LTSB loan passed to BLS who are now harassing and making threats - advice please

jc1234
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have now received the following letter from LTSB and am rather confused:

'Re: Unknown card number

Thank you for your recent letter.

Unfortunately we have not received enough details from you to find and process your request. Please resend your letter with your up to date home address, any previous addresses and card number/s. Lloyds TSB Credit Card numbers contain 15 or 16 digits.

If you would like to make a request pursuant to section 78 of the CCA please write with appropriate authorisation to blah blah.

I hope I have now clarified our position. If there is anything you're not sure about please get in touch and we'll be happy to look into it for you.'

I am confused as to the tactics here. I quoted their reference number that they have been using to accept my money by standing order and on letters containing various threats, and now they say 'unkown card number'. It's not a credit card - it was a LOAN.

Any advice as to what to do now would be greatly appreciated as I now have my £1 postal order back as well!

Many thanks.

It sounds as though they might be stalling! Whilst I'm no expert, can you confirm that you requested the CCA agreement against section 77? Did you send it to the address on their letters? (LTSB have hundreds of PO Boxes, although they all seem to end up on the same estate in Brighton!). Did you make it clear it was for a loan? (Maybe you could scan and post the letter you sent?) If you have done nothing wrong in your mailing then that would automatically put them at fault.....

I am not an expert though - just my opinion!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nasty feeling that it may have been my fault. I searched Google to get the actual address and not the PO Box so I could send a recorded letter and I stupidly thought that they would recognise their own reference number. I did not specifically state it was in regards to a loan. I sent the template letter that was helpfully provided on this site.

I have a nasty feeling that it may have been my fault. I searched Google to get the actual address and not the PO Box so I could send a recorded letter and I stupidly thought that they would recognise their own reference number. I did not specifically state it was in regards to a loan. I sent the template letter that was helpfully provided on this site.

OK so to which address did you send it? Lloyds or BLS? (It is perfectly acceptable to send registered and recorded post to a PO Box. ( I do!) Did you send a CCA request and a one pound postal order? Did you start your letter This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.?

Did you place your loan account number at the top?

(It would really be helpful if you could post the letter or paste the text on to here - suitably disidentified?)

Hi Disgruntled, this is the letter that I sent:

11th December 2009

Dear Sirs,

Account No: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I hereby formally request a copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement, pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to any account you deem to be mine, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide. I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit (12 + 2 days). You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request; the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties. Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

Attached is payment in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee - Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee and then remove the incorrect entry from your systems.

I do, expect the main actions to be dealt with, as matter of course, and look forward to hearing from you within the prescribed timescales quoted.

Yours faithfully,

That's the right letter. I'm intrigued to see who you sent it to though? Also, looking at my letter from BLS, they have listed an account number and a reference number. If you wrote to LTSB you should have used your loan account number, if you wrote to BLS you should have used their reference number and referred to your loan account number. Let me know these details please and we can work out the response from there...

Hi Disgruntled, I wrote to BLS but posted the letter to LTSB. Should I resend this recorded delivery to the PO Box number of BLS? I had thought that I couldn't send recorded delivery to a PO box number.

Thanks so much for your help.

I believe the right people to send it to would be LTSB as BLS dont own your debt, they are just acting on the behalf of LTSB. It would be a good idea to send BLS a letter stating you are awaiting CCA from LTSB, and maybe enclose a copy. (My letter to BLS made it clear I was in discussion with LTSB and that they should nob off for a bit!)

So, CCA letter to LTSB address that is on your loan default (probably LTSB, Collections Centre, Brighton. BN1 4BE). Put your loan account number at the top.

Send it recorded, make out the postal order to LTSB.

You are most welcome to the help, but remember it is just my opinion!

Don't want to confuse matters here but JC, you said it was for a loan? Lloyds have a loan operations centre in Ireland even for loans taken out in England so it might be possible that you need that address, especially if Brighton claim they don't know what you're on about. Brighton typically deal with credit card accounts and collections amongst others and may not be handling a loan account :confused:.

I can dig the address out if you want but perhaps double check any loan paperwork you have to see where it is being held. Odd I know but might explain a few things?

Thanks emandcole. This was for a loan and unfortunately I do not have any original paperwork. My bank manager advised me to default on the loan so the interest could be frozen and passed to a DCA, in this case BLS, and everything since has come from them in Brighton.

Thanks emandcole. This was for a loan and unfortunately I do not have any original paperwork. My bank manager advised me to default on the loan so the interest could be frozen and passed to a DCA, in this case BLS, and everything since has come from them in Brighton.

If your letters are coming from Brighton, then you need to be writing to Brighton!

Would agree Disgruntled, JC...just respond to the address Lloyds is writing from. That way you are communicating with them and you can do no more than that if Lloyds can't sort itself out.

Let us know what you get back from your next letter ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have had an interesting response from LTSB saying that they are 'pleased to provide your information and will start to collect this straight away.'

Super - I'm impressed! 'As you no longer hold an open account you will need to collect your data from a LTSB branch of your choice. You will be required to show some form of identification, such as a passport or driving licence, when you go to collect it.'

Bless them, they've even enclosed a postage paid envelope for my reply telling them which branch I would like to venture out to to show them further personal details. Their envelopes are very professionally done, that thick permanent marker not quite hiding 'Customer Service Recovery (C25)' on the envelope to myself and the postage paid envelope, and the handwritten 'DSAR C41' on both envelopes.

My question is, do I have to go to a branch as they are dictating? I sent 3 letters in the same envelope, one stating that I would only deal with this in writing - I have no wish to make a personal appearance, complete with passport. I also find it strange that I have had one response basically saying, 'we don't know who you are' now this response, 'thanks for your tenner, will you walk into our parlour, as the spider said to the fly.'

I should be very grateful for any assistance in wording a letter to the sweeties at LTSB saying thank you for your kind offer, but please post this to me instead.

I actually do not want to have to go to a branch as it is not convenient at all for me. I have been extremely ill (an extreme allergic reaction) and am still not really able to get out at present.

All help and advice gratefully appreciated - thank you!

Hmmm, not heard of this before. I guess technically they're within their rights to ask you this but given the fact you expressly asked for everything to be in writing and you supplied the maximum statutory fee I don't see why it would be unreasonable of you to insist they post it to you.

I'd be cautious of showing a passport too, maybe they'd photocopy it only for you to find a loan agreement is missing in the package you collect when you get home.

Subsequently it turns up in a seperate letter a fortnight later with an apology from the bank for 'accidentally' leaving the agreement out of the package you collected earlier. This agreement however now has a copy of your signature on it taken from the copy of the passport you freely gave them to copy in branch as proof of who attended to collect.

Fraud? Would a bank do such a thing :rolleyes:.

I'd request it all in writing. Send them a letter reminding them that due to the recession they helped to cause you can't possibly take time off of work to attend in person for fear of losing your job to 500 other people just waiting to replace you :D.

Thanks emandcole, I think I will respond along the lines of; as previously stated (in writing) I wish all communication to be in writing. It would be extremely inconvenient for me to visit a branch and do not understand why they are not able to comply with my wishes and post the information for which they have been paid, to myself at the address they hold for me.

Should I offer to respond to routine security questions, or would that just be playing into their hands?

Should I offer to respond to routine security questions, or would that just be playing into their hands?

Sure, answer reasonable questions as they are doing the right thing there but personally I'd refrain from sending/allowing them to copy anything they could use against you.

Bung this at the end of your SAR:

If there is specific information, which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

:D