for a 50" plasma which may i add on Samsungs own website under FAQs...."how long do your plasma TVs last"....answer "its reasonable to expect our TVs to last 26 years!!":-o...i think this alone says it all!!!

3. Why should consumers take out extended warranties on products that we are already covered for???

As i said...each to there own and i respect your views i just..(on this occasion) dont see why you...as a consumer dont agree with these laws put in place to protect us all???...and i understand you say u take out extended warranties to avoid any mishap but lets face it...items are not meant to breakdown within a certain amount of time..and thats how these companies profit so much from these warranties, because, if products like mine generally break down after 20 months then lets face it...everyone will be claiming under there warranty resulting in these companies actually losing financially....i bet they wouldnt push the warranties then now would they???;)

Quick update!!!.............RESOLVED!!!!!!!!

I received a call from Currys today offering me £670 towards a new TV, im delighted with this result as i dont think the original TV was more than £800 ( i also got the stand and surround sound system in the original purchase)...thanks to EVERYONE who helped me along the way and hopefully this result will give faith to people who are awaiting a resolve with there own situation!!

thanks again for all your help, i know I would never have got so far if it wasnt for this brilliant site!!!

Quick update!!!.............RESOLVED!!!!!!!!

I received a call from Currys today offering me £670 towards a new TV, im delighted with this result as i dont think the original TV was more than £800 ( i also got the stand and surround sound system in the original purchase)...thanks to EVERYONE who helped me along the way and hopefully this result will give faith to people who are awaiting a resolve with there own situation!!

thanks again for all your help, i know I would never have got so far if it wasnt for this brilliant site!!!

Well I would like to say good for you :D At least my ex employer has restored a little faith in their customer service ;).

I've said all I will ever say on out of warranty repairs and think I will focus on posting help with DSG issues...dont mind a bit a humble pie.:D

ps. LED is the way forward or at least LCD.

Well I have to say fair play to Currys and well done to you for sticking to your guns :D It only took a month really when it could easily have taken longer.

You can get a damn good Tv for £670

The consumer strikes again :)

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

well done everyone

dx

and they

Unfortunatley what Ex DSG Man quotes is due to managers believeing what they are told by others and failing to actually read the written procedures on faulty goods.

Not at all...all managers of DSG who have served any length of time at all knew the law (I suspect more than most on here know).......anyone with half a brain can go online and read it !!

It's the company that dictate a few specifics such as no replacement after 28 days. You wouldn't last long in DSG if you did everything to the letter of the law.:-| (one of the reasons i left)

I came on here to help those that have problems with DSG and the right way to get things sorted.

I do also have my own opinions on things as I have stated in this thread and I think it just doesn't all add up- we expect high spec products to last years but pay cheap as hell prices - the two just don't go hand in hand.

Yes policy dictates no replacement outside 28 days but that goes above and beyond the SOGA. There are obviously many circumstances where an exchange is appropriate above this timescale yet managers stick to it believing it is the letter of the law.

In most cases I would advise speaking to Customer Services if a product is faulty outside of 28 days. Especially if the fault is inherrant and you have an engineers report to prove it. They have the experience of dealing with these issues and will normally resolve them faster than the average manager.

As an ex dsg manager- large superstores, a little short of a decade let me clarify on these 2 points.

As a manager you have the power and discretion to exchange / refund any product at any time (oh yes they do!). In reality you won't do this unless it can go back as faulty ie within 28 days, have a returns authorisation via manufacturer or 'code 5' (send back to warehouse or 7800 as its known) give or take a few exceptions. After that the store takes the hit - which managers wont do as it hits their margin -PRETTY MUCH REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE LAW SAYS.

As for suggesting customers contact customers services as they will 'normally resolve them faster than the average manger' of course this is one route to query your problem/complaint but lets be honest - its a call centre in Sheffield - say no more.

That is a sad fact of DSG management - maybe the reason so many people on here are unhappy with them.

The reason I state the call center route is that they don't faul foul of misinformation. You may have been a great manager for us (now I've shown my colours!) but for every manager that tries to help the customer there are 2 that hide behind misinformation as they are too scared a single return effects their margins. If a single refund is that crucial to profit then there are many other things wrong in that store.

Yes your right. Many people are dissatisfied with DSG and most of that was driven by the old commision way of selling. It was fine in the 1980's but should have been changed in the 90's. It didn't and we are now in the trough working hard to improve that perception and put the customer ahead of the profit. If we get that right the profit will follow.

I had kinda figured you worked for dsg (not store based though I guess). As regard to the old commission, whilst it attracted the sales sharks of the 90's at least they knew what they were talking about on the most part and gave some good sales advice even though they pushed the warranties a bit much.

You now have a company thanks to Steve Blan who binned the commission and replace it with a store 'margin' bonus - opps there goes that £1000 laptop exchange after 6 weeks :grin:. Now it employess a team on little more than minimum wage and a team bonus.

I feel for DSG its a company that hasn't changed is basic business model in decades and now struggles with internet retailers, food giants that now do non food and the big guns from the USA who DSG used to work with- Best Buy. Ironic really thet Steve Blan and Carphone may spear-head the attack as this was Best Buys way into the UK market. Will all just to wait and see.