Redundancy - Notice Period

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

My employer has recently announced that 600 jobs will be cut across the whole business, including HQ. My position is one of them and in all honestly, I'm quite pleased about it as I have wanted to leave for some time and this gives me the push I need.

When the announcement was made, the people in my department obviously had a lot of questions and my line manager answered them and advised us that on top of the 90 consultation period being given, we would also have a further 3 months notice after that, effectively giving us a total of 6 months notice.

As there are a number of positions available, all of us have to reapply for a position if we so wish or alternatively we can opt for voluntary redundancy. In line with the announcement of the package, I opted to take this based on 2 weeks salary for each year you've worked there and wages INSTEAD of working the notice period of 3 months.

It has today come to light that my manager got it wrong and the notice period is NOT 3 months. It is indeed only 1 month and he highlighted that this was what was stated in our contracts. Now, fair enough, I did check a copy of my contract and it does say this and perhaps I should have checked this when he initally told us this but I think its safe to say most people would assume he would have checked the facts before confirming anything to us.

Anyway, in light of this, voluntary redundancy doesn't seem worth it now as I might as well let them force me out. My question is though, even though the contract states the notice period is 1 month, does the verbal and email confirmation from my manager stating 3 months overide this in anyway? I'm guessing it doesn't but I thought I would ask for advice regardless.

Thank you

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi I bumped your thread a while ago in the hope that your thread moved back to the top of the list, and someone could answer your question.

Are you a member of a union, they may be able to help you, also have you considered speaking to HR honour asking if they will honour the offer based on the E-mail.

Andy