jimbo45

Increasing use of "Extra Legal " methods to obtain money

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3621 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all

This is a DIFFICULT post - but it seems to be the start of a very thin wedge which could drastically effect the way creditors deal with people in the future

Now I DON'T CONDONE shoplifting AT ALL and I know there are people out there who just say "they've got what they deserve" - True - but as Caggers we usually use the law to help us and when the Law is deficient or unjust we try and get it changed.

So increasingly shops are using the CIVIL process and use"Pseudo collection agencies" to fine shoplifters - sometimes attempting to charge them as much as 190 GBP when a small kid opened a drink in a shop valued at around 80P.

There ARE LAWS to deal with shoplifters -- applying EXTORTIONATE FEES to people who can't probably can't afford them anyway doesn't seem to me the way soceity should deal with this type of offence.

It seems whether it's DCA's, Bailiff's, and other agencies FEES are being levied against people who can least afford to pay them out of all proportion to the value of goods / services / money owed / taken.

Don't get me wrong - I dislike shop lifters as much as anybody but some of these new "Retail Recovery" or "Retail Protection" firms are FAR worse than Bailiff's - who bad as THEY are at least have a minimum amount of regulation. The "New kids on the Block" don't have ANY legislation over how they operate at all -- and I'm quite sure some ex bailiff's (especially those who thanks to Caggers lost their certification) are now enjoying their new life even more in working for these orgainisations.

If we allow this trend to continue then we will get back to the days of "Summary execution" for Horse thieves etc etc.

If the law is insufficient to deal with a problem then it should be changed -- and if "Civil collection agencies" - aka back street thugs - are allowed into the loop then there MUST be regulation and an EQUITABLE and FAIR scale of fees.

Whatever the wrongs and rights of the case outlined (was on BBC R5 on 09 Dec 2009) charging £190 GBP for an 80 pence drink goes even in the most biased person's view I'm sure way way over the top.

Even if the person concerned could appeal most of these people don't either have the know how, money or contacts to initiate an appeal -- and that's what these rogue companies do -- play on people's ignorance.

I re-iterate I DON'T in any way condone shop lifting --but punishment should be proportionate to the crime and it's not a far call to seeing this expanding into other areas -- for example if you have a bad meal in a Restaurant and take something off the bill -- and so on.

Cheers

jimbo

Guest Old_andrew2018

I agree and the problem is so many people do not know their rights, as a result they fall foul of the lowlifes, we have a few such people who TROLL this forum

See the RLP forum elsewhere on CAG, which is dedicated to helping people deal with the deceitful and misleading methods used in civil recovery.

'Even if the person concerned could appeal most of these people don't either have the know how, money or contacts to initiate an appeal -- and that's what these rogue companies do -- play on people's ignorance.'

This is the problem. For someone who is switched on these muppets can be taken on BUT they rely on ignorance and intimidation which unfortunately seems to work very well