Bailiff had wrong name and wrong address - yet collected money!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5223 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this is my first post so please be nice to me.

We had a visit from a bailiff working for Swift Credit Services. The bailiff came into our house saying that one Lynette XYZ (never heard that name before) owed council tax to the Bridgend Council. My wife told the bailiff that she didn't know about XYZ whereabouts and the bailiff ask her for her ID. She showed him her passport but as we got married recently her password was still in her maiden name. The bailiff said that the passport was a fake and insisted on her paying the amount of £445.60. I also managed to call the bailiff and tried to explain the situation but the bailiff said that my wife was not my wife and hung up. My wife was at home with our 3 months old boy who was crying so she decided to use her debit card to pay the amount. Note that the debit card she used was in her name - nowhere on any document she showed the bailiff was mentioned the name XYZ. He left some paperwork and drove away.

Is there any advice how to quickly recover the money the bailiff stole from us? I called the company (Swift credit) but they were deaf to my arguments. I also called the police (afterwards) but they told me that was a civil matter and didn't really help me.

The main question is: can a bailiff accused my wife of falsifying her passport. Is a bailiff allowed to collect money from someone else. Is a bailiff allowed to threaten someone to cease possessions which don't belong to the debtor? And where to complain about such bailiff?

Many thanks!

phone the council and tell them exactly what happened tell them the bailiff refused to leave your home without a payment and threatened you with the removal of goods tell them you had no other choice than to pay the bailiffs because even after showing the bailiff proof that you were not the person he called you a liar

when you phone the council ask to speak to a supervisor don't let them fob you off the council are responsible for any bailiffs action

ask for the name of the person you are speaking to note the name date and time

tell them it is very simple for them to see who is registrar to pay council tax at your address and it is not xxxxx

if you get no joy from the council phone your MP and put an official complaint in writing to the council and the bailiffs

phone the council and tell them exactly what happened tell them the bailiff refused to leave your home without a payment and threatened you with the removal of goods tell them you had no other choice than to pay the bailiffs because even after showing the bailiff proof that you were not the person he called you a liar

I called the council but that didn't work. The problem is that we live in Southend on Sea, Essex which is 300 miles from Bridgend, Wales. They asked me for council tax number or address (in Bridgend) which I don't have.

They requested more documents from me which I sent them yesterday. Still I'd like to resolve this matter swiftly as we need the money - Christmas is coming.

Anyway, thanks for you reply! Highly appreciated!

Hi, this is my first post so please be nice to me.

We had a visit from a bailiff working for Swift Credit Services. The bailiff came into our house saying that one Lynette XYZ (never heard that name before) owed council tax to the Bridgend Council. My wife told the bailiff that she didn't know about XYZ whereabouts and the bailiff ask her for her ID. She showed him her passport but as we got married recently her password was still in her maiden name. The bailiff said that the passport was a fake and insisted on her paying the amount of £445.60. I also managed to call the bailiff and tried to explain the situation but the bailiff said that my wife was not my wife and hung up. My wife was at home with our 3 months old boy who was crying so she decided to use her debit card to pay the amount. Note that the debit card she used was in her name - nowhere on any document she showed the bailiff was mentioned the name XYZ. He left some paperwork and drove away.

Is there any advice how to quickly recover the money the bailiff stole from us? I called the company (Swift credit) but they were deaf to my arguments. I also called the police (afterwards) but they told me that was a civil matter and didn't really help me.

The main question is: can a bailiff accused my wife of falsifying her passport. Is a bailiff allowed to collect money from someone else. Is a bailiff allowed to threaten someone to cease possessions which don't belong to the debtor? And where to complain about such bailiff?

Many thanks!

The bailiff is working on behalf of Bridgend Council and they are wholly responsible for the actions of the bailiffs as they are working as their agents.

It is VITAL that you contact the council TODAY.

Just called the Bridgend council again. Didn't get very far but they promised to pass our case on to a supervisor.

If that doesn't work I'm going to call a councillor as suggested in previous posts.

Thanks for your help guys!

All right, they called me back and told me that a refund would be send soon. I also insisted on a formal apology and they said they would issue one.

Generally speaking they were nice to me and I could sense they were really embarrassed by the situation (so I didn't push them really hard).

Hopefully the matter will be resolved soon.

Thanks again!

All right, they called me back and told me that a refund would be send soon. I also insisted on a formal apology and they said they would issue one.

Generally speaking they were nice to me and I could sense they were really embarrassed by the situation (so I didn't push them really hard).

Hopefully the matter will be resolved soon.

Thanks again!

Anf how much Compensation for all the aggro not to mention the stress and expense you have been put too?

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]