hightail

Fallen foul of Royal Mail

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3643 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I sent out my Christmas cards and one of the recipients has been charged for it being too large for the postage. I checked before sending them and according to the RM website the measurements for ordinary letter size are

Length:

240mm max

Width:

165mm max

Thickness:

5mm max

Weight:

100g max

My friend was told it was 2cm too big whereas the envelopes are exactly 165mm square. Have I read it wrong or is her sorting office trying it on?

...and the thickness was under 5mm?

The SO will have the plastic letter guide, so if it goes through the correct slot, no additional payment is required,.

Under 5mm thick and well within weight - as I read it on the website. How can 165mm square be 2cm too big?

It's up to the individual postman to decide. If it is a jobsworth temp worker they may be trying to impress, so a challenge is better dealt with at the SO, even though it'll be a pain, you'll get the satisfaction of not being ripped off!

I feel I may have one of these as well...........

I got home from work today and there was a card from RM on the mat telling me there was a piece of mail that has been under paid waiting for me to go and collect - at a fee of £1:08.

If it turns out to be a similar situation, can I try putting the item through their size guide and then refuse to pay if it shows not to be oversize?

I will report back when I have been to the SO in the morning,

Feebee_71

It wouldn't be so bad if I'd got one. I've sent them! I feel dreadful and it's not as if I didn't check before sending them - if I read the info right which is why I asked on here. My friend had to go to the SO and pay. They didn't put it through any size guide to show her and she didn't get any receipt for the money she paid.

You can certainly ASK for the size guide to be used in front of you. As for a receipt, the envelope - with the 'To Pay' stamp is sufficient.

It comes as a bit of a shock to most people so they just pay up and don't keep the envelope. I'm in the dreadful position of not knowing how many people on our Christmas card list may be affected by this as most will probably be too polite (or angry) to say anything.

My husband has just let me know that two of the cards were sent recorded because there were cheques in them for nephews. What would be the situation if it had gone through the counter at our end but the other end tried to charge extra?

How many of us have had to pay the surcharge only to discover it is junk mail. I now insist of seeing it before I pay.

Some observationd;

(1) It is a waste of money - for postage - sneding cheques by Recorded Delivery. There is no enhanced levels of compensation, and in any case cheques - because they can be canceeled - are deemed to have no value, If the only reason to use RD was to make the cards stand out, then at least that would be achieved.

(2) If you are told to colect because there is a fee due, you can still insist on them proving it (cannot do this after you have accepted and paid).

So, my item WAS a christmas card!!!

The problem was not that there was insufficient postage on the card for the size but because the person sending it to me had used a stamp from a pack which didn't have a price on it but said 1st on it!!!

There was no sticker on the envelope, the stamp had been scribbled across only. The only place that the fee I paid (£1:08) was mentioned was on the card posted through the letterbox and which was handed in to the SO to obtain the card.

Now, this card is from a close friend who has said they will give me back the money next time we get together - not that I am bothered by the amount, it's not as if it was difficult to find the pennies to pay it - but how many other people realise this can happen - can it or should it?

Feebee_71

This was ALWAYS going to happen, based on the slovenylu way RM management decided to 'simply' stamps - opening the door to confusion to customers, and legitimate concerns.

In the beginning there was a recognised cost for using the post, then complicated with the introduction of 1st and 2nd Class mail. This meant two different prices depending on the speed of the service required, but if you only paid the lower rate, then it went 2nd Class.

Spin forward, and the intoduction of staps proclaiming '1st' and '2nd', usually within books of stamps. To the unitinitated, this meant sticking these on a letter meant it would go by this rate, BUT the small print on the booklet told a different tale - these stamps could ONLY be used if the letter wighed less than 60g. Of course, this was not on the stamp, but on the booklet the stamp was contained within.

Spin forward again, and we now have something else to add to the mix. the weight is no longer the sole arbiter of cost, but the SIZE as well. So it was now no longer sifficient to say that the weight should not be exceeded, but a fixed size and thickness. So - RM had to introduce additional stamp ranges, the original type (as before) and a second range for 'Large' items - with LARGE helpfully printed on the STAMP.

Madness, absolute madness.

The upside? Only one. When the 1st/2nd stamps were introduced, it allowed them to be used for the declared services irrespective of any price rise, as those showing a monetary value required additional 1p/2p stamps to make up the new value.

It is a waste of money - for postage - sneding cheques by Recorded Delivery

It wasn't an issue of compensation Buzby or any worries about sending cheques through the post. Thank you letters are a thing of the past and we did want to know they had arrived. They have and there was no issue with any extra being asked for even though they were in identical cards to the one that caused the problem.