Cataract is this negligence?

ROOI
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a cataract implant fitted 5 weeks ago and to say they have ruined my sight in my left eye is an understatement.

Went in for swab test all ok, as per literature given called the hospital to tell them I was taking anti-coagulants and told it was no problem keep taking the meds and come in as booked.

Went in for the operation, during which they dameged the first implant and had to make a larger incision in my eye to retrieve and implanted second lens. Arrived home with vision I can only describe as perfect, sharp clear excellent.

Two hours later I go blind in the eye they have operated on, called the help line number and told to go to A&E asap. Turned up and to say the least treated abominably by the Triage nurse. After some time the on call from opthalmolgy came down and after examination stated I had hemoraged into the eye. Told to go home keep still as possible and all should be well in a couple of days, but call if any further problem.

After 72 hours or so my sight did return in a fashion. I can now see the implant in the lower left quadrant of my eye my distance vision is very poor with no correct focus at any distance, I have lost about 15 degrees of periferral vison on the side operated on. Called the hospital help dsk number again and was told I should have an asap appointment and they would arrange and call me back, waited for 24 hours then began chasing them up eventually got an apopointment.

On arrival I was taken by the staff nurse for various tests and examinations. Told the stiches were ok and no ifection and that things may improve when the stitches were removed.

Have now had the stitches out and a further 3 appointments with absolutely no improvement at all. Have asked until I am blue in the face about what can be done to retrieve the situation and all I am getting are defensive such as it may be a faulty lens or my eye cold have changed shape, and despite many requests the only folk I get to see are the surgeons apprentices, the main man never comes near. I would add that at no time have I been in any way rude or discouteous to any menber of the hospital staff, after all I only want them at this stage to sort the problem.

Looking at the web site of the anti coagulant manufacturer it is tottaly unambiguous about cessation to take this medication when undergoing elective surgery.

I feel that the hemorage isthe cause of the poor sight, after all before this event the sight was so good.

The question is

1/ Has any one else suffered a similar problem?

2/ Has the hospital failed in its duty of care by failing to manage the risk regarding my medication prior to the operation?

:-x:-x:-x:-x

Please excuse any and all typo's not at my best at the momment

Edited by ROOI

I've never heard of anyone with a similar problem, but that means nothing really. :)

Starting to sound a bit like a broken record, I know, but I think the first port of call here is to ask for a second opinion, and try to get your eye sorted out. Have you spoken to your GP about this?

Was any of this mentioned to you as a possible outcome when you signed the consent form?

Hi MsWeathermax

Just been to my GP he has had a quick look and thinks the implant is off centre, he has suggested and is organising a second opinion.

Had these possible problems been even hinted at pre op I would have been out of there like a rocket.

After all I started with 20/20 viision in both eyes with a slight issue with low sun whilst driving in the left one

Thanks for the reply

Edited by ROOI

• 2 years later...

I'm a mother of a boy who is 5 years old. My son has cataract on both eyes. I went 2 Germany for his opperation. When he had his opperation he was 3 years old, a straight forward opperation that went badly wrong. As they told me it was a day case and went back 2 the hotel after the opperation, my son was asleep all day which I then noticed a high fever and vomating. I took him bk the next day early morning, when they took him in and did a few blood test and so on. After doing the test they found out that he had a bacterial infection in the eye that had his opperation. He was put back in hospital. His doctor was informed but did not come and see him or called him in for an emergency opperation. My son had the opperation on a Tuesday and his doctor did not see him till Monday where he then decided he had 2 have an emergency opperation, my son was neglected! His doctors knew he had the bacteria infection and did not see him, they were informed by the nurses about his eye and doctors would inform them 2 increase his antibiotic , but that didn't help at all, my son stayed 7 days without his doctor seeing him they were inform only by the phone by the nurses on the war. My son is now left blind in his right eye and has no chance of gaining back his eyesight. His eye has shrunked and has turned all white. The only treatment is cosmetic surgery