Cabot - I really need help now!

Boss-man
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I really need some advice with my ongoing battles with cabot. I posted a thread a while back about them chasing me for an alleged credit card.

I sent them a CCA request and they provided an application form (copy attached) which did contain a signature, although its not possible to tell if its mine or not. I checked it against other docs with my signature on

from that time period and it looks nothing like it. If anything it looks more like my current signature - could they have borrowed it from somehwere? It also refers to supporting documents which they provided a copy of. These documents are just general terms and conditions, although it does state the interst rate and minimum payment of £5 or 2% of the balance. There is no credit limit mentioned. Also, the supporting documents have a space at the top which says agreement between the two parties - both are blank.

As part of the first response they also provided me with statements for someone elses account, crossing out the name and account number on the first one and writing mine by hand over it.

I wrote to them telling them that the CCA was invalid and the statements were fake.

I've now got a reply from them (copy attached) basically filled with lots of jargon but saying the agreement is enforceable.

I really need some advice on the validity of what they are saying and how to go from here.

Thanks in advance,

Bossman

Cabot.doc

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be better if we could see what they actually sent. Altering documents for pecuniary gain ie the statements, is fraud and you can report that to the police and get a crime number for it. As for a reponse to Cabot, if you haven't already done so I would send them the Account in Dispute letter to their complaints department then ignore them thereafter. You don't need help -Cabot definitely do.

Hi Pinky,

I have attached a copy of what Cabot have sent and are saying at the bottom of my original post. Its a word doc which includes Cabots letter and a copy of the supposed CCA they sent. The supporting documents with the CCA are very small print and wont scan. The docs supporting the CCA are just standard t&c's but contains interest rate and minimum payment as £5 or 2%, but doesnt detail credit limit or payment dates.

Although their letter says the account will currently remain on hold they have now started chasing me again.

I really need someone to advise whether what they say in the attached letter is true.

Thanks guys

Bossman

Ah - I have found the application form. They are correct in their letter about what they need to send in a copy but unfortunately for them 1) your signature isn't clear 2) you have fake statements 3) the rest of the application form is illegible. To sum up they don't have a enforceable agreement - no surprises there with Cabot - and you can tell them to sling their hook.

Cheers Pinky,

So am I right in thinking that even though they are saying the form I allegedly signed mentions further documents and the basic prescribed terms are not present on the form with my supposed signature on there that then makes it unenforceable.

What should I write back and tell them?

Thanks for your help.

Bossman

The form may mention further documents but unless the prescribed terms - interest rate,repayment schedule and credit limit - are in the same section of the agreement as the signature box then they are up the duff. Also the fact that the statements are faked is not something they can have produced in court. I would send the Account in Dispute letter to their complaints department and then just ignore them.

cabots at the moment are trying to play hard ball, with all their 'customers' this is due to the fact that last financial year they made a 6m loss, this has hit them hard and they are trying every which way they can to get people to pay... i currently have an application form which they insist is enforceable

in the end i have told them to 'put up or shut up' but i think they are going to keep on and on.. they just will not at the moment take no for an answer

£6m loss!

I'm glad to be part of that when they wasted £140 on court fees trying to get a CCJ, and when challenged, they didn't respond to my defence and case struck out.

I live really close to their offices and keep telling myself I should apply for a job there, just for a short while and would enclose notes to all customers to ignore their letters and seek CAG :D

Hmmm wonder if I, TLTS could bring Crapbot down.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I get the feeling I'm going to get the same problem as you debt4get.

Another dispute letter going off to them today. Any advice as to what to put in it would be helpful - should I point out what Pinky said above, that as the main section and signature are not on the same document as and prescribed terms they can get lost?

Thanks again,

Bossman

Cabot are great at thinking up ways to make you believe its enforcable when in fact it is not.

We have supporting documents...............

.......AND ??? what are they going to do with them ? Make a hat ?

wow i am now in the 'pre litigation department

and i quote from crapbots latest missive

if we dont hear from you one of the following options will occur

a warrant of execution. this instructs bailiffs to remove items from your hom and sell them to repay your debt.

a charging order. a charge will be placed on your property which means if you sell your property the charge will have to be repaid from the proceeds.

an attachment of earninings. this is a method by which money will be deducted from your wages

an order to obtain information. you will have to attend court to be questioned under oath

an external debt collection agency or legal agency. calling on you

i am plumping for the last one seeing how crapbot are going to need a ccj and default on a ccj before we go anywhere near the others... i keep telling them put the bloody thing before a court... but still they continue to write this crap

Boss-man - careful with your wording. It won't matter anyway because it is Cabot but best to show them you know what you are talking about. The prescribed terms need to be in the same section of the agreement as the signature box. If one document consists of the application form, for example, the prescribed terms don't need to be on the same page but on a page that is clearly linked to he application form - it might just say "Page 2" on it with a date in the corner. I just thought I would clarify that if you are going to put that in your letter. Personally I would just send them an Account in Dispute letter to their complaints department then ignore them and let them waste their money writing endless letters for nothing.

