Need help and advice on private renting!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am new to this site so i apologise if i make any mistakes or sound confusing. I will explain my situation as best as i can, and i will greatly appreciate any help.

I am privately renting out a property (house) with my two kids and my rent is paid for by the council. I am 21 and currently on benefits.

I have been renting out the property for over a year now through an estate agents and i have had alsorts of problems with my landlord. I dont know anything about legal rights for tenants and the estate agents seem to be taking the landlords side about everything. I am going to write to the estate agent and landlord detailing all my concerns and repairs which need to be done, so anyone who can help me please respond as i am quite desperate now and i dont really know who else to turn to about all this.

I have highlighted all my concerns and problems below:

1) The landlord on more than a few occasions has walked in the house without permission. I raised the concern about this to the estate agents who told me they told the landlord he cannot do this. recently the landlord walked in agian and starting shouting for me. My phone has been off for a while due to my phone breaking and i cant afford to get another one yet, but they do have my mums number. They stated the landlord needed to get in the property to carry out repairs but they havent been able to get a hold of me eventhough the estate agents is about 2 mintues away from the house and keep stating they cant get a hold of me and my mum and the landlord needs to get in the property thats why he has been comming in without me knowing.

I dont feel safe in the house anymore as im constantly worrying about when the landlord is going to turn up and just walk in i dont know what to do. What laws are in place and what can i do about this?

2) The landlord recently fitted in central heating throughout the whole house which took 3 weeks. The house was fitted with convecter heaters thorughout the house. Two workmen came to fit in central heating for two days and left leaving the central heating not functioning and i was left with no hot water in the kitchen and bathroom for 3 weeks. the only heating i did have was a convecter heater in the living room and 1 in the main bedroom. My kids bedroom had no heating so i could not let them sleep in there rooms as it was really cold.

The workmen came back three weeks later and carried out work on the central heating and some electrics for the central heating. The heating worked for two days and went off agian due to some problems and leaks which took another 2 to 3 weeks to fix. Now the house was really cold and i cant explain how cold it was, i decided to stay with my mum, sister, and dad because of this and i was out of the property for two weeks during the period the central heating was being fitted and fixed.

Yes there was convecter heaters in the living room but it was not enough heating and it was so expensive to run the convecter heaters i couldnt afford to run these. What can i do about this and are there any laws in place? and can i claim for the time i was living out of the house?

3) Due to the work being carried out for the central heating, in the kitchen the workmen left a hole in the wall the size of a tennis ball and cold air is comming through. exposed electric wires due to a new socked being fitted in the wall, they replaced the old boiler which had a door in place in order to access it with a new boiler and some of the boiler is sticking out and the door off the hinges, the kitchen door is also off the hinges and not been put back on, in the living room there are electric boxes which were fitted to control the central heating and the mains switches which are all exposed and not boxed off. Now i had a conditions officer from the council who took a look at the place and he did state these need to be repaired it has been over 4 weeks now and nothing has still been done for all the repairs. What laws are in place and what can i do about these?

4) There is a damp problem through the whole house, it has got to the stage now when i wake up in the morning i can smell a really off smell, there are damp patches in the bathroom dinning room, and in the living room there are damp patches with black spots and patches, what can i do about this and what laws are in place?

5) The landlord and estate agents has on a few occasions wrote to me by letter stating i am in breach of contract for sharing the house with another person. Myself and my two kids are living at the house and the estate agents know this. My boyfriend lives in coventry and i live in peterborough. My boyfriend is studying at coventry university in his final year and is currently renting out a property. He does come and stay with me every two weeks for 2 to 3 nights and goes back home to coventry. The reason why the estate agent and landlord think i am in breach of the contract because they have seen my boyfriend at the house and think he is living there which he is not. I am aware he cannot not live with me and he doesnt stay longer than 3 nights usually but he has on a few occassions stayed for a week. What rights do i have and what laws are in place for this?

I have written a lot on this post which i apologise for in advance but i am really worried about all this it really is stressing me out. The landlord keeps stating laws and has told me i will be evicted if i dont stay within my tenancy agreement but i am positive i have not breached my contract, i clean and scrub the house everyday. I paid my rent 4 days late this week and the amount of phone calls and voice mails my mum received about this was unbelievable but when i need reapirs done they dont respond.

