Zstarmix

Moorcroft and Wescot woes

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3626 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Dear all you lovely people out there on The Consumer Forums:D,

For quite some time now, I’ve been lurking in the shadows surviving on snippets of information I foraged from entries similar to my situation; but alas, despite my searching I’m yet to find a post which mirrors mine and so I have revealed myself to ask for your help.

About 5 years ago I took out a £100 overdraft at HSBC to pay for a particularly extreme phone bill. Phone bill paid; off I went to uni, more or less forgetting about said overdraft. During my time at uni, my parents moved house and I also started receiving letters from those cuddly teddybears at Moorcroft. (The £100 had seemingly now incurred £26.35 in interest).

Partly because the addresses of these letters were redirected from my old address, and partly because I was still busy at uni, I ignored the Moorcroft letters hoping they would just fizzle out.

Now, cut to about 3 months ago, I’ve finished uni and am looking for a job when a Moorcroft representative comes to my house, and scares the living daylights out of my mum. Luckily I myself had just popped to the shop so missed any confrontation with the *door to door representative*, but my mothers petrified babbles told me he was a Moorcroft bailiff. :shock:

I now realised the situation was maybe more serious than I once thought, and this is when I started reading the posts on this forum, in search for some advice and guidance.

On the 19th October 2009, I sent Moorcroft a CCA request – found in the templates section (THANK YOU!:D) and for a long time heard nothing. My fingers were crossed waiting for the 12+30 days expiration with regards to their response to my request, and I thought I had heard the last; hoping they wouldn’t bother with such a small debt, but then, on the 18th November, a red letter landed on my doorstep – IMPORTANT, NOTICE OF DEBT COLLECTION – Wescot Credit Services had joined the party. It was their usual red letter instructing me to take action before the 2nd December 2009, to avoid further action.

I was a little puzzled why Moorcroft had suddenly become Wescot, but CCA’d Wescot as well on the 26th of November. Whilst awaiting Wescot reply, I received a letter from Moorcroft (who I thought had disappeared now) on the 28th of November – 37 days after I wrote to them:

Dear Zstarmix

RE: HSBC Bank Plc

I write in response to your recent communication in relation to the above account and can confirm we have been in contact with HSBC Bank Plc who have advised us that this is a current account therefore, no credit agreement would apply. A copy agreement is unavailable due to the age of the account.

I can also confirm I have placed your account on hold and request you make immediate contact with our call centre on the above telephone number to discuss a repayment proposal you can afford and maintain. However, if you are unhappy with the information provided please contact us by return.

On the 2nd of December, Wescot in turn, replied with this:

Dear Zstarmix,

COPY AGREEMENT REQUEST

We refer to you recent letter requesting a copy of the credit agreement for the above account, pursuant to the CCA.

We are not the creditor for this account but instructed on behalf of the above client. In the circumstances, we are returning your postal order which was made payable to Wescot Credit Services as this needs to be made payable to Metropolitan Collection Services. You can either send your request direct to our client or resend it to us and we will then forward it to them.

In the meantime, you will need to make arrangements to pay the account. We shall place the account on hold for 14 days to enable you to agree a repayment arrangement, but if we do not hear from you, it will be returned to the collections team.

Sooooo, this is the position I’m in now, I really am not sure where to go with this next and didn’t want to just leave it before getting some advice. I’m really sorry about the length of this post and hope it doesn’t deter people from helping :(

Thanks in advance!! Z :p

i know this is going to be unpopular but .....get a job or borrow a £100 quid of you mum and dad (that's what there for;)) write to them with an offer. defo get the £26 cost removed. Make a condtion of the payment they remove any defult

it's just not worth having your credit file screewed over this at such a young age.....in mho

Hi master woody, thanks so much for your prompt reply :); Ive taken your advice into consideration...i suppose on top of 26 grand worth of student debt, parting with so much as a quid at the moment is salt in a very deep wound, and now that ive started fighting the cause I thought Id see it through.

You're definitely right about the credit file thing though (i do think mines already a bit worse for wear however:cry:).

Z

Overdrafts are not covered by a CCA request.

If I were you I would send them £1 a month until its paid off.

If they took you to court, the magistrate would see that you are attempting to pay it off and probably look favourably on your case. IMHO.

And if they send anybody round again, tell them to bog off. They dont have the same powers as a court bailiff.

jed

thanks alot jed!

I feel a bit of a dork now; my knowledge of CCA requests only stretches as far as this forum so sorry if I sound a tad dumb - didnt know they didnt cover overdrafts.

Thanks so much for your advice

Z

p.s. I know the amount Im trying to contest really does seem ridiculously measly (especially after reading many other posts), its just Im sat here surrounded by letters from Wescot and Moorcroft and its understandably daunting. :(, so thanks.

Z