Magistrates fine and massive bailiff fees!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone can help me with this as I have a real problem.

In December last year I was done for driving a car without a valid MOT. My fault, stupid mistake, held my hands up. I got two fines, one from the Mags court for £90 the other from the DVLA for £90. I paid the DVLA one by credit card and sent a cheque to the Mags for the other £90 and forgot all about it.

Then last week I got a knock on the door from a guy from Philips. Seemed quite a reasonable guy and told me that the courts still had this as an outstanding amount and that I owed £240. I said this must be a mistake but he said to just check my bank details and send it all off to them, then he left.

As I've moved banks since then it's going to take about 2 weeks to get the old statements through and in any case they will only show a chq number for the amount, not who it's to etc. (Im also beginning to think they may have not received the cheque as I posted it from Cyprus and the bank listed a lot of amounts over the phone when I called but I can't be sure till I see if that this was one of them)

Anyway, I'm happy to pay the £90 if it's still outstanding but they other fees are £50 registration and £100 for an alledged visit in November which Philips never made. So they're looking for me to pay them £240 in 7 days!

Can anyone tell me what I can do? Can I just pay the Mags £90 now if they haven't received it? The other £150 just seems outrageous and for no reason.