• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

To upgrade or not upgrade that is the question..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Techies...

Tecnophobe here.. :oops:

I recently bought a basic Desktop PC which came with Windows Vista and the option of upgrading to Windows 7... I have a little voucher

thingy but I have to pay for processing the order, producing the media and shipping... ( see I've started reading the smallprint :D)...

The upshot is... is it worth it??

Comments and advice welcome ... Thank you..

Spam. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

I wondered what the difference was too. Vista works fine for what I do but then I don't do very much, just basic stuff.

Exactly... as long as I can type my documents/ save pictures/ listen to music and get on internet I'm suited...

The more stuff they throw at me the more confused I get.. :rolleyes:

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I Am Still Using Xp After I Installed That Crap Vista

I Would Wait Six Months Before Even Trying Windows 7

Public As Test Subjects Again

My voucher thingy only lasts until end of Jan... (:oops: thats January Not Jan4a)... so not much time to decide.. :cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds to me like you'll be OK with Vista so wouldn't spend money on Windows.

See what the techies say later, I know Locutus recently posted a link (can't remember where I saw it) that said how much Windows 7 was for students (£30 I think). Isn't your daughter a student? Might be cheaper than the costs with your voucher if you decide you want it.

The upgrade is actually 'free' it's just shipping etc they are charging for.. but don't say how much..

Cos I don't know what the difference between the two systems is, I just wonder whether it's worth the hassle.. :cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7 is nice... I like it a lot! Uses about the same resources as Vista, but has quite a few extras and nice touches.

My choice, if the system has under 2 gig of memory, go for Windows XP. 2 - 3 gig of memory, go for Windows 7

Over 3 gig get the 64 bit windows 7.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

the word "shipping" made me think US and expensive - maybe I'm just being too cynical... Maybe not....

Brother in law has been quoted £30 from Fujitsu Siemens for the "free" upgrade :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Brother in law has been quoted £30 from Fujitsu Siemens for the "free" upgrade :p

Aha... that's the same as mine... deffo not worth it then... question answered... ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Makes me wonder where they stand legally with that issue... they offered a "free" upgrade so people would still buy PC's in the run up to 7 being released! No way it costs £30 to send 2 DVDs!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Tis a bit of a con isn't it ?

Not that I'm particularly bothered... but the issue might be worth looking into on a rainy day... :rolleyes:

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just had a look on the fujitsu siemens website and it says 11 euro (thats about a tenner!) I dunno what the brother in law did! I'll look into it later!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

It depends on the machine. For my Packard-Bell lappy, £19.90. For DH's Acer desktop, £12.75.

When you follow the link, make sure you do NOT tick the "electronic transfer" one, as it adds nearly £9 in fees. :-(

I read quite a bit about 7 and a friend asked me to customise the lappy for his daughter which has 7 on it, and I liked it, so I took the plunge and ordered mine and DH's yesterday (DH can not cope with Vista, so is looking forward to something more XP-like).

I would recommend Windows 7 over Vista anyday, you can run Windows 7 on the same sort of machines as a Machine that runs XP. I have it on my eee PC (1GB Ram, 800mhz Processor) and it runs fine.

It has been built to not only work on up to the date machines, but also run on the new netbooks and is a lot less clunky than vista. I don't necessarily agree with having to pay for the upgrade, but assume Windows 7 is what vista should have been. Things that don't run vista can generally run windows 7.

I have it on all my machines now (3 of them but thankfully I get them for free on my MSDN licence at uni)

From a technical point of view, if you have a machine that has over 2gb ram, an up to date processor then there is no need to upgrade. If your specs are a little lower, or vista is running slower then I would recommend an update as this is what windows 7 has been designed to do.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Being a fully fleged techy, and having installed 7 yesterday on the main machine, im finding it a touch funny with certain aspects. Basically, I run 5 pc's which are on 24/7. One is the main server, which is used for back ups (xp), the beast (7), which is my day to day machine, the share, where all the films and music is stored (xp), the media centre (vista) and the wifes lappy (vista). My main concern is attempting to get the other pc's which are all either xp or vista to be seen on the 7 pc. Rather, get the media to stream from the share pc, to be accessed on the 7 pc.

For the life of me, at the moment its got me beat, the only way im able to play the music, is to copy and paste it from the share over to a spare drive on the beast, and play it from there. I dont have the time to check everything else out at the moment, but 7 is blisteringly fast, in most aspects. Thinking perserverance is the key to this lol.. Sorry for going off topic.

be safe jgg :)

JollyGreen, isn't that a feature of 7 specifically that you can stream between 7 & 7, but 7 can't see non-7? I'm sure I came across an article about that the other day, which is the reason we decided to upgrade both lappy and PC at the same time. I'll see if I can find the article for you.

thanks bookie, looks like its a case of either reverting back to vista for the beast, or a major expense on upgrading all the other pc's.. i also seem to remember seeing something the other day, and thought there has to be a way around it.. alas as of yet, i cant find that way lol

be safe nige :) xx

This is how I share my folder with the XP laptop.

Create a user acount with a password

Share the files / Folders by right clicking - Properties>Sharing>Share then add Everyone and change the permitions level to read/write (if you want the other PC's to be able to modify the files)

Hope that helps!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

thanks for that locutus,ill give it a try later. its rather hectic in the workshop at the moment, and as im closing down for xmas on the 21st, for 2 weeks, everyone wants everything doing like yesterday.

so when im closed, ill have more time for tinkering.

take it easy. be safe nige :)

Windows 'upgrades' are worth it only for a business use or if the Home User sees a particular add-on that will help them. Most Home users will be impressed with 1 or 2 changes (not neccesarily improvements). I'd stay as you are bud. The WINDOWS adverts are very good at portraying their latest model as improving your life. It wont.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I'cve just upgraded to W7 from XP, and can honestly say it's so much better. The clunkyness of Vista has gone. I've always been a staunch supporter of XP, and always said I'd never upgrade, for a few yaers at least, but due to a major pc issue, I put W7 Ultimate on, and it's sound.

If you got a chance at a (almost!) free upgrade, if it was me, i'd take it. Also, the issue jolly has with sharing, my other pc has xp, and it can see W7, but to be honest, I've not tried sharing it or anything yet.