Werner M

waterdebt...bankruptcy???

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3621 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all, just a quick Question.

Can a person be made Bankrupt for a Waterdebt???

Thanks,...

:)

You can only be made bankrupt if you have a liability for a debt of £750 and above

In theory a petiton for your bankruptcy can be raised for any unsecured debt over £750 but if the debt is not that high such an application would be a disproportionate response and any court will accept what you can afford. It is usual for the water company to negotiate with you. If it is a DCA threat letter, they say anything to bully you for money and it is unlikely to be any more than a threat. However, it is a bill for a service and not credit so eventually must be paid.

You can only be made bankrupt if you have a liability for a debt of £750 and above

But if the debt is for less than this amount the DCA will add fees and charges to bring it over this level. Care needed!

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Hi again and many thanks for your advice.....my debt is well over the 750 threshold ( nearly 1500)...I will try and pay 40% off it and ask for instalments for the rest ....I've been paying a DCA (RW) for the last 4 years for a previous water

debt ( nearly finished now)....I had Bills but "put my Head in the Sand "for the first couple of years and then it just got too much for me to cope with it financially....but they never got in touch( Watercompany) with me neither...I've been on Incapacity ben. for the last few years and all the Bills are paid by my Partner who lived with me for the last 3 years...I know I should know better at

my age (62)...THANKS again!!

PS: the Watercompany has their in-house DCA on to me ( without any warning)..

Edited by Werner M

:)