What' happening to the fight??

UnmoderatetheNet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As the title suggests this a message for the guru of the consumer.

With the recent bank charges 'dodgy handshakes' result that would have cost the banks billions had it gone the other way, who as we speak are getting caseS struck out right left and centre....

...What would you advise as a DRAFT LETTER to deal with the hordes of DCA's that are going to descend on victims of overdrafts made up entirely of bank charges, now that consumers have been let down by the court???

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

- Guru, Moi, no mate just another delinquent who stumbled across CAG way back when and applied the wisdom gained on here, and am more than happy to help where I can.

As stated by LTWFB - hang fire for a few more days/weeks and see what transpires

I have an account with Barclays finance, a store card taken out a few years ago. The debt has increased from £1500 to over £4000, this despite me asking for reduced payaments etc etc. I’ve cca’d them and nothing came back apart from a statement of payements, they’re still adding interest and the account is full of late payement charges and letter charges at £25 a time.

Can I still send a letter, like I’ve done for my bank account, to claim these unfair charges back? I guess I can, but its been such a long while since I claimed bank charges back I’m a little rusty on this side of things.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The fight might be still ongoing but banks have gone into overdrive on collecting unfair bank charges. Well in all fairness DCA's have gone into overdrive, I'm seeing blanket mailings hitting doormats all with the same threat.

I know of one DCA taking on extra staff to cope with the incresed revenue stream. This is all wrong we were putting this pond life out of business, now they are rubbing there hands and doing a jig like fagin.

This is bad news for all concerned, people overdrawn and in difficulty being hit with doorstep threats and court, for what we all agree is totally unfair.

No part of £35 is fair, i'm sorry but it's not.

But the point is the banks and from what I can gather the DCA see this a actual recovery debt as opposed to unenforceable turkeys they have had deal with in ther past.

People need help like MARTEL

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/235954-big-overdraft-must-respond-4.html

I see lots of debating on if they fall within or outside CCA, but very little stickied advice, which is whats needed.

Surly, these debts are still very much in dispute? Why are they being brought before the courts.

What can be done?

Has anybody got any updates?

Are these cases being won or lost?

Anyway, thanks please restore my faith in the consumer revolution.

What about a press release?????

People are being hit with court action in christmas week for what are still considered unfair charges.

This ticks all the boxes, for headlines news.

I was wondering about this as well. I'm expecting any day now to get a demand for my overdraft to be paid back!

My claim to the bank is for over £3000 and I don't suppose for one minute that I will ever see it.

It seems to me it is all one way traffic in favour of the banks. I too am of the opinion that the claims for the overdraft to be paid back are still in dispute so it's my intention if I do receive a demand to say just that.

It's a really interesting point raised here.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/239244-oft-throw-towel.html

we have reduced our exposure to HBOS by paying the mortgage the minute my ill-health works pension hits the bank using Visa Electron card over the phone,and when the benefits go in that we get via BACS,withdraw them to cash

still get some giros which the Post Office deal with,and direct debits on the account total 3,all for insurance

we hope to pay the house and car insurance in one go at renewal,doing away with 2 of them

it can be done....HBOS don't make a cold cent out of us,as we operate a basic account with no bells and whistles.They wanted us to upgrade to a "normal account" but we told them we were fine ,thanks!!

It's true.

Banks don't make a cent out of you if you operate a bank account just for clearing funds. There was a time when they would close your account for running your account in such a way, back in the early 90's the Halifax closed my account for getting paid on friday and withdrawing every penny the same day.

So if you operate an account with.

NO OVERDRAFT

NO PREMIUM ACCOUNT

OPERATE ON A CASH BASIS

REMOVE ALL FUNDS OTHER THAN DD's

They make sod all.

Now that we've lost the cause for bank charges, I think this is the way forward.

Just like the bus protests in the USA of the 60'S the banks need our custom/revenue when we limit it or withdraw funds they hurt and if enough consumers make the effort, it will really hurt.

I'm seeing facebook, myspace campaigns and from tiny acorns.....CAG was born. Enough said...BANKS 1 CONSUMERS 0. but this is just the first meeting...I reckon 2010 is going to be a bumpy ride for bank charges.

• 3 weeks later...

So if I understand the new ruling correctly, it matters not what an OC holds as long as they have something with a signature, prescribed conditions are out the window, original agreement is now surplus to demand.

An OC can cobble together any ****e they can find and that constitutes an enforceable agreement.

What the hell point of the OC being made to tell consumers if they have an original agreement or not if they do not have to supply one in any case? Pointless token gesture for something OC had to disclose in the first place, but chose not to do so.

Cabot and Cattles are saved from the administrators and consumers are disregarded, AGAIN.

Banks 2

Consumers 0

I hope 2010 is going to see a better team performance

First we had bank charges fiasco Caggers 0 Banks 1

Before that we had charging orders changing Caggers 0 Banks 1

Somewhere around the same time Baliffs were given more power. Caggers 0 Banks 1

Then we had the scottish law amending amended change in favour of banks Caggers 0 Banks 1

Finally, we've just had manchester case Caggers 0 Banks 1

Whats happening Caggers???

We need to re-address the balance its starrting to depress me, if this carrys on Cabot and Cattles will be recording huge profits and if that happens I'll drive a fleet of petrol tankers into Cattles Head Office in Leeds and set fire to it.

Caggers4UK

only joking folks

Cattles is in Cleckheaton:-D

You forget the changes in the CCA 74. ;-)

What's happening? Well, one could venture a guess that the rich and powerful have the right contacts and know how to use that and their wealth to influence things where it matters...

Oops, did I just infer that our judiciary might not be as unbiased as they should be? Surely not... :razz:

What Scots law came out in favour of the banks?? The banks/DCAs must now produce an agreement with the initial writ or state unequivocally that they have one. If they do not subsequently produce it, they are in dead stuck. CAGers aren't getting a rough deal in my opinion. If they use consumer law and OFT guideines they can challenge the banks and DCAs whereever there is a chink in their claims - and their claims are full of chinks all the time. CAG rules!

• 2 months later...

What's the latest on the two test cases tried last week with regards to bank charges?

A glimmer of light perhaps, did we win??

I've heard nothing