NotAFanOfTheMan

Car Parking Partnership

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3632 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all, this is the first time I'm posting here.

I'd stopped my car on private land (not local authority) on double yellow lines. I didn't accept the double yellow lines because I presumed these only meant something on public roads (is this true?). Within the 3 minutes or so I was away from the car I found that I'd got a ticket from the car parking partnership.

I appealed using their website saying that I was picking up a passenger. They refused to accept this stating that parking outside of marked bays is not allowed - there's a sign board stating this. Strangely, parking within marked bays (even though they are private paid-for bays) is allowed for 20 mins. So it's ok to inconvenience someone else who pays for their bay but it's not ok to stop you're car in a space that doesn't inconvenience anyone at all (go figure!).

Anyways, after apealing (and getting rejected) I did some research and stumbled on this site, amongst others. The general advice I read was that it's a private company and has no right to enforce anything under civil law. Any legal dispute would be under contract law. This all made sense to me so I followed the advice and ignored the 2 subsequent letters I recieved - each one threatening possible legal action etc.

I've now received a green letter from what appears to be a legal firm representing car parking partnership. I'd like to think this letter has no more legal weighting than anything else from these people but I'm not sure. In honesty, I'm a little nervous of where this could lead. Part of me worries about debt collectors turning up at my front door and threatening my wife and kids. Worse, we've all seen cases of ill-informed coppers often siding with these pushy, and often illegal, actions.

What I was hoping was for someone to have a look at the letter I've received and give me their opinion on it. I'd like to send them an "I'd like to settle the issue without it going to court subject to reasonable costs suffered" type of notice, something I've seen recommended in places. Should I attempt to do this or wait untill they actually take legal proceedings?

Thanks, in advance, for your help

Image-edit.pdf

Edited by NotAFanOfTheMan
attached image illegible

Hi all, this is the first time I'm posting here.

I'd stopped my car on private land (not local authority) on double yellow lines. I didn't accept the double yellow lines because I presumed these only meant something on public roads (is this true?). Within the 3 minutes or so I was away from the car I found that I'd got a ticket from the car parking partnership.

Correct - Unless the land is adopted by the local council and has a valid traffic regulation order then double yellow lines mean nothing.

I appealed using their website saying that I was picking up a passenger. They refused to accept this stating that parking outside of marked bays is not allowed - there's a sign board stating this. Strangely, parking within marked bays (even though they are private paid-for bays) is allowed for 20 mins. So it's ok to inconvenience someone else who pays for their bay but it's not ok to stop you're car in a space that doesn't inconvenience anyone at all (go figure!).

Waste of time appealing. They want your money. Best policy is to ignore these unenforcable invoices and get on with your life

Anyways, after apealing (and getting rejected) I did some research and stumbled on this site, amongst others. The general advice I read was that it's a private company and has no right to enforce anything under civil law. Any legal dispute would be under contract law. This all made sense to me so I followed the advice and ignored the 2 subsequent letters I recieved - each one threatening possible legal action etc.

Standard pattern. You'll receive all kinds of threats. You are correct they can only persue the driver under contract law. They cannot persue the registered keeper, although they will try.

I've now received a green letter from what appears to be a legal firm representing car parking partnership. I'd like to think this letter has no more legal weighting than anything else from these people but I'm not sure. In honesty, I'm a little nervous of where this could lead. Part of me worries about debt collectors turning up at my front door and threatening my wife and kids. Worse, we've all seen cases of ill-informed coppers often siding with these pushy, and often illegal, actions.

Unless they present you with court papers you can safely ignore. They are just lawyers acting as debt collectors at the moment. Debt collectors have no powers to enter your home. You can ask them to leave if they show up at your door. If they refuse to leave - call the old bill. They should not be confused with Bailiffs who are appointed by a court to enforce a judgement. Bailiffs are only brought in when you go to court, lose and don't pay the judgement in the time stipulated by the court.

What I was hoping was for someone to have a look at the letter I've received and give me their opinion on it. I'd like to send them an "I'd like to settle the issue without it going to court subject to reasonable costs suffered" type of notice, something I've seen recommended in places. Should I attempt to do this or wait untill they actually take legal proceedings?

Thanks, in advance, for your help

Don't settle stick to your guns. There are many good reasons why you shouldn't pay.

This may put your mind at ease Private Parking Charges

There are other references as well.

I'd sit tight and follow the 3 rules for dealing with PPC's

1. Ignore

2. Ignore

3. Goto 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for a quick reply. I feel much more reassured after reading this, thanks!:)

It annoys me so much that companies can get away with operating like this. Had I not found this site, I'd have paid up long ago - like a mug. Feel sorry for all those people that give in to these bullies, many of them poor, vulnerable, or just ill-informed.:mad:

ignore!!!!!!!!!!

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Thanks for a quick reply. I feel much more reassured after reading this, thanks!:)

It annoys me so much that companies can get away with operating like this. Had I not found this site, I'd have paid up long ago - like a mug. Feel sorry for all those people that give in to these bullies, many of them poor, vulnerable, or just ill-informed.:mad:

Most of the people who post here feel the same way. Spread the word. The more people who know the less effective this [problem] is. Stick it to the them where it really hurts - in the pocket. :-D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------