Statute barred?

joe3103
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I am new to this site and have a distressing problem.

In January 2003 I bought a car on finance with theYes car dealership, finance was with Direct Auto Finance. I made my last payment April 2003 prior to relocating to Canada and had my ex-wife return the car to the finance company.

In August 2003 with a failed relationship under my belt I returned to UK.

In May 2004 I returned to the exact same address where I bought the car and left this address (I also received a credit card at this address) January 2007 no contact was made from the creditors during this time, a default notice was placed on my credit file December 2003.

In January 2008 I recieved a letter from Thames Credit Ltd for the outstanding debt £7000 and in February they told me it had been bought by Activ Kapital, I sent the letter asking for a copy of the agreement and signed true copy of assignment, but not acknowledging debt to them.

I received a copy of sale agreement but no copy of of signed agreement, they said they did not have to provide this!

Then in September 2009 I got a letter from Activ Kapital for debt and now in December have had telephone calls at 08:00 in the morning.

Is this statute barred? as last payment was in April 2003. Please advise - thank you.

Hi and welcome to the CAG forums, in one word YES....Thames are well known for attempting to collect on statute barred debts...you need to send this letter here by recorded delivery - http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred - Also do not even worry about the agreement, once you state that you have no wish to pay towards a debt that is statute barred, they have to stop harrassing you as this is against the OFT's guidelines and could be construed as harrassment - Have a read here (from section 2.13 onwards) - http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

Hi. Hopefully this is the right place to post....

I recently received some correspondence from a company that wants me to contact them to verify that I am the person they say I am living there. (I am the person). This is related to debts on my old property from over 12 years ago. Since then I have had no contact whatsoever with any of my old creditors from my previous address. I believe that any debts remaining from that time would become statute barred, am I correct?

If so, I have also had some information that if a particular debt had gone to Court and was successful in obtaining a County Court Judgement that particular debt would "Never" become statute barred. Is this correct? I do not know whether any of those old debts has a County Court Judgement, is there any way I can find out without asking this company who is after me? Some advice is very much needed PLZ!!!! Thank you.:confused:

DCA will only be given permission by the court up to 12 calendar months from purchase date if it is under 6 years.

6 months if over 6 yrs.

over 6 years and they need original court documents;),as they are removed from central court files.

depending on length of time since the ccj was issued.absolute cut of period for permission to enforce is 10 years.

hope that helps

SAM

I recently received some correspondence from a company that wants me to contact them to verify that I am the person they say I am living there. (I am the person). This is related to debts on my old property from over 12 years ago. Since then I have had no contact whatsoever with any of my old creditors from my previous address. I believe that any debts remaining from that time would become statute barred, am I correct?

Yes