Bailiffs went to my old address - help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My old next door neighbour told me yesterday that bailiffs turned up at my old address asking for me. I hardly slept last night panicking that they would turn up at my new house with no warning. I have no idea what it is for. Do they have a right to just turn up, or will it be referred back to the creditor? Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

My old next door neighbour told me yesterday that bailiffs turned up at my old address asking for me. I hardly slept last night panicking that they would turn up at my new house with no warning. I have no idea what it is for. Do they have a right to just turn up, or will it be referred back to the creditor? Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Usual things:

Did you pay your Council Tax

Any Motoring fines - speeding, parking etc

TV Licence

Could be any of these, problem could be that when they do catch up then the chances are they will have already have applied extra charges. Has your neighbour told them where you moved to or is he pleading ignorance? If they do turn up then best afvice is not to let them in under any circumstances and if you have a car then park elsewhere for the immediate future. Have they left any paperwork at your previous address you can look at.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Neighbour doesn't know where I live only my phone number but she wouldn't tell them that. No documentation left as far as I am aware, they did not speak to my old neighbour only to the woman who lives there now, who told her about the visit. Will they come banging on my door at my new address, or will they write to me first?

Neighbour doesn't know where I live only my phone number but she wouldn't tell them that. No documentation left as far as I am aware, they did not speak to my old neighbour only to the woman who lives there now, who told her about the visit. Will they come banging on my door at my new address, or will they write to me first?

They will most likely just turn up if and when they find you.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh and I forgot to mention that my car is motability and my husbands is on HP, so they can't touch those anyway can they?

To be on the safe side I would have the documentation handy to prove about the vehicles. Admittedly a DVLA check should show your Motability vehicle up but occasionally Bailiffs have been known to clamp first and argue afterwards.

There may be a chance it could be related to a motoring offence - taken by remote camera or forbid cloned plates. Eventually all will be made clear.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh and I forgot to mention that my car is mobility and my husbands is on HP, so they can't touch those anyway can they?

They cant touch you cars

The bailiff wont know your car is on HP so get a copy of your HP agreement ready to send to the bailiff company as soon as the first letter from them arrives

If when/ the bailiff turns up at your home under no circumstances let him into your home regardless of what he says

keep your door locked and if a stranger comes to the door speak to him /her through the letterbox or upstairs window if he/she says they are from the council ETC tell them you are not expecting a visit from anyone and ask them for there name and a phone number to confirm who they are and the reason for the visit

ask him to post any paper work he has regarding this through the letterbox and tell him you will be in touch when you find out whats going on

ask him to write down his name and the court he was certificated at and put it through the letterbox

Thanks guys, I hate living like this though I feel like I am living a life of paranoia, when I don't think I owe anyone anything! I have little money due to my daughter being severely disabled and I am terrified that these guys are going to take my kids Christmas presents away that I have spent all year saving up for. I have also read somewhere that it is illegal for them to enter a house where there are children under 12 and I have 4 children under 12.

' They cannot enter if a child under the age of 12 is in the house, regardless of whether an adult is present.' This is Money: Be your own financial adviser - predictions, advice & tips

Does anyone know if this is true?

Just found this site today.

the exact same thing happened to me yesterday !

Bailiffs posted letters with my name and the wifes name at my old address

Stating- the county court has papers to serve on you-you are required to attend the court before 17th december-I am in possession of court documents that require your URGENT attention. Failure to attend could result in contemt of court and imprisoment.

I know it comes from a person in Spain who looked after a small piece of land I had. When I sold it 2 years ago they seemed to think I had to pay them some compensation, which I do not. They tried sending some letters to me asking for compensation, which I ignored because I don't owe them anything. I thought they were just trying it on. I haven't heard anything since. so it was a shock to see this yesterday.

What do I do now? ignore it? Go Get the papers or get a solicitor?

I don't want to highjack jackst's thread, but any help would be appricated.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks