style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3628 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Had a letter this morning from Hamptons saying how disappointed they are that i have not contacted them.

They say in the letter they are going to search my credit file to see if i own property in view to putting in place a chrarging order.

Are they allowed to search my credit file without my agreement?

The debt is in relation to a bank account. I do owe the money and i dont dispute it but im saving for bankruptcy so in a few months it wont matter.

Posts are made with the best intentions but may not legally accurate

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No, they are not allowed to search your credit file without your permission and if they do ask the credit reference agency to remove the search and make a formal complaint to the Incformation Commissioner, with a copy to Hamptons complaints deprtment.

I would have thought that they would have done a Land Registry search of your known address to determine if you were a homeowner to be honest.

They don't need permission for this.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Thanks for both replies.

The letter does say creit file will be searched.

Would it be worth firing a letter of pointing out that a search would result in a complaint to the information commisioner?

Posts are made with the best intentions but may not legally accurate

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No, let them hang themselves by their own petard. Once they have done a search on your file without your permission, send a copy of their letter along with your complaint to the Credit Reference Agency, the ICO, and the OFT, aswell as the Hamptons, then point out to them in your complaint that they did not have any right or your permission to conduct a search on your credit file.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!