Thats the one you will get.

A company called FIRE who will send some threat letters then a 'Make us an offer' letter.

FIRE is Cabot in disguise. They are nothing to be concerned about. Just continue to ignor.

i recieved one of these stupid one of the following actions will occur letters from them two weeks ago , i just wrote in marker pen GO AHEAD THEN in big letters across it then sent it back to them , today i got a letter saying DO NOT IGNORE we are now moving your debt upto the next state , if you do not pay immediatley we will either pass your debt on to our external collection team or commence legal action if your account meets our litigation criteria , god i'm bricking it

Hello Boss-man.

Cabot currently have me on the signature/application form but have no prescribed terms in reference anywhere on the barely readable microfiche.

They’re currently telling me that because I’ve made payments on the account in March 2008 I’ve admitted the debt is mine and therefore I’m bang to rights. I’m claiming I only paid because of the constant telephone harassment and letter bombardment of which I have evidence after SAR’ing them.

I’ve had the account in dispute for a while now, and like has already been mentioned they’re playing hardball with people like me and you in the hope of scaring us into paying what we just cannot afford.

Hang in there pal, plenty in the same boat.

wow i am now in the 'pre litigation department

and i quote from crapbots latest missive

if we dont hear from you one of the following options will occur

a warrant of execution. this instructs bailiffs to remove items from your hom and sell them to repay your debt.

a charging order. a charge will be placed on your property which means if you sell your property the charge will have to be repaid from the proceeds.

an attachment of earninings. this is a method by which money will be deducted from your wages

an order to obtain information. you will have to attend court to be questioned under oath

i am plumping for the last one seeing how crapbot are going to need a ccj and default on a ccj before we go anywhere near the others... i keep telling them put the bloody thing before a court... but still they continue to write this crap

My point exactly it all sounds scary on paper, but they forget to mention all of the above needs a court victory which is doubtful knowing they deal with unenforceable DEBT.

cabot 6 million

Cattles several hundred million

we wish a merry, we wish you a merry......:D

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am sending them the account in dispute letter and leaving it at that for now.

What I need to be clear on is they have sent me a copy of the application form with a supposed signature on it. From what I can read the application form refers to supporting documents which by signing the form you agree to. These supporting documents refer to interest rates and minimum payments but thats all they contain in relation to prescribed terms. All the other detail in there is about missing payments, default charges etc etc etc.

Does this mean that the agreement is then unenforceable?

Also, if they did get to court with this could I use it against them that they provided statements under my CCA and SAR request that were for someone elses account and crossed the name and account number out?

They have since sent further statements which they claim relate to the account but only cover a 12 month period when they application form states the account was opened in 1997. Again, the are not official statements but computer print outs.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Bossman

Edited by Boss-man

Hi All,

Would something along the lines of this be suitable?

Any advice appreciated

Thank you for your response dated {xxxxxxxxx} to my request under the Consumer Credit Act section 78.

This is now your second correspondence providing documentation purporting to be a valid credit agreement and the contents of your response indicate that this documentation you have provided is a true copy of the original and valid credit agreement.

As you are fully aware the document sent purporting to be a credit agreement does not contain the prescribed terms as required by Section 60(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) made under the authority of the “1974 Act” sets out what the prescribed terms are, I refer you to Schedule 6 Column 2 of SI 1983/1553 for the definition of what is required. Suffice to say these terms are not present in any of the documentation provided thus far rendering it totally un-enforceable.

I would draw your attention to section 60 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which states your responsibility in providing documentation in relation to Consumer Credit Agreements which clearly states that it is your legal responsibility to provide a valid Consumer Credit Agreement.

Since this document does not contain the required prescribed terms it is rendered totally unenforceable by s127 (3) consumer Credit Act 1974.

You have now failed to provide the information within the required timescale and are now in default of this request. Whilst an account is in dispute, you are not permitted to ask for any payment, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you. Furthermore, whilst the dispute remains, you are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, make any further charges to the account or pass the account to anybody else.

Please note you may also consider this letter a statutory notice under Section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect. This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies including any defaults.

POSSIBLE Letter when a questionable agreement/application is sent.

The prescribed terms must be in the same section of the agreement as the signature box. If there is nothing obvious that links them then it is not an agreement. You are home and dry on the statements - they tried to pass off someone else's statements as yours then sent you something completely different - that would never stand up in court. Cabot are now desperate and are not above concocting documents to argue their case. Threaten them with court action for fraud and they will run a mile.