style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3651 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Could I have peoples thoughts and/or advice please?

My daughter is with Edf for her gas and electric. The electric is no problem. The gas is. She was paying the same amount for approx. 12 months. Then after that they wrote to her and said you owe about £500 (I think) on your gas bill and you should be paying more. They told her the amount she should pay originally and it was never enough. They write to her demanding payment so she rings them up to tell them her position (shes a single mum with a 3 year old and on benefits) but they dont take a blind bit of notice of her. She is still paying an amount every month but obviously what she is paying will only pay for what she is using.

I wondered if anybody could advise on how this should be dealt with.

Cheers, jed

hi Jed,

EDF should be looking to spread the debit balance over a year and cover the energy usage in the revised direct debit. under payment adequacy regulation, a supplier only has to assess direct debit payments once every 15 months and quite often a full year's history is needed to assess the usage accurately.

Your daughter may benefit from a prepayment meter? or fuel direct deductions to cover consumption plus £3.25 per week towards the debt

Thanks for reply nottslad.

I'll need to look into the things that you mention. I've never heard of the payment adequacy regulations or fuel direct deductions.

The pre-payment meter is not an option because most private rented houses that I know of wont allow them to be fitted because it costs to have them removed.

Cheers. jed

fuel direct is an option where prepayment is not possible usually.

It can be set up from the following benefits:

Income Support

Pension Credit

JSA

Emplyment support allowance

it is set for the average weekly usage, plus £3.25 towards debt