Default Notice issue with Provident

swfblade
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4067 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I hope you guys are more friendly than the ones on moneysavingexpert.com! Tried to get some help over there, and rather than look past my personal life and help with my issue, they simply accused me of trying to get out of a debt that I was trying to pay.

Anyway, here is some background to my story/problem.

For various reasons (mainly the speed and ease) I have for the past 3 or 4 years been borrowing money from the Provident. I usually borrow £1000 paid over a year, totaling £1600 odd with interest. Yes I know I shouldn't, due to the extortionate interest rate, but like I say, its easy and quick.

Now, I have never had a problem meeting the payments (usually I pay £120 a month), I earn a decent wage and have spent the last 10 years sorting out my credit rating, due to being a silly young student offered all sorts of loans.

I moved house around a year ago, but family has moved into my old residence. I therefore kept paying the Agent and all was good... Until that agent retired (a good 4-6 months ago). The new agent would only seem to come at hours where no-one was available. At this stage I contacted Provvy to tell them about my move, as I figured it would be easier for me if they just sent an Agent round to my new house. However, this new agent would also only come at hours when no-one was around, and despite repeated contact attempts (phone/text/email), only replied to one text, which basically said "call my office 9am Monday". This is nigh on impossible for me, due to various reasons I am unable to make calls. I asked if they could call me. Nothing.

So I started emailing Provvy, via their website, to offer to pay by DD, or even drop the money to the agent. However their response was "we only collect on door, or you can pay over the Phone". The phone option isn't one for me, as I refuse to give out my card details over the phone to anyone. Call me paranoid or if you belong to the other forum, accuse me of not wanting to pay, but this is my choice, for various reasons.

It took around 8 months for them to start writing to me to the correct address. As you can appreciate, them writing to my old address caused issues with delays.

Then I get a letter from C.K. EDRUPT & CO claiming an Service of Default Notice. This is also addressed to my old address and due to the postal strikes, was severaly delayed. It is dated the 13th of November 2009 and I recieved it on 6th December 2009. This Notice is claiming £770 of arrears, on a total balance of £830.

As previously said, I have worked really hard to sort out all of my debts, so to recieve this is highly distressing. I'm not in the best of health as it is, so really didn't need all this as well.

I have tried contacting Provvy about this and really genuinly want to pay, but their agents dont seem to want to be bothered, and I dont want to pay over the phone. I think we may have reached some sort of solution by email, but I await clarification of this and as of yet still haven't paid.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this Default Notice, as I really don't want to have another 6 years of rubbish credit, when I have litterely just (in the past few months) sorted it out!

And finally, to clarify, I dont mind paying this debt. I am a honest person, realise I shouldn't have gotten a loan from this company, but I did.

Thanks for your time.

CAn you just clarify that the Default Notice was sent to your 'OLD' address? Even though you have repeatedley told them of your new address??

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yes, the Deafult Notice has been sent to my old address. I have told Provident direct via email several times, through the contact us form on their website several times and their agents via text twice.

Have you got evidence that you have told them of your new address?? Email sent? Recorded Delivery receipt? Confirmation from them that they have received your correspondence?

If so, the DN is invalid, but don't tell them this just yet.

Wait until they have Terminated your account, then all you are legally obliged to pay is the Arrears.

Can you post the DN on here? Clearly remove ANY thing that will ID you and the Account, then when they send the termination post that also, again removing any ID marks, names, addresses, bar codes, reference numbers etc.

It's a little early for my head to process information, just re-read your thread, and as you have sent them an email informing them of your new address, you should have a copy of your email in your 'sent' folder? Check it's there print a hard copy off for reference and evidence, then wait for them to terminate.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Perfect! Hopefully they will terminate before they realise their school boy error! Don't worry about posting the DN up if you don't want, you have enough evidence that if/when they do terminate the agreement, that it will be unlawful rescission...

Not too sure how you would go about getting them to remove the default from your report, as technically, the debt does exist and the information would be factually correct, it will drop off after six years anyhow.

As for paying the debt, 'When' they terminate the account, all you are legally obliged to pay, not morally, will be the arrears nothing more, nothing less.

But wait and see if they terminate the account yet, before we start rubbing our hands;)

• 3 years later...
Not too sure how you would go about getting them to remove the default from your report, as technically, the debt does exist and the information would be factually correct, it will drop off after six years anyhow.

As for paying the debt, 'When' they terminate the account, all you are legally obliged to pay, not morally, will be the arrears nothing more, nothing less.

But wait and see if they terminate the account yet, before we start rubbing our hands;)

Hi

If the DN is invalid then surely its not accurate and therefore should be removed by the CRA. Only accurate information can be held and a DN is only legal if accurate.