Satisfied Default

devilzspy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

this is my first time, please bear with me. At the end of 2007 I left the country and was abroad for the period of eight months. It was not out of choice and the earliest I could make it back was mid 2008. Before leaving my credit history was good, and I had some debt on HSBC master card. By the time I got back I saw letters from Collection Agencies claiming the money. I called them and made an arrangement to clear off the debt (which included bank charges by the way).

Anyways, its been over 8 months since I satisfied this default I was wondering if I could ask them to remove it as I was not in the country i.e. Extentuating circumstances and did not recieve any default notice. Just looking for some advice.

thanks in advance.

Hi devilzpy , welcome to the forum , :)

I don't hold out a lot of hope that they'll lift your default , but on the grounds that 'if you don't ask you don't get ' ..I'd say why not try it ... write to HSBC Credit Card , with a copy to the CRA ....and explain what you just told us ...... that you were out of the country and didn't get the Default notice .... and that the debt was satisfied as soon as possible on your return ..... and could they , as a gesture of goodwill :rolleyes:...arrange for it's removal ...

This is the address for Credit Card correspondence :

HSBC Bank plc

365 Chartwell Square

Southend on Sea

SS99 2UU ...

On the other question of bank charges ,,,,, is that with a current account ?... or with your Credit Card ?.... if it's with your credit card I'd leave it until you see what they come back with on your Default :)... before rattling their cage with this one .....

If it's current account you could read up on the FAQs here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

By all means come back with any questions you need addressing ...... someone will answer and we're user-friendly on here ... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

hi johnnymitch,

thanks for the quick reply. I dont mind the charges as long as they remove the default. It has been impossible to get any credit or a bank account since my return. Sorry for being a novice, can you tell me what is a CRA ?

I shall write to them and see how they respond.

regards,

Hi devilzpy:)

sorry about that .... Credit Reference Agency .....like Experian for instance ..... whoever holds the record of your default ......

In my (humble)opinion , they will just record willy nilly whatever the banks tell them without question .... but every now and then they will refer a complaint back to the bank for explanation and may remove it if they're not satisfied ..

However, I think it's best if the impetus for removal comes from the source .... i.e the bank ...... hence the letter to them , with a copy to CRA ... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

OK devilzspy... be interested to know how you get on ...... it'll help others in your position .. :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Hi,

this is my first time, please bear with me. At the end of 2007 I left the country and was abroad for the period of eight months. It was not out of choice and the earliest I could make it back was mid 2008. Before leaving my credit history was good, and I had some debt on HSBC master card. By the time I got back I saw letters from Collection Agencies claiming the money. I called them and made an arrangement to clear off the debt (which included bank charges by the way).

Anyways, its been over 8 months since I satisfied this default I was wondering if I could ask them to remove it as I was not in the country i.e. Extentuating circumstances and did not recieve any default notice. Just looking for some advice.

thanks in advance.

I have to say it's usual (and about the only thing that is - biased view as I dislike them!) that HSBC will leave a full 6 months before issuing/entering a Default Notice. The (nightmare as mentioned) details are simply that once the Default Notice appears there's little hope that they will remove it until it naturally 'falls off' after 6 months.

The questions now are, do you still have an HSBC Mastercard and was there any 'two-way' contact between you leaving the country till your return?

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Hi Michael,

thanks for the info. I dont have the hsbc mastercard anymore, it got cancelled when they issued me with the default. Unfortunately, there was no 2 way contact either when I was away.

The default has been satisfied for over 8 months now, I havent heard anything from them since. Looks like I have but little hope and have to wait for the whole 6 years before it falls off my file.

regards,

By IS: once the Default Notice appears there's little hope that they will remove it until it naturally 'falls off' after 6 months.

