Equita - Bailiff turned up this morning please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Ok petrified and so upset at mo.

Basically - my bills got out of hand last year and I ended up owing on Council Tax. This was passed to Equity and I paid them. Trouble is they cant set up regular payments - so I ended up forgetting and being late with payments.

Last payment was made 1st Dec for £65 and I asked how much was left and they said £380. (Was £1400).

Today a bailiff from Equita has turned up and gave me a letter demanding payment in full in 24 hours of £527.15 plus costs or they will remove my car/goods.

I phoned Equita straight away and said (through lots of tears and upset - whilst my 3 yr old was stood next to me) that I wanted to make payments but couldnt pay it all at once. I am off work at mo (have been since Aug) but due back in Jan.

I offered to pay £35 today and £100 next week and then pay the balance asap over the next few weeks. They said no and actually put me through to the bloke that was here.

He said no and was quite pushy saying no needed to pay in full now. I was hyperventilating on the phone so he told me to calm down, sort out getting the money this afternoon and phone him tomor.

I have managed to get some money together but not all of it. What should I do? I am scared stiff and hubby has just thrown a fit.

Hi

I have just been reading through some posts on here.

Can I make the balance payment of £380 Equita were asking for direct to the council, even though previous payments have been to Equita?

If I do this can I tell the Bailiff when he turns up or I phone him I have paid the council?

Hasnt been in my home and no levy on my car as far as I am aware.

I was hysterical on the phone when I spoke to him later and he just told me to calm down and call him tomorrow - but am still expecting him to turn up anyway.

do not let him into your home

If he has no levy he has no power

however be very very careful with your car (is it on HP finance) its not unusual to find the bailiff has levied a car and left no Notice of seizure of goods and inventory

to be on the safe side park the car away from your home (not in the next street as far away as possible)

have you ever had a breakdown of charges from Equita

do you know how much the liability order was for and the date it was passed to the bailiffs

if the bailiff refuses to accept a part payment pay the council

do not let him into your home

If he has no levy he has no power

however be very very careful with your car (is it on HP finance) its not unusual to find the bailiff has levied a car and left no Notice of seizure of goods and inventory

to be on the safe side park the car away from your home (not in the next street as far away as possible)

have you ever had a breakdown of charges from Equita

do you know how much the liability order was for and the date it was passed to the bailiffs

if the bailiff refuses to accept a part payment pay the council

Thank you.

How do I know if they have a levy on my car?

It is not financed.

I 've not had a breakdown of charges - as far as I was aware I owed £380 @1st Dec - now its £527!

He told him to phone tomorrow and have a think how I can come up with the money. Shall I do this with my plan of action (pay £50 tomorrow, £132 on tues (my child benefit) and the remainder next Fri?

How do I know if they have a levy on my car?

they should have left a Notice of seizure of goods and inventory with the car reg written on it and the charges for the levy

keep the car well hidden

they have added £147 to your debt and you need to know the reason why

keep that car well hidden

you need to request a screenshot of your account if they refuse send an official complaint to the council

send something like this recorded delivery

account NO

To Whom it May Concern

Please provide me with a screenshot(s) of my account(s) held by yourselves for the collection of council tax for xxxxxxxxx council

This is not a request to access personal data about me in the meaning of the Data Protection Act 1998.

this is information regarding my account(s) that you are required to provide me with when requested under The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992

Please provide this information within 14 day of receipt of this recorded delivery letter if my screenshot(s) is/ are not received within the aforementioned time i will take this as a refusal to comply with my request and will make a Formal Complaint to the Chief Executive of xxx council in the first instance

Thanks Hallowitch

What should I say to him when I phone tomorrow?

Say I have sent this letter and make a payment direct to council?

Sorry - but I am worried sick and he was very intimidating on the phone. I have been off work since Aug and my self confidence is low anyway.

I almost thought nasty thoughts to end all this.

I am so embarrased and just want to get rid of this.

xx

hey you are not the only one, i have a similar story which i will post up shortly, equita are thieves and their practices need to STOP!

I will go all the way to battle it out with them for the excessive charges added to my a/c by their bailiff as a result of failing on a arrangement plan, i will post my thread link here shortly if you wish to follow

Good luck to both of us + all the other Equita Victims out there ! Do not pay them their charges, demand a break down in writing and keep us all informed here of all progress.

Edited by luk79

Everyone so far is spot on. If it was me I would NOT speak to the Bailiff. At present he has you dangling and you are dancing to his tunes. If you don't speak to him then it means he has to chase you, Ok he may be a bit mean but after all you have done nothing wrong. Certainly pay the Council direct either Online or by automated phone. Seeming most Councils have access to your "Bailiff " records and may be able to tell you what charges and when they were applied.

If as you say he hasn't gained entry to your home, let him bray on the door but as long as you keep him out the less he can do apart from get het up. The most he can then charge you will be for 2 visits and eventually he will go away. You must first and foremost believe in your own strengths. The Bailiff gets his by knowing he has intimidated you.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi kazi, firstly I'll apologise to all those reading these threads - I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record!

I notice you say you've been off work? I assume your GP would have signed you off. Whilst off work, you may be considered vulnerable. Have a think and a chat with your GP if necessary. I tend to include 'depression' and 'anxiety' when I think of a serious illness - a harrassing bailiff would make the condition worse.

If you do fall into that category you should be able to get the council to deal directly with you.

Rae

I believe those who might be considered vulnerable include the following:

the elderly;

people with a disability;

the seriously ill;

the recently bereaved;

single parent families;

pregnant women;

unemployed people; and,

those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English.

Edited by RaeUK
typoo

And, as usual, forgot to mention that a bailiff should not be coercing you into borrowing from friends or family. I believe this is against all the guidelines of good bailiff behaviour...