I will really appreciate all the help i recieve so please help me anyone!!

Exactly as above.

1. Change the locks. The landlord CANNOT just walk in - it is illegal. You have a letterbox, so he could always drop a not in.

2. Weeks to fix the heating? You have kids and the house MUST be a reasonable temperature to be habitable. Make a not of the days it wasn't.

3. Exposed wires? Environmental health immediately. Your kids lives depend on it!

4. Hole in the wall? Bring on the w....... sorry. Again, totally unacceptable.

5. How do the Estate agents know your BF has stayed over? None of their business! Unless he actualyy moves in, it is not of any concern of theirs.

Do not be afraid of living in YOUR home. It doesn't matter who owns the house, it is YOUR home now and people must respect that. Landlord must make appointments to do anything and they must be at a reasonable time of day. Heating work should be a priority as you have children. What excatly took them 3 weeks to fix? Are you sure this was carried out by Gas Safe registered fitters?

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Well basically the workmen came in for two days to fix the central heating and then dissapeared and didnt come back till 2 and a half weeks later. During the two days the workmen were at the house i came back after dropping my daughter of to school about 10am i walked in to my dining room straight towards my living room door and one of the workmen opened the door and said "Sorry im just with a customer" and sat back down on the sofa and there was a woman sat down and they were talking about something.

They did some electric work for another 2-3 days and then for another 2 weeks a trip switch kept switching off the boiler and took the landlord two weeks to sort this and i had no heating. Then the pressure was dropping and i got on to the estate agents it took the landlord another two weeks to sort out.

I was told by the landlord he had to wait for the electricians to come and do the wiring for the central heating but he wasnt bothered that i had to stay in the house with my kids with limited heating. even after the heating was done i still had problems with it due to leaking pipes so in total it has taken nearly 2 and a half months for the central heating to be fully working, the leaks and some problem with a trip switch were fixed last week.

I really am quite scared of living there nowhence why the reason my bf has been staying over more often i havent really got a choice but to live there i havent got anyone else and he hasnt moved in at all but it has been pointed out to me by the estate agents i am allowed to share occupancy. There was an inspection at my house when my bf was there and the landlord has seen my bf a few times but they keep putting in writing i am in breach of my contract due to my bf staying over.

I am going to write a letter to the estate agents highlighting all the laws and rights i do have, but i dont have a clue about any laws or rights so i really do need someone to look at the points i made above in my original post and state what laws and rights are in place and what i can do about each point, i will then write out a letter highligting each point, that way i have everything in writing.

For example im pretty sure if the landlord doesnt carry out repairs i am allowed to gain 3 estimates for the repairs and put these to landlord and if he doesnt comply i can carry out the repairs and take it out the rent. But i dont know where this law is or what it is called.

So if anyone one can help me please get back to me. It really is stressing me out the way im being treated by my landlord and the breaches i am supposed to be in on my contract. Thank you for replying back to those who did i appreciate it.

Hi Linzi... you're like me, trying to get as much info as you can and covering as many bases as you can.

I started noticing some weird deja vu as I jumped between this forum and another one. It seems that you've gotten some pretty spot on advice on LandlordZone regarding your problem from Paul Gibbs. If you haven't been back there to check it out you should.

If you don't like that then here, or there could you please highlight what more you feel you need help with and I'm sure others would respond. :D

Edited by AngelofSol

Also, I had a thought, bouncing between your posts on the two forums...

You're looking for things to state, highlight as you would in a letter to your LL.

If you have a copy of your lease that would be a good place to start. It should have lined out in seperate sections your responsibilites as the T and the LL's responsibilities. In my lease there are numbers next to each clause... something like 2.4.35 to show that it's section two, group 4, blah blah blah.

The section for your LL isn't going to be very big so while I'd still highlight that stuff in your letter from the lease what you want will be found in the Housing Act... I'm not sure if it's 1985, 1988, or later, but hopefully someone will clarify it. I'm having problems locating it myself even though it's mentioned all the time on this and other forums. Go figure, it's not around when you need it!

