• Tweets

• I have had a secondary thought.  I borrowed £s from a completely separate entity 6y ago. It was personal and unsecured. I was going to repay upon sale of the property. But then repo and I couldn't.  Eventually they applied and got a charging order on the property.  Their lawyers wrote that if I didn't repay they may apply for an order for sale.  I'm not in control of the sale.  The lender won't agree to an order for sale.  The judge won't expedite it/ extract from trial.  Someone here on cag may or may not suggest I can apply for an order v the receiver?  But could I alternatively ask this separate entity with a c.o to carry out their threat and actually make an application to court for an order for sale v the receiver instead?
    • You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advice needed re full & final settlements and "unenforceable debts"/CCA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I have three credit cards on a debt management plan and I am lucky enough to have received a small windfall. I phoned Barclaycard today to ask for my balance and then asked what address I should send a f+f s offer to. She replied....."Barclaycard to not offer Full and Final Settlement, we have a collections department instead". So do I believe her or just write off with my offer? I also would like your opinions about percentages my creditors are likely to accept. My creditors are Lloyds tsb credit card, MBNA credit card and Barclaycar. I have in total about £11,500 in debt with them and wish to pay off with as little as £4,000. Also, I have heard about the companies that investigate whether the debt is enforceable or not.... is this worth doing...any success stories? ? My colleague has been waiting to hear the result of hers for about nine months now. She paid about £500 which includes investigating her PPI as as well as the personal loan it relates to. She was told no win no fee but was not given a timescale.... so, how long do you give them? Could they keep your money indefinately?

Thanks in advance

Edited by benboy

Why use one of these companies when its simple enough to do it yourself.

Put your money in a savings account (not in a bank you owe money to though!)

Then send this letter

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/581-cca-request-letter

with a postal order for £1.

I wouldnt ask for any f and f figures until you get these.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

Why use one of these companies when its simple enough to do it yourself.

Put your money in a savings account (not in a bank you owe money to though!)

Then send this letter

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/581-cca-request-letter

with a postal order for £1.

I wouldnt ask for any f and f figures until you get these.

Thank you Natalie I will have a look at that. However, I was reading a thread on here where to find out whether a debt was enforceable or not was not that clear cut and even when taken to court after no CCA could be produced, the judge still decided in favour of the Creditor! Also I am still not finding anyone who has had success with this. If it takes a "professional" company 9 months or more to sort out then this indicates it may not be "simple enough to do it yourself". I also have a charging order on my property from RBS, would they have had to show the court the CCA? Can I still take RBS down the CCA route? Also, although sending a request for the CCA seems simple enough... what happens next?

Edited by benboy

Even with no CCA it wont just diappear, they will carry on selling the debt on and it will be on the DCA merry-go-round. All that it means is that they cannot take you to court for the money, and eventually (after 6 years) it will become statute barred.

FAQ SECTION HERE

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

Even with no CCA it wont just diappear, they will carry on selling the debt on and it will be on the DCA merry-go-round. All that it means is that they cannot take you to court for the money, and eventually (after 6 years) it will become statute barred.

Hi

Isn't it only statute barred if the creditor soesn't contact me for 6 years?

How come these claims companies advertising on the radio (apart from the obvious... to get business) are making out you can get the debt written off?

What is the actual point in me asking for the CCA? Does it mearly give me a better bagaining tool when I make any full and final settlement offers, presuming they are late sending the copy and/or it is dificient in some way? Otherwise I will stop any payments and be nervous for the next 6years waiting for their CCA to turn up (like a bad penny:D) If they do send me the correct CCA at any time then surely I would have to re-start payments again as, although they have not abided by the law by providing the CCA in the timescale allowed it still exists and so the debt is enforceable. That's not how I want to live for the next 6 years, I have been under so much stress for the last 4 years.

No, Statute Barred is 6 years from the time YOU last acknowledged the debt.

Who is the debt with and when was the account taken out?

If they dont provide a CCA straight away its unlikely they have one, although they have been known to turn up, its not all that common.

FAQ SECTION HERE

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

Hi Natalie, thanks for your advice so far.

My debts are with the following:

RBS Lombard loan (thay have a final charging order on my house),

MBNA credit card

Lloyds tsb credit card

Barclaycard (Skycard)

I don't know how long I have had these but put it this way I took out a DMP with CCCS in 2007 so I know I had these credit cards before 2007.

I have read on here that if you have a debt with a CCJ then there is no chance of unenforceability.

I am thinking of making very low offers with my small windfall (maybe 10-20%) Although I am told by National Debtline that RBS won't really care as now their money is secured. If they are not interested I will just work with the other 3 creditors.

Thanks again in advance

Hi Ben,

Good luck in your pursuit of F & F's there are a lot of threads on here about them and some Caggers seem to negotiate without a problem and get very good reductions.

I have approached the Halifax with an offer of around 35% but not accepted, however did get a drastic reduction in the interest rate. Currently awaiting written confirmation and will re-commence a reduced payment in the new year.

If you have a secured loan, then it is important that you maintain payments on this if you can. It is a priority debt, as with your mortgage. Although, you state that RBS have a charging order, so was that a result of a loan defaulting as opposed to a credit card debt?

Your windfall should come in very useful to get some of your creditors out of the way but it will not be an easy task and will probably be very slow. (I started in April).

