diaz101

Being chased for debt older than 6 years + default expired

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3626 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi All, would somebody be able to clarify the following situation for me please. I recently checked my credit file and I had a default registered by company A in Nov 2003, I have not made a payment on this account for well over 6 years. Suprisingly (not!) after checking my file, I have company B sending a letter, a "Formal Demand" no less for payment of this expired debt. My question is whats the best thing to do, is it a) ignore the letter from company B completely b) send company B the statute barred letter and tell them to go away politely c) something else? and finally, does the default from company A get removed automatically after the six years? if not, what do i have to do? and can company B add another adverse mark on my credit file? many thanks in advance, and I would like to say that after getting some help from this site previously and winning my case in court, I decided to study law with the Open University and I have just started, so thanks very much to everybody who helped me regards

Hi, Sorry you were missed.:(

As the law stands, if no payment nor acknowledgement of any debt owing is made in a 6 year period (5 years in Scotland) then it is Statute Barred so if you want to put this to bed then the SB letter from the templates will be the way to go.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

With defaults, they will automatically fall off after 6 years and you cannot be defaulted for the same debt twice so that is it, SB and default gone.

hope that helps

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks Silverfox, i thought as much, i just wanted to get clarification off someone more knowledgeable than myself, much appreciated, for the record it was buchananclark and wells on a fishing trip i expect, and hoping that i would be dumb enough to pay it. There were no CCJ's on my credit report so its definately SB, cheers