style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3626 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I was wondering if you could advise me regarding my employment situation? I worked for a Council as a benefits officer but went back to my previous company in October 2009 as a customer relations executive. Before i was employed by my previous company, i was advised that they would request a criminal record check to see if i have any unspent convictions. I confirmed on my application from that i got charged for assault occasioning actual bodily harm back in 2006, and also advised the person who was recruiting of my charge. I asked whether this would be ok as i did not want to hand my notice in at my previous job if it would prove to be a problem, he advised me that because i have come forward and stated my charge before the criminal record check it will not be a problem. He also stated that the company mostly look for financial convictions like fraud. He advised me to hand in my notice at my previous job.

I started employment 5 weeks ago, but was called into a meeting on the 26th November to state that my criminal record check has come back and i will be suspended on full pay while an investigation is carried out. I was asked to attend a disciplinary hearing today, the 9th December 2009. I was asked if i had anything further to add, and i just reaffirmed the fact that i told the HR recruitment officer before employment commenced and also stated on my application form before employment started of my charge, and was told it was ok. They adjourned the meeting for 10 minutes and then called me back in to advise me my contract would be terminated with immediate effect and i have 5 days to appeal in writing. I stated that i was unhappy because i confirmed the charge before employment and was advised that it was fine. They said that the recruiting office was not in a position to tell me this and confirmed that i have the right to appeal.

I replied that they have wrongly informed me that my employment would be fine, and also when reading the application form, they had another chance to tell me that i did not meet their good repute standards but never. Instead,they advised me to hand in my notice at my previous job, which was a secure position.

I feel i have been treated unfairly and discriminated against as their are lots of employees who work for the company who have worse criminal charges than i have. It was my first and only ever offence for defending a girl who was attacked and have a great relationship with many people at Homeserve as i consider myself to be a really friendly person. I had a secure contract with a company but because i was advised that my charge would not be an issue, i now find myself out of work just before Christmas and at one of the worst times to find new employment. I previously worked for company for about 5 years, and continued to work for them after i had the charge. I was told today however, that the internal criminal record check procedure as changed since i was last with the company.

Thank you for your time, and i hope you can help me in my situation.

I was told today however, that the internal criminal record check procedure as changed since i was last with the company.

When you write to them (send recorded) stating that you wish to appeal the decision to dismiss you, ask them to provide you with all documentation relating to the above change in policy especially for documentary evidence of the date of this change.