WTD and Christmas Parties

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

does the 11 hour minimum rest period apply when attending a work christmas function?

we have to attend the function if possible and it officialy ends at 12:30am in the morning. normally we would be at work at 8:30 am. does the WTD apply to these functions? can we expect to start no earlier than 11:30am the next day? managmenet have organised the party for a weeknight.

Unless the Christmas Function is part of your working contract, and you are being paid for it per contract, no the working times regulations do not apply.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

our contract states usual working hours but that we may from time to time be asked to work outside those hours. which we do quite a lot but do not get paid extra for that or overtime in most cases. i am not quite sure how that fits in with the contract.

does the 11 hour minimum rest period apply when attending a work christmas function?

we have to attend the function if possible and it officialy ends at 12:30am in the morning. normally we would be at work at 8:30 am. does the WTD apply to these functions? can we expect to start no earlier than 11:30am the next day? managmenet have organised the party for a weeknight.

our contract states usual working hours but that we may from time to time be asked to work outside those hours. which we do quite a lot but do not get paid extra for that or overtime in most cases. i am not quite sure how that fits in with the contract.

Hi MC,

If you worked for me and you were worried about this, i'd say "go home early then and we'll all carry on enjoying ourselves for an extra couple of hours safe in the knowledge that you'll be at work at 8.30 covering our rears". But that's purely my opinion (no offence intended)

Are you totally and completely obliged to attend this function? It's another option if not.

M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Nice to see the spirit of Christmas is alive and well.

It's a party!!!!

It's Christmas!!!!

If you worked for me and asked this i'd retract the invite on the grounds that you are being a party pooper.

I suppose them you'd post on here about discrimination.

Hammy :)

Edited by Hammy1962

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

I'd get slaughtered and just turn up late (done it many times lol) but please be aware that this may not be sound advice.

depends what you think you can get away with :D:D:D

M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Nice to see the spirit of Christmas is alive and well.

It's a party!!!!

It's Christmas!!!!

If you worked for me and asked this i'd retract the invite on the grounds that you are being a party pooper.

I suppose them you'd post on here about discrimination.

Not everybody likes these type of events and the OP should be completely free to go or not go as they please.

It rather seems the OP is obliged to attend the "party" which in my book makes it work!

PLEASE NOTE:

I limit myself to responding to threads where I feel I have enough knowledge to make a useful contribution. My advice (and indeed any advice on this type of forum) should only be seen as a pointer to something you may wish to investigate further. Never act on any forum advice without confirmation from an accountable source.

So, don't go, but attend work as usual and stop moaning about it.

If you really don't like it resign, there will be plenty of willing takers of a good job.

Nobody likes a misery guts.

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

So, don't go, but attend work as usual and stop moaning about it.

If you really don't like it resign, there will be plenty of willing takers of a good job.

Nobody likes a misery guts.

:D:D:D I think Hammy has a point.

M

Some firms virtually force you to go to their xmas party which does make it feel like work. And whilst the party might be free, they don't usually pay travel costs home. Used to cost me £40 in taxi's.

So, parties are good but there can be a down side too!

Unless you are in the Party business I really can't see how you would be forced to go to a party and make it feel like work.

It has to be said that some employees are more trouble than they are worth, they walk around with the rule book in one hand, a copy of the Working Time Directive in the other and manage to carry a cup of coffee as well.

This leaves them with very few limbs to actually do any work at all with. But, just try and get rid off them........................

They all end up on here getting tea and sympathy when actually, it's a Godsend they've gone.

I should stop now.

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Some firms virtually force you to go to their xmas party which does make it feel like work. And whilst the party might be free, they don't usually pay travel costs home. Used to cost me £40 in taxi's.

So, parties are good but there can be a down side too!

The way around this is to blow the party out, go to your local and have an extra 40 quid to spend on a cracking night out. Next day - phone in sick (which is why you never turned up for the party in the first place :D).

Can't lose surely.

M

I remember my old workplaces xmas party. It was an awards night/xmas do. You know, the usual members of staff who win every year, cos they're related to the boss kind of affair! Well, we were told it was compulsaty, but we weren't getting paid for it, but would be given a drink on the way in.

i think me and my mate lasted 5 minutes, then left for the pub. After we left, the HR manager stood guard on the door and wouldn't let anyone out, and it's been that way ever since! Once you're in, you don't get out at all!

I should stop now.

Please!

PLEASE NOTE:

I limit myself to responding to threads where I feel I have enough knowledge to make a useful contribution. My advice (and indeed any advice on this type of forum) should only be seen as a pointer to something you may wish to investigate further. Never act on any forum advice without confirmation from an accountable source.

:D:D:D I think Hammy has a point.

M

I don't think so. Why can't it just be a person's choice whether they enjoy this type of thing; why should someone have to give up their job for not having identical social interests to everyone else? Perhaps if we knew what the OP's job was it would help judge if a party is a genuine requirement of that job.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

OPs first post says attendance of the function is "if possible". Don't think loss of job is an issue, just loss of sleep the next morning.

Personally i'd blow it out and go for this..........

The way around this is to blow the party out, go to your local and have an extra 40 quid to spend on a cracking night out. Next day - phone in sick (which is why you never turned up for the party in the first place :grin:).

Can't lose surely.

M

Must admit our old Xmas parties were good. Everything was paid for except taxi home and, on the odd occasion they fell on a week night, there was an unwritten rule that as long as we were in for 11 the next morning, it was OK.

Doubt it would have been OK if we hadn't gone and then rang in sick though!!!

Must admit our old Xmas parties were good. Everything was paid for except taxi home and, on the odd occasion they fell on a week night, there was an unwritten rule that as long as we were in for 11 the next morning, it was OK.

That's MCs point! If 11 the next morning was OK there wouldn't be a problem :)

M

I remember my old workplaces xmas party. It was an awards night/xmas do. You know, the usual members of staff who win every year, cos they're related to the boss kind of affair! Well, we were told it was compulsaty, but we weren't getting paid for it, but would be given a drink on the way in.

i think me and my mate lasted 5 minutes, then left for the pub. After we left, the HR manager stood guard on the door and wouldn't let anyone out, and it's been that way ever since! Once you're in, you don't get out at all!

W....T....fffF! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've heard now that they actually lock the doors of the venue so you're forced to sit through the owners, "aren't I marvellous cos I donate lots of money to charity" speech.

A quiet word to the fire officer would sort this out!

PLEASE NOTE:

Please!

I could go on all night, you see, I'm one of those dreaded Manager types. I have to put up with jobsworths, knowitalls, union 'experts', trade experts, H&bloodyS experts, experts on contact law, experts on employment law, the list is endless and they all work, supposedly, for me. Thing is if they are so clever............why are they working for a pittance under me.

Makes me smile everyday!

GARUDALINUX.ORG