Specific regulations et al I can't help you with, but if you look through the various housing acts you might be able to find what you're looking for yourself and you'll probably learn alot about your rights in the process.

In the Housing Acts is where you will find the host and myraid of tenant rights. Rights you never knew you had! While let agreements are drawn up to give a huge veil that their is little responsibility on the LL, when that's simply not the case. Knowledge is power.

Now, I'll keep an eye out for which housing act it is and if I find a link to it I'll post back here.

I am not a lawyer but here's my two pen'th. It assumes that you have an assured shorthold tenancy agreement

I have been renting out the property for over a year now through an estate agents and i have had alsorts of problems with my landlord. I dont know anything about legal rights for tenants and the estate agents seem to be taking the landlords side about everything.

The estate agent is paid for by the landlord and acts on his behalf. They will always take the landlord's side because that is what they are paid to do

The landlord on more than a few occasions has walked in the house without permission. I raised the concern about this to the estate agents who told me they told the landlord he cannot do this. recently the landlord walked in agian and starting shouting for me. My phone has been off for a while due to my phone breaking and i cant afford to get another one yet, but they do have my mums number. They stated the landlord needed to get in the property to carry out repairs but they havent been able to get a hold of me eventhough the estate agents is about 2 mintues away from the house and keep stating they cant get a hold of me and my mum and the landlord needs to get in the property thats why he has been comming in without me knowing.

He absolutely cannot do this and if he does it more than once could be found to be guilty of harassment, which is a criminal offence. You are absolutely entitled to what is known as "quiet enjoyment" of your home. This doesn't mean you have to be quiet (although with two young kids I can't see you having all night parties every night!). What it means is that you have the right to live without the landlord coming and going as they please. Have a look at your rental agreement, it will probably say something about 48 hours notice unless its an emergency. Even if it doesn't (or it says something different) that's what the law says (actually I think the law says reasonable notice but you get my point).

I dont feel safe in the house anymore as im constantly worrying about when the landlord is going to turn up and just walk in i dont know what to do. What laws are in place and what can i do about this?

The law is the Housing Act and, even though you are renting privately, the prosecuting authority for offences under the act is the local council (specifically the housing department). What you need to do is get in contact with your local council's housing department, tell them what's happening and take it from there. Their contact details are on this page

Housing options

I've skipped the bits about the lack of hot water and heating because they've been covered by other people

The landlord and estate agents has on a few occasions wrote to me by letter stating i am in breach of contract for sharing the house with another person. Myself and my two kids are living at the house and the estate agents know this. My boyfriend lives in coventry and i live in peterborough. My boyfriend is studying at coventry university in his final year and is currently renting out a property. He does come and stay with me every two weeks for 2 to 3 nights and goes back home to coventry. The reason why the estate agent and landlord think i am in breach of the contract because they have seen my boyfriend at the house and think he is living there which he is not. I am aware he cannot not live with me and he doesnt stay longer than 3 nights usually but he has on a few occassions stayed for a week. What rights do i have and what laws are in place for this?

Tell them to mind their own bloody business! You can live with whomever you please. Why on earth do you think that he cannot live with you?

I have written a lot on this post which i apologise for in advance but i am really worried about all this it really is stressing me out. The landlord keeps stating laws and has told me i will be evicted if i dont stay within my tenancy agreement but i am positive i have not breached my contract, i clean and scrub the house everyday.

You don't need to clean and scrub every day to stay within your tenancy agreement. If you choose to live in filth and squalor, that is your lifestyle choice and no concern of the landlords, provided you make good any damage at the end of the tenancy. If you've come to the end of your fixed term (and after a year I assume you have) and you haven't signed another agreement, then the landlord can ask you to leave, but he has to give you at least two months notice. If you don't leave he then has to go to court to get an eviction order, which will take another 2 or 3 months at least. If and when he gets the eviction order, he still can't force you out - he has to get the court bailiffs to do that (although if it reaches this stage you'd be wise to leave of your own accord)

I paid my rent 4 days late this week and the amount of phone calls and voice mails my mum received about this was unbelievable
Is your mum guarantor? Even if she is, this alone could constitute harassment. Please talk to the council

Sorry in advance for a longer post, hope it helps in some way though.