I think you mean six Years here IS ? :)

Devilzpy .. I still think that 'if you don't ask you don't get ' and that at least it shows that you made an effort to sort it out.... in case you want to take it to the Ombudsman at a later date.... you're supposed to have exhausted all other channels with the bank before doing so ...... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

hi Johnnymitch,

Thanks, I have already prepared a draft for the bank will be posting it here shortly before posting it to them. The default was not for such a big amount, it was less than £3000 with more than £500 in bank charges. Anyways, I think I have to take my chances and see how this one goes.

regards,

by devilzpy: Anyways, I think I have to take my chances and see how this one goes.

you're right DS .......nothing ventured........ etc ..... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

I think you mean six Years here IS ? :)

Devilzpy .. I still think that 'if you don't ask you don't get ' and that at least it shows that you made an effort to sort it out.... in case you want to take it to the Ombudsman at a later date.... you're supposed to have exhausted all other channels with the bank before doing so ...... :)

OOPS!!! Sorry, I blame the keyboard. Of course, 6 years :)

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

• 1 month later...

Hello members,

I have an update, I wrote to HSBC in Jan '10 explaining them the situation with emphasizing that I have been with the bank since 2004 and never before this did I miss a payment. I also sent the copies of CRA and relevant documents showing that I had to be out of the country.

I got a letter back this morning

"Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Your comments have been noted but I would advise you that it is not our policy to delete any entry from the Credit Reference Agency files.

Your account was registered in November 2007 and your name will remain in the Agency records for six years from the date of default, namely November 2007.

If you consider there were exceptional circumstances at the time of your being registered, you may wish to consider adding a 'notice of correction' to your account. This is a short note, written by yourself, advising of your financial position at the time the account was registered.

If you wish to write to the Credit Reference Agencies, I have listed below their names and adresses:

Should you require any further information or assistance please telephone one of our representatives on 08456 077088 during office hours.

Your Sincerely

Helen Packwood

Senior Manager, Collections"

I dont know how to proceed further, any advice members...

Regards

Edited by devilzspy

A NOC on a CRA as far as I know means to any potential creditor - nothing! You should try and contact Helen Packwood as it's her signature on every letter they send nationally.

Michael

hi Michael,

I was wondering if I should write back again to a different department. Since, Helen Packwood seems quite fictious to me I would rather take my chances with someone else.

Any comments or advice appreciated.

regards,

Sorry with my reply - it was tongue in cheek regarding Helen Packwood. I have many letters too with that name. I do believe she is for real.

Honestly if you complain the chances are that the same person will be dealing with that too. I'd also write back to the bank asking them if the letter they sent was their 'final responce'.

With the letter you got from them you'll probably have gotten a leaflet regarding the FOS - Make a complaint to them about HSBC. Once you see the outcome you can move forward on that. In reality the bank can and does remove CRA data. The fact is that if they do they are admitting they made a mistake which at all costs they try to prevent. I'd also do a SAR (for a tenner) from the templates section ensuring you ask them for all the data you want especially notes etc they will have made.

Michael

cheers Michael,

I have just written a letter pointing out persistence, my time with bank and how much I have suffered. As suggested earlier I am not sure weather I want to rattle the cage early on. I shall wait and see if this is their final response and then move on to SAR.

To be honest, I have been a very good customer since I sarted banking with them (2004). When I came back, my local branch manager issued me with the Cash Account and barred my Current Account and Credit Card. He said once I clear off the debt, he will add a note so that priviliges are restored. So, I stayed loyal to bank cleared off everything and went in again only to told that I did not pass the credit test and therefore cannot be offered a Current Account.

Anyways, I am playing the card that these extentuating circumstances were not my doing and can happen to anyone. Fingers crossed...

suggestions?

regards,

edit: the debt was £2775 which had a lot of charges included.

Looks like they have just sent you a standard response to me, probably a template letter. Doubt you will get any further at this level. Just an idea but why not send a further letter to the CEO at HSBC Head Office in London explaining the circumstances. May not work but they do not like complaint letters at their Head Office and have more clout to get something done.