joedee2k

Advice / Thoughts on what happened today.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3624 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I'm currently working on supply at a school as an admin and i've been there nearly 12 months, i've been waiting for the job to come up permanently to apply for it for over 6 months.

Our school is split over 2 sites and we have 2 sets of admins. At the other site there is a lady in exactly the same position, supply for over 12 months and awaiting a permanent post to come up there.

I work with my line manager who is a permanant employee of the council and who is covering a 'scale 3' job (hers is a scale 2) and for me to apply for a permanent job on my site i must wait for her scale 2 to become free once she's applied for the scale 3 job officially. (are you following this!?)

We were then told that the admin jobs were coming up for advertisement soon and that the scale 2 at the other site will come up first, then the scale 3 at ours THEN the scale 2 would be free for me to apply for. I work 3 days out of 5, and came in on a Weds a few weeks ago to find out that the other sites Scale 2 would be advertised. The lady who would be applying for the job actually wrote the job advert herself. We were told that any jobs that came up would need to be advertised for 'redeployment' council candidates first, then go internally for internal council emplyees THEN go to an external vacancy for us 'supply staff' and anyone else to apply for.

I arrived in the following Weds to find out my college had applied for the job and it was live (fine, it was for her site not mine) and that friday the application closed - with one further applicant from elsewhere.

The scale 3 job was then put up and my line manager applied and got the job (she was the only applicant anyway) and i awaited the Scale 2 now becoming free.

Today they interviewed for the Scale 2 other site post.

I never saw the job advert as i came in Weds and it was closed Friday.

The interview panel was a member of the senior management team, my line manager and the other sites line manager (the LM of the lady doing the job currently), my line manager found out just prior to the interview today that these interviews were for BOTH posts. 'My' job i'm doing at the moment and the lady at the other sites position.

My line manager got quite upset and angry that i was never told it was both jobs (i didnt even know it had gone up until the Weds) and she kicked up a massive fuss about it. The senior manager who was also on the panel checked with the head for her views and were told "well she had plenty of time to apply for it" .... upon this information reporting back to her my line manager pointed out that at the time the Scale 2 was advertised HER scale 3 wasnt up yet so there wasnt another scale 2 available at that point as she was still employed in the other scale 2 position.

With major words (i was sat obliviously doing my job while all this was going on btw) they called me in after the interviews and told me the situation and offered me an interview next week. I was still oblivious to the fact that it was two posts and said "but why do i need to apply for this job, i'm waiting for our site to come up" until they explained that they'd decided only to interview once and it was two jobs.

I wanted to see what other people thought of this.

Turns out the job advert never said it was two posts (i have a copy here now) and it never actually went to advertisement externally so i would have never seen it.

Technically we (both supply staff) should never have been able to apply for it anyway as we're not internal staff, i also know that the lady who applied had coaching from the people on the interview panel about the questions going to be asked, the advert as it was written by her also is worded to her job description and pretty much nothing to do with mine.

If it wasnt for the fact that my line manager was on the panel i wouldnt have known anything about the fact that they were interviewing for 'my' own job.

I feel really angry about it tbh, its almost as if they didnt want me to know. I was only happily chatting to the deputy head yesterday about how soon she thought the other scale 2 would come up, and i feel like i'm pretty much being given an interview just for the sake of it and only because my line manager basically threatened to walk out. I have a really good working relationship with everyone - or at least i thought i did but i dont know if i can get my head around the fact that if it wasnt for my line manager and a technicallity i wouldnt have been any of the wiser, we're not a big school either we only have 60 pupils.

Any thoughts people. (i was so angry earlier i nearly walked myself!) :rolleyes:

Personally,I think its unbelievable that you would expect such a complicated puzzle as you have laid out to happen exactly as you expected in your favour!! you dont have any grounds to appeal or anything cos your whole point of view is based on just that,your point of view!! someone else might come along with a diff opinion,im sure.:D

I don't think there's much you can do about this, even though it leaves a nasty taste. I work in a school as well and have seen similar things go on with internal applicants in the place I work now and the one previous to that. A lot of the job ads have already been decided before the ad goes out... people just go through the motions because it has to be seen to be done a certain way.

I left my previous job because of favouritism towards incompetent staff.... and I'm currently at loggerheads with my line manager in my current job for standing up for myself.... but that's another thread. :rolleyes:

Personally,I think its unbelievable that you would expect such a complicated puzzle as you have laid out to happen exactly as you expected in your favour!! you dont have any grounds to appeal or anything cos your whole point of view is based on just that,your point of view!! someone else might come along with a diff opinion,im sure.:D

Where did i mention any form of appeal or taking anything further, my hands are tied if i dont apply they've already got someone lined up for the job and i would be out before Xmas, my only choice is to go to interview.

What do you mean As I expected in my favour? Given i've been working bloody hard for a year in a job that i'm underpaid for and that i've been told by the headteacher is coming up for interview for me to apply go permanent and be paid in the 6 weeks holidays rather than have to sign on again and get into more debt, given how the job roles have to become available by the councils own guidelines and processes and how the advertisement process will work to be fair has been discussed for months prior to this, this is not my view this is how the system works (or is supposed to)

The job was advertised before it was free and the job i'm doing is completely different to the job that did go up. To be expected to apply for a job i cannot get access to seeing (it never went to external advert) while the other candidate is coached for the interview by the headteacher and as i found out today was given copies of the questions she would be asked prior to interview by a member of the panel surely i'm allowed to be a bit annoyed and i dont think it was done very well.

I now have to sit this interview knowing the only reason i am being interviewed now is as my line manager threatened to quit.

P1, i've also been told that this is commonplace too in other schools with internal jobs. :x