Housing benefit help

NZRose
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5239 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine is having problems with their Housing benefit - they moved into their property before the new LHA rules came in and their housing benefit was sent at a level that was under their current rent level - they have been trying to pay the excess but have built up some arrears which the landlord is now demanding that they clear by paying an extra £90 a week which they haven't got.

If they were on the LHA for the area it would cover the current rent but she's been told as her claim started before April 2008 she can not get her housing benefit increased surely there must be a way for her to get her housing benefit changed to the new rate without moving or stopping and restarting her claim

Now when I went for housing benefit it was a seven visit nightmare to the offices with more and more data for them to copy and send on. If I'm right everything is centralised in Greater Manchester for the whole country. My claim was earlier this year.

Each area has specifics depending on people, age and area and of course income. A swift visit to your local council website will have links so you can see the allowances yourself. The fact that you might pay say £150 a week rent does not mean you will get that. The allowance is basically a figure based on each size of property - if you are very lucky you might even be allowed more but that is very seldom. In the same way say that you are renting a 3-bed property but you are a married couple with no children means you get an allowance for a 1 bedroom property and nothing more.

This link will be the key to it all:

Housing Benefit : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

It can only be done by breaking the claim for a week and swallowing the loss. Your friend has to consider whether the increased benefit afterwards makes it worth it.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

It can only be done by breaking the claim for a week and swallowing the loss. Your friend has to consider whether the increased benefit afterwards makes it worth it.

at the oment she is trying to find £160 a month for the shortfull whereas the LHA for a property of her size & requirements would cover it in full - do they not reasses Housing benefit on a yearly basis