postggj

speeding ticket/traffic car/calibration certificate

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3648 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Not My Usual Area So Ime All Yours

A Friend Of My Brother Has Asked For Help.

The Cops Done Him Between 92 And 98 Mph On The M6 At 1230 In The Morning.

For Some Reason He Declined A Fixed Penalty And Has Elected To Go To Court.

Looking Into The Facts, The Police Had A Re-calibration Done On There Car The Next Day.

I Would Think He Needs To Request The Previouse Calibration Certificate. Lets Not Get Into The Rights And Wrongs On Speeding, This Is A Legal Matter For Now, So These Are My Questions

1/ How Often Do These Devices Need To Be Calibrated To Be Used In Court As Evidence

2/ Can You Request A Copy Of The Certificate Say Under Cpr Prior To The Court Trial

3/ What Would Be The Situation If No Valid Calibration Certificate Was Current At The Time And Who Does The Calibration

Answers On A Post Card

I take it that it was the speedo that was re-caliberated?

If so, its normal for these to be re-caliberated after they have detected a speeding offence.

However i do not know much more than that im afraid!

Warning: Freemen of the Land Operate here. Think twice before accepting 'legal advice'.

My local force calibrate monthly, and if there is a discrepancy over 2% it is brought to the attention of the duity Inspector, who should check any incidents that may involve borderline transgressions. However, being clocked at between 92/98mph this wpuldn't be borderline as a speeding offence has certainly been detected - I don't believe it will invalidate the action - and if the onboard JAI Video system recorded the pursuit, it uses a tandem speed sensor (but unlinked to the speedo) and this could provide corroboration to their original findings.

The OP's friends Speedo would have been showing way over the ton to be clocked at 98. So he should be thankful his speedo isnt calibrated.

However the guys over at PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice are the experts

But i feel Buzby has hit the nail on the head

Many forces have a measured mile that they use on a daily basis before going out on patrol 2-3 Psi differance in tyre pressure can throw out the speedo. But on the motorway by traffic police. There would be 3 witnesses.

The speedo. vascar and the other bobby.

Good luck

The opinion of two Police Officers has been held sufficient to obtain a conviction. Collaboration, be it speedo, VASCAR, etc. is a bonus

Unless he already had 9 points, he was absolutely stupid to decline an FPN at that speed.

Edited by patdavies