momo1975

Help with unhelpful retailer and faulty laptop

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3627 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

i bought a lap top from Selfridges and now they are refusing to exchange and only will send of the manufacture to get a repair cost, this they said they woud do 1 week after i informed them of the problem.

the laptop after doing some research suffers with this problem and is common so maybe they were selling bad products?

the lap top was bought in early May 2008

Can i just insist on a replacement after all spending £800 on a lap top you expect it to last more than this!

thanks momo1975

You are entitled to a repair or replacement at the retailers decision dependent on the costs involved in each case. It is cheaper to repair items like this than replace them and as such they are allowed to go for this option.

You should however not have to pay anything, as long as its not accidental damage or misuse under the Sales of Goods Act 1979.

Ultimately, no you cannot insist on a replacement at this time.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Replacement after 19 months? No chance. 'Bad products' is not a relevant term - and you don;t say what the problem is. You may be asked to pay, howerver, depending on what the service centre delares the problem to be - all you can do is await their verdinct and hope it points to a free repair.