style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi al, I had the misfortune of getting broken into last week. I lost a TV , laptop and some personal belongings. I've just had the loss adjuster on the phone to say I'm not covered as the mortar locks were not on on the front door. I feel like I've been robbed twice..Do I have the right to appeal?????The insurance company is Paymentshield...Thanks in advance

Hi al, I had the misfortune of getting broken into last week. I lost a TV , laptop and some personal belongings. I've just had the loss adjuster on the phone to say I'm not covered as the mortar locks were not on on the front door. I feel like I've been robbed twice..Do I have the right to appeal?????The insurance company is Paymentshield...Thanks in advance

Read your policy wording. Is there a minimum security condition? If you don't have your policy wording, request it from the adjusters.

was it a forced entry? or did they just open the door as the locks were not on?

When your home is left

without any occupants, or

when your family retire at

night, we will not provide any

cover for theft or attempted

theft at your home, unless the

following security condition is

met:

• Use all the locks and bolts

on all the outside doors.

• Use all the locks and

security fastenings on all

the windows.

When your family retire at

night the locks and security

fastenings on windows in

occupied rooms do not need

to be used.

Edited by vusys1

From your OP it's hard to understand what you mean when you say the mortar locks were not on on the front door.

Are you saying that the front door does have mortar locks fitted but they were not in use, or are you saying that the front door does not have mortar locks fitted?

Mossy

There is three locks on the door, only the Yale type lock was locked....However the alarm was on. It seems from the wording I'd have been better off not having these deadlocks fitted at all. Of course I could have triple locked the door but there's nothing to say they still wouldn't have gained entry...

There is three locks on the door, only the Yale type lock was locked....However the alarm was on. It seems from the wording I'd have been better off not having these deadlocks fitted at all. Of course I could have triple locked the door but there's nothing to say they still wouldn't have gained entry...

That I am afraid is the crux of the problem, the locks were fitted but not in use, I would imagine your insurers state this in their terms and conditions.

I agree there's nothing to say that they still wouldn't have gained entry, but conversely their is an argument that it might have delayed or stopped them.

Mossy

you could argue that the amount of force used would not have made any difference if the mortice lock had been on. Locks will only deter or delay,if a thief wants to get in they will.

you could argue that the amount of force used would not have made any difference if the mortice lock had been on. Locks will only deter or delay,if a thief wants to get in they will.

Totally agree with that, but insurers will probably argue that the delay may prevent a break-in or even deter it totally.

If it's a condition of the policy that mortice locks are fitted and used, or used if fitted then the OP has no argument

Mossy

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to you jonathan440, it's horrible when someone invades your private space...

I can only echo what others have said. If the exact wording of the policy states that the locks must be in use, assuming you declared them when you took out the policy, then you won't have much luck. If you're unsure, try scanning the policy documents and posting them.

All the best.