Advice on rejecting a car?

claire0710
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help me out here please? I bought a car from a dealer and within a couple of days it was clear there was some faults. There was a grinding noise and vibration through the steering wheel when manoevering at low speeds, a strong burning smell from the rear wheels and excessive fuel consumption. The dealer had the car back to the garage twice and replaced the diff oil and then subsequently the diff.

This hasn't solved the problem and the dealer is several hundreds of pounds out of pocket. He has now offered a full refund as he doesn't want to spend anymore fixing the problem. However, here is the problem I have, I fully anticipated keeping the car and the problem being fixed so I had all the tyres replaced when I bought it. Although it passed an MOT they were all borderline illegal so advisory was issued. As it's a 4x4 and I have young children it was not safe to drive with nearly bald tyres, especially in winter.

So when the dealer has offered me the refund I have explained the tyres issue and said I would meet him halfway with the cost. He has flatly refused and I'm not sure where I stand legally. Does anyone know?

Unfortunately trading standards close their helpline at 1pm saturdays.

Is the car in the hands of the dealer or do you still have it. If you have it, take it to the tyre depot you got your new tyres and explain it to him and ask for some part worn tyres to be put on.

I think you would be ok if you had to proceed to a legal challenge against the dealer as you should not be out of pocket.

Your offer of half way is very generous but didn't have to be made.

I still have the car. He is argueing that he knocked £200 off the car on the basis that the tyres were borderline. However, my arguement is that he will be getting a car back that he can sell on with 4 new tyres on it!

Placing 4 part worn tyres on is still going to cost me money.

If you go back to where you bought the new tyres and explain I am sure he will be able to find something that is legal and only charge a little for fitting.

Did he actually say to you £200 off because of the tyres?

Please say what car it is. I have seen this problem before and hopefully is an easy fix. Don't belive the dealer has replaced the diff though as this would blow any profit they had on the car if done properley.

Its a Honda crv. He has replaced the diff, it was done under warranty. Unfortunately it was a recon diff that was knackered and he cant get his money back on it. So far the cost to him is £600+, he is refunding the car as it is no longer economically viable to repair it, he says.