First off, a question for you, what was the original term of your tenancy?

Are you holding over, i.e. has it expired and you are you continuing month by month?

Back to your original numbering:

1) Access

Other posters here are quite correct, it's your home.

I can understand access at short notice in an emergency, but, even then, unexpected visits are not reasonable.

These "gentlemen" wouldn't expect, or accept it in their home, why should you? The comment from the contractor about being with a customer was just plain odd. We can all come up with some very odd stories of Agent / contractor, but this just sounds plain rude - and odd.

If needs be speak to the Local Authority, and let them know you're sufficiently concerned to speak with the Local Community Police Officers too. Their direct numbers should be easily traceable via google.

2) Central heating

Two edged sword, perhaps. Yes, landlord has upgraded, but be sure there'll be an increase in rent for the local authority to cover in due course.

More importantly, how/when did you document the problems with the Agent/Landlord? How/when did you call/email them?

Letters are OK, but emails are fine for things like this, as you're leaving a 'virtual paper trail', so don't worry about formality of letters at this stage.

Also, if they are idiots, and sounds a bit like they are, then they may be lulled in to saying something damning in an email that they wouldn't in a letter.

3) As JimmySpangle says - get on to the Agent immediately, if not done already, and the Local Authority too.

Exposed wires? Here's hoping they're not live.

Aside from any specific legal requirements, the Agent and landlord owe you a 'duty of care'; the property must be safe, wherever reasonably practical.

Appreciate you don't need to be told, as it's your home, but, all the same, remember that a contractor has seen and left this mess. And still walked away from it. That's not right.

The works don't appear to have been properly signed off, yet. I, for one, wouldn't want to be the Agent/landlord had matters taken a turn for the worse.

Which, fortunately, they haven't as you're posting messages without the need of a medium.

4) Damp/condensation

There's two broad areas here - if it's a building defect then the Agent / Landlord needs to sort it.

If it's "just" 'condensation' then you may be able to help yourself here. It can be quite a common problem.

It's late, but google 'condensation/blackspot mould/ventilation' and you should find some helpful advice. I'll find a link too, if I can.

5) I like JimmySpangle's approach, save that you may want the Agent off your back too.

Check your lease, post it here (an edited version, of course) and get some comments back. Then consider giving the Agent the facts as you've put them here.

There's been some helpful posts on this elsewhere at CAG, but, in broad terms, he either lives you with you, or periodically stays. You say your boyfriend is renting out a property, why not give the Agent his name and address in Coventry by way of "proof" and be done with this once and for all?

As for your other comments

Four days late with your rent? I've been polite to tenants who have owed landlord years worth of rent, before taking over and resolving (or trying to resolve) such problems.

Again, the Agents sound like idiots, albeit unprofessional ones too. Or is it that they are professional idiots? Probably the latter.

Also, you said

"For example im pretty sure if the landlord doesnt carry out repairs i am allowed to gain 3 estimates for the repairs and put these to landlord and if he doesnt comply i can carry out the repairs and take it out the rent. But i dont know where this law is or what it is called."

Various pieces of legislation, main one, perhaps, for rented property is Section 11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985

I've lifted the following from a link elsewhere, which states

"Section 11 applies to leases or tenancy agreement granted on or after 24th October 1961 for less than seven years. The vast majority of Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement s are periodic or for terms of less than seven years and therefore Section 11 applies for these tenancy agreement s. The landlords implied obligations under Section 11 are:

* To keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling (including drains, gutters and external pipes) to fulfill the tenancy agreement.

* To keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity and sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences) to fulfill the tenancy agreement.

* To keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for room and water heating to fulfill the tenancy agreement."

but as each website that quotes this lifts from another webiste may need to go back to source. The 85 Act isn't available from the HMSO website, whereas more recent legilsation is now.

