• Tweets

• If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
    • Good evening  Case hearing this Friday 26/04. looking to have all my prep/papers ready.    just checking in to get update on my last post , ( the t&c’s attached). No name or address on them as per #49   thank you UCM  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What' happening to the fight??

UnmoderatetheNet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As the title suggests this a message for the guru of the consumer.

With the recent bank charges 'dodgy handshakes' result that would have cost the banks billions had it gone the other way, who as we speak are getting caseS struck out right left and centre....

...What would you advise as a DRAFT LETTER to deal with the hordes of DCA's that are going to descend on victims of overdrafts made up entirely of bank charges, now that consumers have been let down by the court???

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

- Guru, Moi, no mate just another delinquent who stumbled across CAG way back when and applied the wisdom gained on here, and am more than happy to help where I can.

As stated by LTWFB - hang fire for a few more days/weeks and see what transpires

I have an account with Barclays finance, a store card taken out a few years ago. The debt has increased from £1500 to over £4000, this despite me asking for reduced payaments etc etc. I’ve cca’d them and nothing came back apart from a statement of payements, they’re still adding interest and the account is full of late payement charges and letter charges at £25 a time.

Can I still send a letter, like I’ve done for my bank account, to claim these unfair charges back? I guess I can, but its been such a long while since I claimed bank charges back I’m a little rusty on this side of things.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The fight might be still ongoing but banks have gone into overdrive on collecting unfair bank charges. Well in all fairness DCA's have gone into overdrive, I'm seeing blanket mailings hitting doormats all with the same threat.

I know of one DCA taking on extra staff to cope with the incresed revenue stream. This is all wrong we were putting this pond life out of business, now they are rubbing there hands and doing a jig like fagin.

This is bad news for all concerned, people overdrawn and in difficulty being hit with doorstep threats and court, for what we all agree is totally unfair.

No part of £35 is fair, i'm sorry but it's not.

But the point is the banks and from what I can gather the DCA see this a actual recovery debt as opposed to unenforceable turkeys they have had deal with in ther past.

People need help like MARTEL

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/235954-big-overdraft-must-respond-4.html

I see lots of debating on if they fall within or outside CCA, but very little stickied advice, which is whats needed.

Surly, these debts are still very much in dispute? Why are they being brought before the courts.

What can be done?

Has anybody got any updates?

Are these cases being won or lost?

Anyway, thanks please restore my faith in the consumer revolution.

What about a press release?????

People are being hit with court action in christmas week for what are still considered unfair charges.

This ticks all the boxes, for headlines news.

I was wondering about this as well. I'm expecting any day now to get a demand for my overdraft to be paid back!

My claim to the bank is for over £3000 and I don't suppose for one minute that I will ever see it.

It seems to me it is all one way traffic in favour of the banks. I too am of the opinion that the claims for the overdraft to be paid back are still in dispute so it's my intention if I do receive a demand to say just that.

It's a really interesting point raised here.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/239244-oft-throw-towel.html

we have reduced our exposure to HBOS by paying the mortgage the minute my ill-health works pension hits the bank using Visa Electron card over the phone,and when the benefits go in that we get via BACS,withdraw them to cash

still get some giros which the Post Office deal with,and direct debits on the account total 3,all for insurance

we hope to pay the house and car insurance in one go at renewal,doing away with 2 of them

it can be done....HBOS don't make a cold cent out of us,as we operate a basic account with no bells and whistles.They wanted us to upgrade to a "normal account" but we told them we were fine ,thanks!!

It's true.

Banks don't make a cent out of you if you operate a bank account just for clearing funds. There was a time when they would close your account for running your account in such a way, back in the early 90's the Halifax closed my account for getting paid on friday and withdrawing every penny the same day.

So if you operate an account with.

NO OVERDRAFT

NO PREMIUM ACCOUNT

OPERATE ON A CASH BASIS

REMOVE ALL FUNDS OTHER THAN DD's

They make sod all.

Now that we've lost the cause for bank charges, I think this is the way forward.

Just like the bus protests in the USA of the 60'S the banks need our custom/revenue when we limit it or withdraw funds they hurt and if enough consumers make the effort, it will really hurt.

I'm seeing facebook, myspace campaigns and from tiny acorns.....CAG was born. Enough said...BANKS 1 CONSUMERS 0. but this is just the first meeting...I reckon 2010 is going to be a bumpy ride for bank charges.

• 3 weeks later...

So if I understand the new ruling correctly, it matters not what an OC holds as long as they have something with a signature, prescribed conditions are out the window, original agreement is now surplus to demand.

An OC can cobble together any ****e they can find and that constitutes an enforceable agreement.

What the hell point of the OC being made to tell consumers if they have an original agreement or not if they do not have to supply one in any case? Pointless token gesture for something OC had to disclose in the first place, but chose not to do so.

Cabot and Cattles are saved from the administrators and consumers are disregarded, AGAIN.

Banks 2

Consumers 0

I hope 2010 is going to see a better team performance

First we had bank charges fiasco Caggers 0 Banks 1

Before that we had charging orders changing Caggers 0 Banks 1

Somewhere around the same time Baliffs were given more power. Caggers 0 Banks 1

Then we had the scottish law amending amended change in favour of banks Caggers 0 Banks 1

Finally, we've just had manchester case Caggers 0 Banks 1

Whats happening Caggers???

We need to re-address the balance its starrting to depress me, if this carrys on Cabot and Cattles will be recording huge profits and if that happens I'll drive a fleet of petrol tankers into Cattles Head Office in Leeds and set fire to it.

Caggers4UK

only joking folks

Cattles is in Cleckheaton:-D

You forget the changes in the CCA 74. ;-)

What's happening? Well, one could venture a guess that the rich and powerful have the right contacts and know how to use that and their wealth to influence things where it matters...

Oops, did I just infer that our judiciary might not be as unbiased as they should be? Surely not... :razz:

What Scots law came out in favour of the banks?? The banks/DCAs must now produce an agreement with the initial writ or state unequivocally that they have one. If they do not subsequently produce it, they are in dead stuck. CAGers aren't getting a rough deal in my opinion. If they use consumer law and OFT guideines they can challenge the banks and DCAs whereever there is a chink in their claims - and their claims are full of chinks all the time. CAG rules!

• 2 months later...

What's the latest on the two test cases tried last week with regards to bank charges?

A glimmer of light perhaps, did we win??

I've heard nothing