jamespan

NPower does this bill look right?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3650 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I must regret having switched to Npower last July.

I was on dual fuel and they had so far only sent 2 bills to me. The last one is from Jan 2009 -> July 2009, the amounts are as following:

Electricity: 2350kWh (est.) £318.41 (inc. VAT)

Gas: 594000 cu.ft. (actual) £530.20 (inc. VAT)

Before talking about the figures I guess it might help to give some details.

It's a 4 bedroom house, gas hob, gas HW+CH.

1xfridge, 1xfreezer (about the size of an oven), washing machine, microwave, oven.

On average there are 4 laptops used extensively. Some other small appliances (speakers, printers etc.) are frequently used as well. (However no big plasmas etc..)

Do the above usages, especially the estimated electricity make sense?

Now that I have left the property and the problem is the electricity reading had always been estimated since account opening, I was unable to open the meter locker. I could't figure out what kind of tool to use, tried all sizes of hex keys, screw drivers without success.

I am in a situation where the supplier insists on me sending them the reading. They said the account will not be closed until a reading is given. But as I couldn't get access, I requested the letting agent to send soomeone which they might or might not have done. Either ways both sides got back to me saying they couldn't access the meter so it is the other party's responsibility.

(Funny though as I questioned the Npower rep. that if no one is able to get to the meter at the end, then would I be paying for energy of the house forever. She said yes...:confused:)

Is it possible to have gas & elec. meters in different locations where one can be reached but not the other? Also from general knowledge (as I've been in the UK for only a few years), what bizarre kind of device could have been used to secure a meter cabinet?

if it is a standard meter box on the outside of your house, it is usually a triangle shape, and you can buy the keys from hardware stores such as wilkinson for about 50p.

The meters can quite easily be in differen places, depending on the builder who put the supplies in

if it is a standard meter box on the outside of your house, it is usually a triangle shape, and you can buy the keys from hardware stores such as wilkinson for about 50p.

The meters can quite easily be in differen places, depending on the builder who put the supplies in

The guys at npower actually sent me, a couple of times, those keys that you mentioned. I was once under the impression that the meter is inside the house, but just couldn't find anything after searching all over.

In front of the fuse box, there is a strange wooden "wall" which has a square opening just wide enough to allow access to the switches. It's not a proper "wall" but more like a floor-to-ceiling partition that blocked the whole surface behind it. I suspect the meter could be located close to the fuse box, but like I said, the partition only reveals the switches so there's no way to know what's behind.

I wonder if the bill looks alright or too high? As it seems I'm gonna end up with an estimated final bill.