style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3620 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I am currently bankrupt ( was in court in October)

I wanted to stand as an independent parlimentary candidate next year. Can I do this as an undischarged bankrupt or would I have to be discharged first?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

From BBC News....

Parliamentary elections in individual constituencies are called when an MP dies or resigns during a Parliament.

Other official causes for a seat to fall vacant - triggering a by-election - include the incumbent MP's bankruptcy, elevation to the peerage, or lunacy.

You'll find more info in the House of Commons Library under

BANKRUPTCY AND DISQUALIFICATION.

Click on this link....

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snpc-01767.pdf

Hope that this is of help.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Thanks Rooster.

I think Neil Hamilton was but not sure if he was whilst bankrupt??

No apparently, You can steal, rob cheat and lie after you become an MP, but they have this wierd sense of logic about "honourable"

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

I think Mr Hamilton's bankrupcy occured after he lost his seat to Martin Bell.

become a non dom and dont pay tax and you can become one

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

Isn't it odd that a bankrupt can't become an MP. When you look at the integrity of the current lot I am convinced that many bankrupts would have more humility and a higher ethical standard.

As a voter if I knew that the candidate for the seat had been bankrupt, I would have my doubts about them being able to manage any finances or issues. This is just an opinion and not a go at any one.

As a voter if I knew that the candidate for the seat had been bankrupt, I would have my doubts about them being able to manage any finances or issues. This is just an opinion and not a go at any one.

At least you know where you stand then.

The current lot (Broon in particular) have clearly shown their ability to manage finances.

At least you know where you stand then.

The current lot (Broon in particular) have clearly shown their ability to manage finances.

Surely you mean "their ability NOT to manage finances"? :)

Surely you mean "their ability NOT to manage finances"? :-)

I wouldn't want to foist my opinion on anyone else:)