Vodafone - Nokia N97 issue

Marc4000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

another Vodafone problem.

I recently toook out a contract with Vodafone and after the usual contract errors I had it sorted. Well until after about 3 month my Nokia N97 is falling to bits. The casing is falling of and the sliding unlock key has fallen off.

I sent this off for repairs as they are manufacturers faults but had the phone returned to me unfixed and citing water damage as the cause. Strange I have not dropped the phone in a puddle or anything. Apparently atmospheric pressure or rain may have cause it.

The only response from Vodafone is NOT MY PROBLEM.

So whos problem is it any advice. I have wrtten a complaint letter (about this and the dire customer service, how do they still get away with it) to the usual channels but do not have high hopes as I am yet to see one postive post from avodafone complaint procedure.

So they have sent me a faulty handset, wont fix it for another problem that is not my fault. Customer service couldn't care less

Please help I do not know where to go next

Thank

Marc400

There is a little white sticker underneath the battery at the back of the phone and if it gets wet it changes colour. Check if the sticker has changed colour, if it hasn't then Vodafone are trying to pull a fast one.

If it has changed colour then there must have been some kind of contact with water regardless of whether you know about it. It's best to ensure that you keep your phone clear of any damp areas or areas where condensation can build up (ie. in the bathroom whilst the shower is on). However I can't see how rain could have caused such an issue unless it was heavy and the phone was left in the rain.

There's always the option of reporting it to the OFT but I'm not too sure that you'd have a valid case unfortunately.

There is a little white sticker underneath the battery at the back of the phone and if it gets wet it changes colour. Check if the sticker has changed colour, if it hasn't then Vodafone are trying to pull a fast one.

If it has changed colour then there must have been some kind of contact with water regardless of whether you know about it. It's best to ensure that you keep your phone clear of any damp areas or areas where condensation can build up (ie. in the bathroom whilst the shower is on). However I can't see how rain could have caused such an issue unless it was heavy and the phone was left in the rain.

There's always the option of reporting it to the OFT but I'm not too sure that you'd have a valid case unfortunately.

Just the slightest bit of moisture is enough to change the colour of the litmus paper(white or pink striped sticker).

There are indicators on the inside! The litmus paper is not the only one and there are strips on the inside of the casing too, not just underneath and on the batter compartment, they can tell from oxidisation on components and the mainboard.

Did they send you picture evidence of the internal damage due to water? Your entitled to get a second opinion (at your expense or send it to the manufacturer) and dispute findings.

Sale of goods act would apply and you might find something useful in CPUT.

Did you "buy" through Voda direct or through a third party. You should contact the original vendor.

TS may be able to help.

Alternately as the phone is relatively new - Nokia themselves may be able to help.

This thread is relevant. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telecoms-mobile-fixed/237868-faulty-handset-contract.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOGA does NOT apply if they assert water damage. This is classed as abuse and further action ill-advised. The issue of water damage can be fraught - but if you can have your OEN repairer confirm there isn't water damage, then there is still all to play for.

HI

Thanks all for the advice,

The white sticker under the batttery pack is still white and unchanged. I got the phone as part of a contract deal directly from Vodafone and when it was returned to me there was a picture but to be honest I couldn't make out which part of the phone it was as it was very close up shot.

Although I do not think there is any water damage my main greivance is that because they say it has water damage they wont fix manufactuerers faults. Do you think it is worth contacting Nokia seperatly to see what they think??? That may be a bit of a dead end also I would guess.

If I were you I would do as Buzby says and have OEN repairer look at it and confirm whether it is actually water damage first, it's always better to get a second opinion. If you have a big Carphone Warehouse store near you that has a 'repair shop' it MAY be worth letting them have a look but you'd be best to find out if they'd charge and how much first.

If it is water damage then pursue with the manufacturer, but given the situation I'd presume it'd be a case of your word against theirs. But don't just take my word for it, I've known to be wrong... on the odd occassion :) lol

Generally a complaint is a good and straight forward approach to resolve a matter, however I believe they will just respond with something along the lines of 'I'm sorry that you feel the need to complaint but.....blah blah blah, tough luck'. That's why you'll have a stronger case if you get your handset looked at, especially since the sticker is white. There are indicators on the inside but its not common for them to be effected by moisture with out there being a clear explanation and you've already stated that you haven't exposed it to anything that could cause this.

If the examination of your handset proves that there has been no water damage; get this in writing and send it to Vodafone. Ensure that the letter is formal and clear that it has been assessed by someone who knows what they are doing.

If Vodafone still refuse then I'd suggest you seek advice from the OFT.

You won;t be the first person to be told 'water damage' on a handset with none - the number of mistakes can be legion, as often those identified as such do NOT go onto the the diagnostics machine. With the patch still white, you could also go back tp the shop and say the repairer is talking nonsense, as the moisture detector has NOT been activated... that is assuming you can trust them again!

It is a difficult one, I might wait to see what reply I get from the complaint.

Then either get it fixed elsewhere and send them the bill (not favoured as I dont think they would ever pay) or get it looked at and appeal. again Vodafone I would guess would laugh me of also.

I am very tempted to go to a Nokia store and seek their advice as perhaps a letter from Nokia explaining there is no water damage should work.

I dont know, I am really hoping now I will get the chance to sened it all back and cancel the contract. But I would guess there is little to no chance of that happpening.

Hi Marc4000,

In these sort of instances I'd echo the advice you've already been given by buzby and Wethers82 and approach another authorised repair for a second opinion.

Once you've done this let us know what they say and we'll take things from there.

If you haven't already received a reply to your email feel free to get in touch with the Web Relations Team by following the instructions in our pinned thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telecoms-mobile-fixed/213340-vodafone-webteam-customers-problems.html and we'll see what's happening with it.

Many thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK