• Tweets

• Well, he owed a debt, had that debt established in court and then defied the court by not paying the debt even when ordered to by the judge.   That's what a credit report would conclude.  Doesn't matter that the "debt" didn't exist and was made up by fleecers, once he didn't defend the court claim he was going to lose and once he didn't pay a CCJ was inevitable.   Yes, a set aside is the way to go.  I don't think there is a time limit, plenty of people go for a set aside yonks after the event as they had moved and never got the court papers.    
    • Thank you so much for your thorough reply.   I'm trying to work out the simplest way to deal with this. I don't really want to have to fight things through the courts if it does come to that, and I"m trying to work out if I have a cooling off period at all. I wonder if you can tell me.    I viewed the car in person and took it for a test drive. But I then went away and eventually called the dealership back to arrange to buy the car. I agreed to buy the car and paid £500 deposit to secure the car over the phone.    I then went into the dealership and completed the purchase in person when I collected the car.    Do I therefore have the legal right to a 14 day cooling off period as I was a telephone purchase for at least part of the price? Or does this only apply to a purchase completed over the phone or online? Thanks
    • So they can’t even get a CCJ against me? Unless they sell the debt? Even though this is a debt it’s not a “credit agreement” that’s defaulted so does this come into play?    I read on on another website forum that a guy had a £12,000 negative balance and he had agreed a monthly repayment plan with the DCA. Has just given in to easily in your opinion?   
    • Hi,   Do you have an update on this? Curious to know what they said.    I may be in a similar situation, 5 year old car has signs of crash damage, although yet to inspect it properly. 
    • Hi Everyone,   ..not been on here for ages......😜   Asking for my best mate.   He just had a CCJ issued against him for a Premier parking issue, one these speculative invoices I think. I don’t need to go into details now as my questions are simple to start with, etc but you can guess he ignored everything,did nothing, and it’s gone this far, reasons for another time.   Anyway, a few questions please, can you help...   Is the only thing he can do now is a “set aside application”? And is that request time limited, does he have to do it within a certain timeframe.   After reading a few things on here am I right to assume the Set Aside is a tricky thing to do?   He is only trying to repair his credit rating, which halved upon this CCJ!!!!! His was perfect before this.   In a slightly related question, why are parking fines related to a credit report. It’s not like he missed a loan repayment or credit bill payment. You could argue that non payment of spurious questionable parking fine is certainly not related to the repayment of credit or credit worthiness....   TIA Steve
  • Our picks

gribbo2001

Parked out of a bay in a zone I pay £124 a year for a permit!!!!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3627 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

First of all apologies for the agro sounding title! Highly annoyed with Brighton Council at the moment.

A bit of background - brighton has a ridiculous parking permit scheme where you have to prove your a resident via council tax, tenancy agreement, etc and then pay extra to park outside your front door. Tax on car ownership or what?!

Despite paying this ridiculous fee I parked the car roughly two months ago one street away in a space against a wall. As a result of the narrow space and the close proximity to the wall my passenger was unable to exit the car so I reparked to allow enough space for her to alight the vehicle.

I came back the next day to find a ticket on the car as we were parked incorrectly. I had a measuring tape on me and noted I was 14 inches over the lines but was clearly leaving 4.7 metres for cars to pass. Seeing as how the average car is 1.9 metres wide and this is a one way street this doesn't seem to be particularly fair so I wrote to them to appeal.

Their advice is that I should have allowed my passenger to alight before parking. Is this correct? Surely this breaches some part of the highway code as it potentially could put my passenger and other road users in danger?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dan

I can understand your anger, but I don't think there's anything anyone can do to help you. What's the state of play with the appeal? Was is upheld or rejected?

In response to a couple of your specific comments:

you have to prove your a resident via council tax, tenancy agreement, etc and then pay extra to park outside your front door. Tax on car ownership or what?!

Obviously, for a resident's permit scheme to be effective, they can't sell permits to anyone who wants one. You have to live there, and it's not unreasonable for them to want to see robust proof that you are a resident. Council Tax and household bills are pretty good mechanisms I think. It's a pain, but a necessary one.

And of course, to run and administer the offices etc. requires fees to be charged... It's not the permit fees where the Council makes their money - it's revenue from PCNs. You can get a breakdown of their income and expenditure in connection with the permit scheme if you write to them.

Their advice is that I should have allowed my passenger to alight before parking. Is this correct? Surely this breaches some part of the highway code as it potentially could put my passenger and other road users in danger?

I wouldn't have thought so. Just let them alight somewhere safe. It doesn't have to be that precise spot. Also, you can adjust the car's positioning before you walk away. Can't see you've got much of a complaint over that one.

If you parked in a space near to a wall, was it a parking bay, with markings or just an odd bit of road?

Can yo take some pictures of where you parked, show any signs on poles, and if you parked on a parking bay show clear pics of both end markings, and any broken white lines down the out side of the bay.

Brighton are known for defective signs and lines.