paying overpayment from 2 benefits

miss jan 59
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:confused:hi im new on here iam recieving income support and carers out of my income support i have deductions taken for an overpayment and social fund loan an error was made overpayment requested payment from my carers as well so there was 2 lots of money being paid from 2 benefits this has gone on for a number of yrs now since i found out what was going on and after numerous phone calls as from next weeek im being given back the money that overpayment section have been stopping i asked them to refund me the money that they had stopped from me as i now know that they cant stop money from 2 benefits for the 1 debt they are now saying that they might keep the money to pay towards the overpayment does any 1 know if they can do that

hi think they are just messing me around phoned carers once again to see if they have sorted out why they were stopping money from my carers 1st it was overpayment section that was supposely have been stopping it now they are saying it wasnt them it was social fund they keep bouncing from 1 to another grrrrrrrr

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi Jan,

After speaking to a friend at the DSS I feel you are wasting your time phoning these idiots (my friends words)

they only spout rubbish and you have no proof of what is said.

Have you considered asking your MP for help, and secondly can I suggest you make contact in writing.

Andy

hi thank you for your response carers actually phoned me today and once again they have passed the buck its back to its overpayments that requested the deductions from my carers think your friend is so right any way going to see a debt adviser tomorrow will let you know how i get on

Its worrying that Carers have been deducting money out of your benefit and they dont know where its going....

Usually what happens is that who ever you owe the money too ie social fund, send a request to take the deductiuons out of your benefit. Carers Allowance would have no say in this and would deduct what is requested.

But they can tell off their screens where it is going !!

You say you are on I.S you should be sent an entitlement letter from time to time it will say on there what deductions are being taken out of that as well

I think you need to speak to social fund to see how much if any is left out of your loan

Then overpayments to see how much if any you have got left on your overpayment. Where you ever sent a breakdown to how and when the overpayment occured.....

If its been taken twice then yes you should be owed arrears by now if the debt has been paid off

After speaking to your advisor, maybe then a letter or two to each department complaining and if your complaint is not resolved then speak to your MP or go straight to him/her

hi mikey i am getting income support and from that they are deducting for social fund loan also overpayment when i have spoken to both parties they have both said that havent recieved any money from carers because they have it on screen that its coming from my is as i said this has gone on for quite awhile now they have been stopping £8.40 per wk i also get a statement income support with a break down of my benefits its so annoying that i cant seem to get anywhere with them thank you for your response i think your right i will have to write to them

Your I.S should be

PA £64.30

CP £29.50

Total £93.80

Minus Your C.A of £53.10 should leave you £40.70

then they take your deductions of social fund loan etc. I make it you should be getting 18.94 I.S

Thats some water rates dedcutions, could you get that reduced

Your Carers should be £53.10, you say you are having £44.70 so £8.40 is going out of that somewhere

How did your overpayment of I.S occur

You could have two ops CA and IS

-

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

hi i was overpaid income support a few yrs ago i was stupid at the time as i guessed i was overpaid so i never disputed it and i agreed to pay it back from my benefits you more or less got it spot on i get just over £17 per wk is when i spoke to income support i asked them if they could take from 2 benefits for 1 debt the guy said he wasnt sure but he said it didnt make sense as i was already paying them and i definetly only got 1 over payment

I thought you may have had two. were you claiming I.S and Carers at the time of the overpayament...

You are right only one benefit can be deducted at a time in respect of one overpayment.

I.S sounds correct then its CA were the problem lies

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

hi sorry it takes me time to reply only my daughter takes over the computer at the time overpayment occured i was only recieving is i went to see cab today and the gut phoned ca and they told him it was an overpayment for widow mothers pension dont know where thats come from as my husband is very much alive we are just seperated and have been for a very long time cab are going to write to ca its getting stranger by the day also no1 has recieved this money so its floating round the system as no 1 can say where or has recieved it once again thank you for taking the time to reply to me

hi sorry it takes me time to reply only my daughter takes over the computer at the time overpayment occured i was only recieving is i went to see cab today and the gut phoned ca and they told him it was an overpayment for widow mothers pension dont know where thats come from as my husband is very much alive we are just seperated and have been for a very long time cab are going to write to ca its getting stranger by the day also no1 has recieved this money so its floating round the system as no 1 can say where or has recieved it once again thank you for taking the time to reply to me

That takes the biscuit !!

Did the guy at CAB get them to stop the deductions, think you may need to get to the bottom of this sooner then later.

Let Cab have a go and if they dont resolve it for you think you need your MP on board

At least you should get it all back and if your MP is involved you can ask for a special payment to be made on top

At least you are happy with your other deductions

hi you asking if cab got did deductions stopped after my many many phone calls they reinstated it back to my carers on the 14th so i think they know they have made a big mistake because i still owe the overpayment cab are going to write to them see what they going to do