As for withholding rent, you need to be careful how you approach it. Need to document everything in advance and seek approval from the Agent / Landlord every step of the way, wherever possible. It can be very easy though, especially with the Local Authority taking an interest. And CAG posters too.

That'll do for starters though, hope it helps clarify matters a bit.

Couple of unrelated comments. I know there was mention of living in squalor (tongue in cheek I'm sure), but, bear in mind that when the Agent does inspect, having given proper notice, they will record/comment on what they see.

If someone is looking after a property and is little or no trouble then, come renewal, you should have less bother too. I'm not suggesting you run scared of these idiots (as that is what they sound like), but a careful worded letter now, setting out your concerns, may well help your case now and in the future, long after these current issues have been sorted.

If you want to post your draft letter here I'm sure many others will comment, as will I, if I can.

Hope that helps and good luck in getting in all sorted quickly now.

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

Hi,

Thank you to everyone that has posted a reply back to me i really appreciate it, its good to know people are willing to help. Thank you Emma, jimmy spangle, angel of sol, bedlington and NewSAHD for replying back you have given me some usefull information and relieved a lot of stress of my head which i am gratefull for.

Iv managed to get a hold of my local council and spoke to someone in the housing department. I explained everything that had been going on

and they contacted the estate agents who are dealing with the landlord. I received a call back from the housing department and basically

she didnt sound to enthusiastic about helping me out and she told me everything the estate agents told her:

1) The garden is a mess and i have beached my contract, i have explained i will get this sorted, garden being a mess is due to putting in new sofas and a bed.

2) the rent was late and i was in breach

3)And she stated she was not prepared to say everything she was told dont really know what she meant by that

Ok i have read everything that has been posted on here and to be honest i dont want the landlord to get angry and evict me as i would have to be

allocated temporary housing in a bedsit which is in another town an hour away from my family and friends so i dont want to be evicted so i have

to be carefull how i approach this. I am on a month by month contract the intial 6 month minumum term ended a while ago and i did not sign

another contract.

1) Firstly as for the landlord walking in i was told by the council the estate agent and landlord have been contacting my number but could

not get a hold of me, which is true i do not have a mobile at the moment which i have explained to them, but they do have my mums number

i personally gave this to them but they are denying this. This is why the landlord has been walking in unexpected to carry out repairs nothing

which required EMERGENCY access. Now i have been to the estate agents and given them several contact numbers in order to get a hold of me so they cant say they dont have contact numbers.

Now i am within my rights to request that i be given 24 hours WRITTEN notice (if the landlord wants to come and do some repairs)

if they cannot get into contact with me by telephone? I stated to the estate agents if the landlord couldnt get a hold of me he should have

written a notice to say when he was going to come, they replied with no they want contact numbers so they can do this by telephone?

Is the landlord allowed to come and inspect the place even if there is not any repairs?

2) The central heating is fully working now and there are no problems. The only concern is the repairs, which include exposed wire by the sockets

and electrical boxes fitted for the central heating and mains switches which need to be boxed off, also the hole in the kitchen wall, a door to cover the boiler.

These were written down and a letter sent by the conditions officer for the council in october and they havent been done yet, can i request for

these to be done and a estimated timescale of when these will be done?

3) The damp problem i will try to sort my self but what if i cannot can i request for this to be sorted out and when this will be done? the landlord

has also stated to me he hasnt been able to get most of the repairs done because he has had hip problems and his son has broken his leg and he

hasnt had anyone to help him which i dont think is true, so can i make a request to get someone to do and take it out of the rent?

4) As for my boyfriend visiting, iv been doing some reading on this and basically i think im allowed a visitor to stay for 3 nights maximum

as the council are paying for my rent i cant find any information which confirms this, can someone one help me?. I will be writing a letter giving contact numbers for the landlord to confirm he is renting a property in coventry and tell them he is studying at a university over there which he is full time so he is not staying with me. On several occasions the estate

agents have stated i am in breach of my contract because i am sharing occupancy of the house. So would this be enough evidence to show them that he is not?

What is the maximum nights my bf can stay?