Do resist that, you can't pay a debt with a debt.

Rae

Hi kazi, firstly I'll apologise to all those reading these threads - I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record!

I notice you say you've been off work? I assume your GP would have signed you off. Whilst off work, you may be considered vulnerable. Have a think and a chat with your GP if necessary. I tend to include 'depression' and 'anxiety' when I think of a serious illness - a harrassing bailiff would make the condition worse.

If you do fall into that category you should be able to get the council to deal directly with you.

Rae

I believe those who might be considered vulnerable include the following:

the elderly;

people with a disability;

the seriously ill;

the recently bereaved;

single parent families;

pregnant women;

unemployed people; and,

those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English.

Thanks for this.

I have had a broken foot since 31st July. It is a Jones fracture so is taking a looooonnngg time to heal. I was in plaster for 11 weeks and am still signed off by the hospital.

I have also been to the doctors in this time and been prescribed anti-depressants, although I ended up not taking them and fighting through it. I had to rely on others to ferry me round and do a lot for me.

If I am classed as "vulnerable" what do I need to do or find out if I am classed as this. xx

OMG - my husband has called the bailiff while I moved my car and left a message on his voice mail.

He called him a fat b*****d, thieving c***, told him where to go!!

Has he made it worse - OMG he is def coming after me now.

Hi, broken foot, not nice but probably wouldn't get you very far - no pun intended! I'd certainly think about the anti-depressants. What I would do is have a chat to my GP asap. Explain the situation and how it's aggravating your depression. Confirm with him/her that, if needs be, they would write a letter for the council. I would then write to the council and let them know you believe you fall into the vulnerable category and that, if needs be, your GP will write to confirm your illness.

The aim is not to avoid the debt but to get the council to take it back and deal directly with you. Having a bailiff on your case will only make you feel worse.

Speaking of which I'm not inclined to think hubbys actions were the best method at the moment. Mind you, if the bailiff does turn up, it sounds like he may be the one in the vulnerable category...

Rae

OMG - my husband has called the bailiff while I moved my car and left a message on his voice mail.

He called him a fat b*****d, thieving c***, told him where to go!!

Has he made it worse - OMG he is def coming after me now.

Could this be the start of a new YouTube moment?

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks.

OK - I need a plan of action for tomorrow...

1. phone LA and ask what is outstanding on Council Tax?

2. Make online payment to LA

3. NOT phone the Bailiff - esp after hubbys message!

4.Send letter to Equita requesting charges info

5. Keep car out of the way and lock all the doors.

Anything else??

My son hasnt got a key for the doors and is at school tomorrow. Will a bailiff enter through a back gate if I leave that open?

Also how long do I need to keep my car out of the way. I can drive a bit but cant walk far with foot.

If you pay the LA make sure the payment dont contribute towards this years balance and contributes towards your arrears

a LA will never refuse payment or atleast they shouldnt do, so may be worth paying them a visit in person and explaining what you are paying and for which account.

They can come in your garden through any unlocked gates but will they find anything there to levy ?

As long as your doors and windows are locked, they cant force an entry.

Hi there

as is pointed out so many times on this Forum --provided the Bailiff hasn't gained admittance to your property HE CANNOT DO ANYTHING.

DO NOT EVEN BOTHER TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM IN ANY WAY.

Check the following

1) Council MUST have sent 14 day notice of intended use of Bailiff's to seize goods etc. (Liability Order) No warrant -- no Bailiff -- Council have committed an ILLEGAL act (Bailiff's are employed as "subcontractors" by the council therefore the COUNCIL is 100% responsible for the behaviour and any irregularities of "Their employees").

2) The council MUST take the debt back -- the law says THEY HAVE TO COLLECT COUNCIL TAX. If you are unemployed etc you can claim benefits.

After 90 days from the date a court issued the Liability order the debt becomes NULLO BONO and the council / whoever issued the warrant must get it back again so at the worst just sit it out until the Council HAVE to take the bill back again.

While going through procedures to claim benefits NO ACTION in any case can be taken for Council tax collection either by the council or 3rd parties.

"Van Fees" and other non prescribed charges are ILLEGAL and if you really want to pay the Bailiff's (and I really can't understand why you would) then DO NOT pay these charges and always ask for their authority to collect --i.e an EXACT copy of the Liability order from the court -- a simple notice / bill from the Council is NO GOOD.

Help us RID Britain from these Vermin. None of us like paying tax -- but it's the Law. However there are avenues to help those in genuine difficulty and using Bailiff's to collect tax is not one of them and can (currently - although this could change in the future) be legally 100% resisited.

These vermin only survive by preying on the fear and ignorance of their intended victims.

It can't be stressed enough -- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER LET THEM IN.

Once they've gained legal entrance to your home then unfortunately all bets are off although even in this case the fees are proscribed so excessive "Van Fees" etc are still not allowed. Best is NEVER TO LET THEM IN. They CANNOT force their way in for unpaid council tax if they haven't been admitted previously (for the same bill -- each new council tax bill is a DIFFERENT incident so they can't lump different bills together under the same liability order).

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45

FIRSTLY - I LOVE YOU ALL XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have been up all night - checking bank statements and when payments have been made.

Phoned the council first thing and spoke to 2 lovely ladies.

Explained everything and what happened with bailiff. Put it on a bit that I had also had a severe asthma attack (I do have asthma) and my husband came in to find me and baby very upset (which is mostly true).

Anyway - they phoned Equita whilst I was on the phone - also questioned why it was £527 now and not £380 (I quoted that I knew what fees the bailiff could charge).

Anyway - result is - I can pay the council the remainder next payment due 22nd Dec - by standing order - £100 a month!!!

Bailiff man will not be back!

RESULT!!!!

I can now open the blinds and recover my car :D

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx