style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3580 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

We were moving to a new rented property and apparently Landlords can put their new tenants on the bill with Southern Electric. This is our landlord did. Three months into living there we received our first quarterly bill and were horrified at the bill which was effectively a stable yard using lights for 3 stables and a tack room with washing machine, freezer and the boiler. It transpired that our landlords swimming pool was also attached to this meter :mad: Southern Electric are now chasing us for £857 of which we have already paid about £550. The total bill for the time we were at the property was around £1,400.

I just dont think this is right :(

Tell them to come round and check the meter and the landlords swimming pool. Tell them it isn't your swimming pool etc. I would go further than to say your landlord is cheeky.

Hello

When we realised what was happening, I did call SE and asked them to come and clarify the situation but they wouldnt. We have now moved from that property. I have made a complaint but SE feel it is our responsibility to pay it and they wont buge !

it is a third party dispute between you and your ex landlord, and something you would need to seek advice from a solicitor regarding

I think it was wrong that Landlords are allowed to put accounts into new tenants names. It leaves Landlords open to all sorts of "fun" as our landlord clearly had. Why should we pay for his swimming pool?

clearly you shouldnt, a lot of landlords and letting agents contact suppliers to inform of a COT to ensure the previous tenant is no longer billed, or if the account had been in their name, that it is ended and a new account set up for a new tenant

Maybe going through the small claims court is our only option. Of course this is the same landlord who claimed we gave notice 24 hours late and demanded another months rent! TDS Slapped him down on that one! Not a very nice landlord !

How about calling the police - he's either stolen your electricity or defrauded you into paying for his. Whichever way you look at it, a crime has been committed

Guest wino
How about calling the police - he's either stolen your electricity or defrauded you into paying for his. Whichever way you look at it, a crime has been committed

Doesn't this come under obtaining electricity under deception?

Really thank you for making me look at this situation from a different angle. One could certainly say that he did steal our electricity and used deception to do it! I have a mate who is in the police force and have emailed him to ask the question and will let you now what he thinks. The thought of the police knocking on the door of this landlord and particularly his wife made my husband and I roar with laughter :D so, really, thank you for that. It is also a different way to approach it with Southern Electric ;)

To add to that - I just cant understand how SE think it is our bill when they know he (landlord) put the account in my name. If he had said "I am going to put this account in your name to save you the trouble but just to let you know my swimming bill is attached to the meter" we would have said "take a &&^%^& hike!" :mad:

Guest wino

Do please keep us informed Squirrel Nutkin:)

Hello again. I did speak with the police about this problem and it was very interesting. Basically "it is an offence to abstract electricity without the permission of the electric company or their customer" and "should be exempt from that part of the bill" and up to SE to say how much electric was used for the swimming pool and approach the landlord". I have now written to SE and am waiting for a reply. Have suggested I may be better to approach the national press!

Thanks for the update. If its an offence why haven't they arrested anyone? (rhetorical question). The press is an excellent idea

I guess I would have to make a complaint but SE really should be doing something is the impression I got. Lets hope by meerly saying to SE that I have spoken to the police will make them sit up but the whole thing is just crazy! Thank you for your reply :-)

Update on this really annoying case. I have written to SE and have not had a reply. Think it is now two weeks since wrote. Does anyone know the name of the very top chap at SE? How can I bypass the minions - apologies if you are a minion with SE!

haha no worries hun, hope it gets sorted for you, perhaps as the biggest drain on energy was the swimming pool, the landlord should have kept the account in his name and just charged you a bit extra in the rent (say £50 a month) for leccy