Is there a law which states PPI is not compulsory

Buzzybee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5238 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am in the process of taking my bank to court as they missold me PPI (the court has cashed my cheque now and I am getting all my documents together for my day in court!).

I wanted to know where abouts in English law it states that payment protection insurance is not compulsory and I should be given the opportunity by my bank to shop around for a cheaper policy.

Is there anything mentioned in the Consumer Credit Act to say it is not compulsory?

Could anyone help please?

Thanks

Edited by Buzzybee

..urm.

me thinks you need to do some reading in the ppi forum

it is most def NOT compulsory!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

it will be on the agreement you signed

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

There is no law, not in English law, that says or does not say PPI is or is not compulsory.

Som epeople claim PPI is not fair or rather is unfair under the consumer Credit Act 1974 because often with prepaid PPI (that is PPI that is paid first and the interest is added) because:

1, IT is the most expensive way to pay for PPI

2. usually the terms of the PPI are not explained in detail so that we do not know that the limits are onerous. i.e. the repayments for redundency are only for 30 payments in a 60 payment term

3. sometimes the sickness benefit will be paid only for a period of 12 months in a 60 month contract so it s not much use

4. You need to read the contract carefully to see if they have breached any of the terms

5 It is their duty to advice you of the suitablility of the PPI and even sign point you to other types if need be see OFT854 online

6. If it breaches the Unfair Terms in Contract Reglations for instance if the contract is pre printed and not individiauly negotiated you can claim it is unfair, although you will have to prove itis unfair.

You need to send off a SAR with £10 and try and get a copy of the original agreement signed by both parties, not a copy but an original. If they don't send the original you are entitled to ask to see it at some bank or solicitor's office.

When you get the original agreement signed by both parties then you need study it carefully and see if the terms were properly explained to you, if they were not then you may have a claim.

You must persever and this site usaually advices people to get a SAR before they do anything else.

regards

Ieuan