I am going to write a letter after i have received a reponse from this post and post this on here for some advice and if possible to make it look more techical and professional, this will be sent to the estate agents, but i want to be carefull as i dont want the landlord to evict me. The council seem to be on the landlords side as if i am evicted they would have to rehouse me and it is more paperwork for them, they wont very helpfull

when i explained my situation so i will have to sort this my self.

Sorry if anything sounds confusing, but i just want to get all this sorted and enjoy christmas because at the moment it wont be a good one

and i wont have a house to live in my kids are being affected by all this too, so i apologise if there any errors or anything confusing.

1) its your home. No-one can come in without your express permission. It doesn't matter that the landlord cannot get in touch with you, that's his problem. He still needs your permission. If he did manage to get in touch with you and you refused there is nothing he could do. The only exception to this is for emergency repairs.

2) The exposed electrical wires are dangerous, especially as you have small children. I assume that the conditions officer works for environmental health at the council? If so I suggest you get back in touch with them and tell them that the repairs haven't been done

3) I'm sorry that both the landlord and his son have health difficulties that prevent them from fixing the damp problem themselves but, unfortunately for them, it doesn't absolve them of the responsibility for it. There are an awful lot of unemployed builders out there at the moment that would be delighted to do the work. I would bring this up with environmental health as well

4) Regardless of what your agreement says your boyfriend could move in with you if that was what you both wanted. However, from your latest post I think the question you are really asking is "How long can my boyfriend stay without it affecting my benefit". The three days that you quote rings a bell but I've no idea where from. Be aware though that if you are in receipt of other benefits they may be affected as well and that the rules may be different.

I'm going to back out of this thread now and leave you in the capable hands of AngelofSol as he is using the same resources that I am. Having said that, you said in your most recent post that " i dont want the landlord to get angry and evict me as i would have to be

allocated temporary housing in a bedsit which is in another town an hour away from my family and friends". How do you know where it would be and what form the temporary housing would take?

Edited by bedlington83

4) Regardless of what your agreement says your boyfriend could move in with you if that was what you both wanted. However, from your latest post I think the question you are really asking is "How long can my boyfriend stay without it affecting my benefit". The three days that you quote rings a bell but I've no idea where from. Be aware though that if you are in receipt of other benefits they may be affected as well and that the rules may be different.

linzi21, hi, I'm sure I've seen posts about this on the Benefits section of CAG. Have a nosey around there and you should find the answer you're looking for there. If not, post back and will try to have a dig around too later.

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

1) you said in your most recent post that " i dont want the landlord to get angry and evict me as i would have to be

allocated temporary housing in a bedsit which is in another town an hour away from my family and friends". How do you know where it would be and what form the temporary housing would take?

Because that is what the council tell them. A young couple who occupy a small flat in the block where I am living applied to the council for rehousing as they are expecting a baby, and their lease specifically states that children are not allowed. The couple were told by the council that if they are evicted they would be put in bedsit accommodation in a town which is actually over an hour's drive from here!! It is to try to force people to stay put and not become a problem - disgraceful.

Regarding visits by landlord or LL's representative, the law states that you are entitled to receive 24 hours WRITTEN notice to advise you of potential visits. You also DO NOT HAVE TO LET THEM IN. If they insist, and it is not a real emergency, this is harrassment which is a serious offence.

Your first priority is to make sure your rent is up to date. The garden is actually none of their business - provided at the end of your tenancy you return it to its original condition. However, better to keep it tidy - easier in the long run!

Condensation and mould - a useful article. Aimed at landlords but gives lots of info and tips on how to avoid the problems.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/pdf/Mould.pdf

A few personal tips - always use lids on your saucepans; don't always wait for the kettle to switch itself off - if you are there when it boils, turn it off; try not to dry wet things indoors - particularly heavy cottons like towels - dry in a tumble dryer if possible. The aim is to reduce the amount of water in the air around you. It is this airborne water which when it hits cold surfaces such as walls and ceilings becomes the water droplets which mould loves. If you have one, use a dehumidifier next to your washing as it is drying - you will be amazed how much water collects in the tank and it really does help the washing to dry more quickly by taking the moisture out of the air! Open windows regularly to air the house and if you can lock them open a little bit - all of these things will help.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice