Unusually high electric bill - advice required

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, today we have received our bill for electric (British Gas) for over £600! it states units used as 5836, which seems an awful lot, this bill in 2008 units used was 1460, and for 2007 units used was 1745. Now since our last bill we have had a new meter fitted as we were on a day and night rate meter, this was at the suggestion of British Gas as they said that we were getting a cheaper rate during the night but were paying a higher rate during the day and it would cut our bills to do this. Sounds to me like a !!!! up but were do I stand with this?

Any help would be appreciated as its worrying me sick.

ps I have emailed BG and am awaiting a response.

• 7 months later...

A recent bill of mine has been put under investigation. I live in a student property and my housemates and I had vacated the property by the 5th of June, (Tenancy ended on the 30th of that month). We were billed for 305 pounds of electricity used purely during the month of June when as previously stated, the house was empty. They claim usually faulty meter or estimated readings.Iam still awaiting the outcome. It sounds as though the former is the case in your situation, given it was a newly fitted one that has given such a huge difference in readings.

Jessie15, if you have had a new meter fitted there should be a sticker on it showing the date it was fitted, the end reading of your old meter and the start reading of your new meter (it isn't always 0000).

This may give you some idea if you think the final reading is incorrect.

I assume you paid BG quarterly so how could you suddenly receive such a high reading?

Have you checked estimated readings previously to ensure you weren't running up a massive defecit?

There is a possibility that the meter fitted was not a brnad new meter and had a reading on it. Firstly I suggest you get the meter serial number (MSN) off the metering itself. This number is normally on the front of the meter and generally but not always has numerals and two alpha letters.

At the same time obtain the day reading which should be visible. normally there is the figure "1" on the left followed by the reading. To get the night reading there is a button that you need to press perhaps several times until eventually you see a "2" on the left with the reading.

Phone BGAS and asked them what meter serial number they have registered to your property. Don't give them the (MSN) at this point. Let them confirm it to you first. If it matches ask them for the opening read on the meter to see if it was zero or not. If it doesn't match up, thank them, hang up and come back to this thread for more advice. If it matches, give them your current readings and then come back on here for further advice.