style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3634 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am asking for some advice for someone.

Their washing machine has broke, They got it in 2006 but they are still paying for it for a few more weeks.

They rang today saying that they won't repair it as they don't have service cover on it, They removed service cover some time ago, But the person in question told them they had to repair it but they refused, This was the branch manager as well.

So where do they stand? My opinion is Brighthouse are in the wrong and they are fobbing them off.

Hopefully they can get it repaired even if Brighthouse don't like it.

Brighthouse are talking out of their rears as usual. Whether someone has Service Cover or not makes no difference. Under the Supply of Goods Implied Terms act of 1973 Brighthouse are obliged to repair or replace the item.

Put it in writing to the Brighthouse store manager and copy the letter to Brighthouses head office. I would also contact Consumer Direct as they can be very helpful.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Thanks, I thought so!

Even though it is 3 years old, It should last a lot longer than that, Around 5-6 years i believe under the Sales Of Goods Act.

I will get them to put it in writing then.

The Supply of Goods Implied Terms Act of 1973 is for Hire Purchase Items and gives the same rights as the Sale of Goods Act which covers normal goods.

A washing machine should last longer than 5 years. My old one was 7 before it needed replacing. My Brighthouse Washing machine has had more repairs than my old one.

There are a lot of threads on here about Brighthouse not repairing goods because they dont have Service Cover. Look out for Lefty as he is the expert.

Seven years? I bought a top of the range Hotpoint from Comet last year on Boxing Day, nearly £500... It didn't last 11 months lol.

Mine was an old Indesit and i made it last 7 years. It only needed 2 new parts in its time totalling to £60. It needed a new door after 4 years and new Carbon Brushes in the motor after 6 years. The motor was in great condition it was the main board that was broken and we couldnt get a new one so i replaced the washer. Biggest mistake of my life buying the one i have from Brighthouse. I will go to Harrods next time!!

My old Servis lasted me 12 years. Was going to get another one but apparently they don't make them the same now. Got a Hotpoint - thinking is that they are easy to get repaired if it does go wrong. Hope I'm right! Only had it a year.

Hi

Look, it's really simple when it comes to hire purchase or, as BrightHouse like to call them, "rent-to-own" agreements...

You are HIRING your washing machine from BrightHouse right up until you make the last payment. After that time you have an OPTION to own it.

Whilst you are HIRING an item, the Supply ofd Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1974 requires that the item you are hiring is "fit for the purpose" - in other words, the DAMN thing actually WORKS!!!

This is absolutely NOTHING at all to do with service cover, warranties or anything.

Speak to Consumer Direct, and let them guide you.

Cheers

Lefty

Oh, and PS.... I totally agree with your user name! They really do suck!!! ;)

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)