Marston Debt Recovery and wrong surname?

Vannie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My daughter got a fine for driving while using a mobile phone. Her car is registered at her Dad's address. I was going to pay it but forgot.

The fine is now £375 and her Dad is going nuts. I was just about to pay the Removal Notice when I noticed the surname is "Road" (no, it's not her surname!). Is this enforceable?

Hi,

My daughter got a fine for driving while using a mobile phone. Her car is registered at her Dad's address. I was going to pay it but forgot.

The fine is now £375 and her Dad is going nuts. I was just about to pay the Removal Notice when I noticed the surname is "Road" (no, it's not her surname!). Is this enforceable?

two things

1) is it materially different? ie should it be rode or is it trotter etc?

2) they will require the registered keeper to inform who the driver was if you contest or the registered keeper will be deemed the driver at the time.

two things

1) is it materially different? ie should it be rode or is it trotter etc?

2) they will require the registered keeper to inform who the driver was if you contest or the registered keeper will be deemed the driver at the time.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the surname is entirely different. My daughter's surname has 7 letters, begins with C, and doesn't rhyme with "Road".

The registered driver and owner is my daughter, but Marstons have the name entirely wrong.

trotter is seven letters!!!

Sorry but I am 85% sure (because I havent investigated the law on this to the nth degree) that either the registered keeper pays OR coughs on the driver. Unless they got the car/make/colour/reg wrong as well

this is a recordable offense after all - which means that if they have to they'll get her in front of a magistrate and get her to say who was driving or be held in contempt which is up to 14 days free board and lodge.

Are you saying that a fine levied by the police has been passed to a DCA? Marstons.

Doesn't sound right to me

Yes, I though the first point of call would be a summons, followed by the registered keeper either pays or is in contempt.

One thing is for certain - contest or pay now, we've all seen the horror stories of £1500 parking tickets after they've been round a few DCA's and they bailiffs get involved. This could easily go the same way if you are not careful.

PGH7447, we were all young once and make mistakes, so cut her some slack!

Hardupnotfedup & Hungrybear,

Knowing my daughter, she probably did get a summons. Her Dad & I only knew about her money problems when she said she wanted a gap year....in the final year of her degree!

The letter she got yesterday has a Drakes reference, but on Marston's letterhead. I've had personal dealings with bailiffs and know how intimidating they can be. However, she did make a mistake and I have no qualms with paying the fine. I don't want to pay the extra £175 levied though. Is is enforceable? I was going to send a cheque (was going to pay online but concerned they may use my card to take more money) with a letter basically saying you have the surname wrong, but as a gesture of goodwill here is a cheque for £200 in full and final settlement. What do you think?

PGH7447, we were all young once and make mistakes, so cut her some slack!

Hardupnotfedup & Hungrybear,

Knowing my daughter, she probably did get a summons. Her Dad & I only knew about her money problems when she said she wanted a gap year....in the final year of her degree!

The letter she got yesterday has a Drakes reference, but on Marston's letterhead. I've had personal dealings with bailiffs and know how intimidating they can be. However, she did make a mistake and I have no qualms with paying the fine. I don't want to pay the extra £175 levied though. Is is enforceable? I was going to send a cheque (was going to pay online but concerned they may use my card to take more money) with a letter basically saying you have the surname wrong, but as a gesture of goodwill here is a cheque for £200 in full and final settlement. What do you think?

worth a try. and yes a cheque would be best