Buzzybee

Is there a law which states PPI is not compulsory

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3612 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I am in the process of taking my bank to court as they missold me PPI (the court has cashed my cheque now and I am getting all my documents together for my day in court!).

I wanted to know where abouts in English law it states that payment protection insurance is not compulsory and I should be given the opportunity by my bank to shop around for a cheaper policy.

Is there anything mentioned in the Consumer Credit Act to say it is not compulsory?

Could anyone help please?

Thanks

Edited by Buzzybee

interesting question

you have to agree to ppi

you sign a form for this to be legal

no signature, no ppi

is the bank saying its compulsory and is it in writing

..urm.

me thinks you need to do some reading in the ppi forum

it is most def NOT compulsory!!

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

I know it's not compulsory but I wanted the part in law/consumer credit act which states that it isn't compulsory so I can present it to the Judge.

it will be on the agreement you signed

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Thanks, I have that agreement. If that's the part of the consumer credit act it relates to then I'll have a read of the act. :)

There is no law, not in English law, that says or does not say PPI is or is not compulsory.

Som epeople claim PPI is not fair or rather is unfair under the consumer Credit Act 1974 because often with prepaid PPI (that is PPI that is paid first and the interest is added) because:

1, IT is the most expensive way to pay for PPI

2. usually the terms of the PPI are not explained in detail so that we do not know that the limits are onerous. i.e. the repayments for redundency are only for 30 payments in a 60 payment term

3. sometimes the sickness benefit will be paid only for a period of 12 months in a 60 month contract so it s not much use

4. You need to read the contract carefully to see if they have breached any of the terms

5 It is their duty to advice you of the suitablility of the PPI and even sign point you to other types if need be see OFT854 online

6. If it breaches the Unfair Terms in Contract Reglations for instance if the contract is pre printed and not individiauly negotiated you can claim it is unfair, although you will have to prove itis unfair.

You need to send off a SAR with £10 and try and get a copy of the original agreement signed by both parties, not a copy but an original. If they don't send the original you are entitled to ask to see it at some bank or solicitor's office.

When you get the original agreement signed by both parties then you need study it carefully and see if the terms were properly explained to you, if they were not then you may have a claim.

You must persever and this site usaually advices people to get a SAR before they do anything else.

regards

Ieuan