stormdog

magistrates mistake - now bailiffs threaten seizure of goods

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3627 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

In August I received a letter from Marstons bailiffs about a unpaid fixed penaly notice - the car reg. no. was not mine so on their instructions I contacted the local magistrates court who gave me a second also unrecognisable reg. no. They put Marstons on hold while I chased up the reg no's with DVLA - who wrote to confirm that neither were on their records at all! Informed magistrates who put everything on hold further to allow time for me to go back to Dorset police - the issuing authority and clear things up, they sent me back to the magistrates who kndly gave me a third unrecognisable reg.no and put things on hold again and sent me back to the police. By now marstons had found a gap in all the holds placed and had called, adding on extra charges in the process. They were called off again this time by a central fines office - (the office it was all dealt with having moved) near the end of the last holding period I finally got a reg. no. from the police that was my car - I called Marstons to say - yes this is my debt, can I pay by instalments as I am on income support only to be told that as so much time had passed everything was under 'enforcement' and if I couldnt pay my goods would be removed by the end of the week!

Its not my fault that so much time passed - I got to the bottom of everything and it seems that somewhere between my fine being passed from the police to the bailiffs (most likely at the magistrates court office) the car reg no was changed - honest human error I guess but now I dont have any time to pay! Is this right? Once it was clear it was my car I was only to happy to pay - but through someone elses mistake I am not to lose my goods! Help - anyone please

In August I received a letter from Marstons bailiffs about a unpaid fixed penaly notice - the car reg. no. was not mine so on their instructions I contacted the local magistrates court who gave me a second also unrecognisable reg. no. They put Marstons on hold while I chased up the reg no's with DVLA - who wrote to confirm that neither were on their records at all! Informed magistrates who put everything on hold further to allow time for me to go back to Dorset police - the issuing authority and clear things up, they sent me back to the magistrates who kndly gave me a third unrecognisable reg.no and put things on hold again and sent me back to the police. By now marstons had found a gap in all the holds placed and had called, adding on extra charges in the process. They were called off again this time by a central fines office - (the office it was all dealt with having moved) near the end of the last holding period I finally got a reg. no. from the police that was my car - I called Marstons to say - yes this is my debt, can I pay by instalments as I am on income support only to be told that as so much time had passed everything was under 'enforcement' and if I couldnt pay my goods would be removed by the end of the week!

Its not my fault that so much time passed - I got to the bottom of everything and it seems that somewhere between my fine being passed from the police to the bailiffs (most likely at the magistrates court office) the car reg no was changed - honest human error I guess but now I dont have any time to pay! Is this right? Once it was clear it was my car I was only to happy to pay - but through someone elses mistake I am not to lose my goods! Help - anyone please

This is very simple. You need to compelte a Statutory Declaration under section 73(2) of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.

This is a very simple form indeed and needs to filed immediately. This will cancel the fine and also cancel any bailiff fees.

The form can be sent by fax to the fines office but it must first be witnessed.

I can send you a template and have PM'd you.

Tomtubby, for the benefit of the rest of us what would you be declaring in a Statutory Declaration?

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)