Jump to content


Advantis Credit - Advice needed Please?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3578 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



I have recently received a demand from Advantis Credit acting for United Utilities for the sum of £928.55

I did not reply and now they have sent a second letter.


They say it is for an unpaid amount relating to Water service charges at my previous address for the period ending 24.11.07


I left that address in December 2002 and am not sure what this refers to.

Can someone advise me how to proceed?



Should I contact Advantis or should I contact United Utilities?


Any advice gratefully received.


Transcript of letters below.


Letter 1 received 26.11.09

Letter 2 received 11.12.09


Thank you.


Letter 1:

We have been instructed by our client, United Utilities Group Plc, to make arrangements to collect a debt which their records show as being outstanding. This debt is for an unpaid amount relating to Water service charges supplied to (Address I vacated in 2002) for the period ending 24/11/07.

Please contact us immediately on 0845 402 2430 to arrange repayment of this debt.

Alternatively you can pay via one of the methods overleaf which includes details of how you can pay online.

If you believe that you may not be liable for this outstanding amount it is important that you contact us immediately. Failure to contact us within 10 days of the date of this letter will result in further action being taken to recover this debt.


Letter 2:

Advantis provide professional services to a number of large organisations within the UK. We have been instructed by our client, United Utilities Group Plc, to verify the current whereabouts of (My Name), formally resident at (Address I vacated in 2002), in relation to an outstanding business matter.

We are writing to verify that we have your correct contact address. If you are the person named above please contact us on 0845 402 2688 to discuss the business matter that requires your urgent attention.

Please accept our apologies if you are not the person named above. We would appreciate it if you would please call us on 0845 402 2688 to confirm this so that we may update our records.

If you do not contact us we will assume that you are the correct person and we will contact you again in order that we can get the matter resolved.

Edited by Billy_Beaumont

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Send them something similar to this:



To whom it may concern, Ref: Insert Reference Here




You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself. I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (Insert Name here). I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question. I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods. Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment. I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question. I now request a copy of your complaints procedures within 14 days, if you fail to provide me with these or I do not receive confirmation that you will no longer be pursuing this matter, I will have no choice but to make complaints to the Office of Fair Trading, my local MP, Trading Standards and the Financial Ombudsman. Yours,


Dont sign, print your name.


It is up to them to prove that you owe the money.If they cannot prove the debt is yours,dont worry. Send the letter registered,keep a copy,and be prepared for them to send another letter to you.They did this to my G\F several times before I sent them this letter, an then they stopped. DO NOT PHONE THEM EVER.WRITING ONLY AND SEND REGISTERED. Advantis are well known for this. hope this has helped

Advantis Blank.doc

Edited by diaz101
added letter

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply,


Should I tell them I have lived at my present address since 2002?


Also, if they telephone me, how should I deal with that?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is purely I suspect a fishing exercise from them, IF they phone, where will they get your number from? politely explain that you only deal in writing and that if they continue to call, on what is after all, your private telephone number, that you consider it harassment. QUOTE the following "I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine." You can also add this to the letter i previously gave if they continue to call you. You dont have to give them ANY information on where you live or for how long,they can get this themselves, however, if your happy to give them this information and you are definately not liable for this utilities debt, then that decision is up to you, I however would not give them anything other than the standard "prove i owe it letter" Companies like this make money by scaring people into paying for things they do not owe. Until they can prove you owe the debt, just keep sending them the letters,likek I previously said, they will probably send a few more as happened to my GF, but if you genuinely do not owe the money,then they will get the message and leave you alone. regards

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Diaz has given you some good advice. To help out, here is the link to the letters Diaz has recommended:


Harassment by telephone - Consumer Wiki




Highlight,copy and paste them to your word processing program then edit as nescessary.


I would point out to them that you left the property in 2002. I'm sure you are on the electoral register.


Insist on no futher communications as you are not the debtor.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both for your advice.


I will do that on Monday.


Is it OK if I post here again if they reply?


Thanks again



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again.


I sent them the letter suggested by Diaz by 1st class recorded on the 15.12.09.


On the 19.12.09 I received another letter from them dated the 14.12.09 (the day before I wrote to them) giving me ten days to pay up.


Do you think I should reply to this?


Many thanks




14.12.09 Letter:




This debt is for an unpaid amount relating to Water service charges supplied to (Address I vacated in 2002) for the period ending 24/11/07.


Unless payment is made within ten days of the date of this letter an agent may be instructed to visit your premises to collect the debt personally or legal proceedings for the recovery thereof may be commenced without further notice or warning.


This may result in the issue of a County Court Claim or if resident in Scotland a Sheriff’s Court Writ against you. Should this prove necessary we will seek all fixed costs and fees together with statutory interest on the outstanding balances.


In the event that a County Court Judgment (CCJ) is obtained it will be recorded on the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines, or if a Sheriff’s Decree is obtained details of the decree will be passed by the Court to The Registry Trust. The obtaining of a CCJ or a Decree may seriously affect your ability to secure credit in the future.

If a Judgment or Decree remains unsatisfied a Bailiff or Sheriff Officer may be instructed to recover assets from you to discharge the “New Balance” of your debt or we may apply to your employer for an Attachment of Earnings or we may apply for a Charging Order against your property, if owned by you.

If you dispute liability for this debt please state your reasons in writing and supply documents in support of your defence to any claim. If you fail to notify us of any potential dispute prior to the issue of proceedings and you subsequently file a defence we reserve the right to show this letter to the Court.


To prevent further action being taken call Advantis Credit now on 0845 402 2430.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Billy, dont worry, this seems to have been an issue of crossed post, I would follow silverfox's advice and write the prove it letter,again pointing out you have were not there at that time,after all this is a letter before action, which means bugger all. I can write you a letter before action and say all the things they have.Does that mean you will pay me the money instead???? relax,enjoy christmas regards ps there is also a letter that you can send to stop doorstep visits without your express premission, its in the templates of the silverfox post.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all,


I just recieved the above letter from Advantis Credit saying they were going to send someone unless payment is made in 10 days cc claim and CCJ etc


It was on behalf of Ikano for £133.96 I made the mistake of phoning and asking them

1 Who the company was.

2 What the money was for.

3 The dates of when I owed this money.

4 I am not in the habbit of owing money and have no Idea what this is for


The rather rude operator told me he could not provide those details and if I paid then I could dispute it.

I then told him I was not born yesterday and would not send money to just anyone who sent a threatning letter and would be sending a letter of complaint.

I just sent all the above letter and Ill let you know what they say.


Thanks all



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...