Most important, ensure that your windfall is safely stashed away. Who do you bank with? If you stop paying a CCC for example with Barclaycard and you have your money in a Barclays Bank account, they are within their rights to help themselves to your money to offset their debt. It's called the 'Offsetting rule' so beware!

Dotty

Hi Ben,

Good luck in your pursuit of F & F's there are a lot of threads on here about them and some Caggers seem to negotiate without a problem and get very good reductions.

I have approached the Halifax with an offer of around 35% but not accepted, however did get a drastic reduction in the interest rate. Currently awaiting written confirmation and will re-commence a reduced payment in the new year.

If you have a secured loan, then it is important that you maintain payments on this if you can. It is a priority debt, as with your mortgage. Although, you state that RBS have a charging order, so was that a result of a loan defaulting as opposed to a credit card debt?

Your windfall should come in very useful to get some of your creditors out of the way but it will not be an easy task and will probably be very slow. (I started in April).

Most important, ensure that your windfall is safely stashed away. Who do you bank with? If you stop paying a CCC for example with Barclaycard and you have your money in a Barclays Bank account, they are within their rights to help themselves to your money to offset their debt. It's called the 'Offsetting rule' so beware!

Dotty

Hi Dotty!

Yes, I do have secured debts: Mortgage, Halifax Loan, and RBS Loan (charging order). I am up to date and maintaining my payments with these. However, this didn't stop RBS getting a final charging order even though they accepted my offer of repayments through CCCS and I neve defaulted on the new payment agreement :(

I have £10,000 to use to pay off £17,000 or if RBS won't budge then it's to pay off £11,500. Obviously I am going down the CCA route first and if it comes down to it, F+FS offers using as little of the £10k as possible. I hope the remainder of my money will make life just a little bit easier and also I wont have such a large chunk taken out of my salary to pay debts. :)

OMG!, I have a Barclaycard (used to be skycard), and my current account is with Barclays! I am on top of my arranged payments and they froze the interest. However Dotty, would this cause a problem if I went down the enforceability route/CCA with my Barclaycard?

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

I have read on here where money has been taken out of peoples accounts to cover unpaid debts and one of the first things I was advised was to open a parachute account totally unconnected with any of my creditors.

If you were paying under an arrangement with RBS, how did they manage to get a charging order? My understanding is that this type of order is granted after a ccj is obtained and remained unpaid. Maybe I have got this wrong. I am sure others will come along to clarify.

You don't need to PM me (although its not a problem) but once anyone posts on your thread, they are sent a email to advise that another post has been added for you to read.

Don't think that I am an expert on here, I do have some knowledge from previous employment but it's been a while and lots of things have changed since (not for the better)!

I will offer any help if I can but most of it is from my experience on here. If you do request CCA's, start separate threads for each one in the appropriate bank or dept forums and you will find you get lots of help as you go along.

You can also click on my name and that will take you to my threads if you want to read any. MBNA x2, Halifax, Capital 1 and Sainsbury..... so far.

Hi Dotty, I have no idea why or how RBS got a final charging order on my house. I wanted to attend the hearing but Crewe County Court wrote to tell me the hearing was ajourned... unbeknown to me it went ahead on the origional date so I had no idea I should have been there. Got no appology from the court when I complained although they admitted they sent me the letter of ajournment.

Thank you for your advice and I will take a good look at your threads.

I may well set up a parachute account.... only trouble is.. whith whom??? The only bank I could open an account with (when escaping my creditors in order for me to sort CCCS payments out) was Barclays. Natwest refused as I was told it was connected to RBS and I had an unauthorised overdraft with them.... also claimed unfair bank charges against them.

Thanks

Surely that shouldn't have been allowed to happen! I personally would pursue this further for my own piece of mind. There are legal experts on here that may be able to assist, it seem so unjust.

As far as the parachute account is concerned, yes it's difficult to know where to go, with all the mergers. I opened a Nationwide current account but already had a savings account with them and did it prior to going down the CCA route.

Again, you will find advice on here, I know I have read threads about which current account is best or easiest if you have had problems. If you click on the Search bar and type in parachute accounts, that may help.

Keep reading and searching threads, it's very daunting at first and you think you will never get anywhere but you will eventually take in the advice given and will be able to move forward.

Thank you once again for your advice.

To be honest I need to concentrate on clearing my debts and have learned to live with the charging order after all that was done 2years ago now. The amount owing RBS with the charging order now stands at £5'700. I have heard it is only extreme circumstances that they order a sale of the property and I have never missed any payments.

The one thing I am definately going to do is go down the CCA route with MBNA..... they made my life a misery until I gave them higher monthly payments. Lloyds TSB have been ok with no harrassment, and so have skycard (Barclaycard).... they accepted £11.66 and froze interest and charges without any hassle.

Yes Dotty, I have learnt so much in the past few days of joining this group and I feel also I have alot to learn.

Dotty50 advised me to be careful if I have a CCard with the same company I bank with. Well I hav a Barclaycard and a Barclays current account. I have a payment agreement with interest frozen with BC and have kept up with payments so this does not worry me. However, If I go down the CCA route with BC and I prove unenforceability then am I at risk of the "offset rule"? Where they can empty my account to pay off the BC debt owing? I say "at risk" and not "are they allowed by law" to do this. The law cannot actually stop them doing this, they can only deal with it after the event. I can't afford for this to happen as I have bills and food to buy.

Any ideas?

Edited by benboy