Jamhead

Why do council tax offices refuse to accept payments?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3624 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My mother has been trying to organise a direct debit with them via the phone today but they're saying they CAN'T accept any payments because the account is with the bailiffs. She stated she refuses to deal with bailiffs due to their fees and the fact they are trying to collect the WRONG amount of money (she had her council tax revised recently because she was off sick for a few weeks). I understand that if we ignore bailiffs long enough they'll have to to hand the debt back to the council tax office, so why don't the council tax people just stop being a pain in the arse and accept our payments?

They have entered into a contract with a collection agency and it will be within the terms and conditions that they must allow this company a clear shot at any payments first.

You should be able to make payments directly to the council online, they should not be refusing payments.

You are correct when you state that the bailiffs will hand it back to the council eventually, so sit tight - If all else fails, keep the payment amounts safe and pay them to the council when the bailiffs trot along

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

Thanks for your reply, we'll try making payments online instead then, the guy over the phone wouldn't accept anything. He also said once they;ve calculated the revised amount we owe -which should take a fair bit off the debt- we'd still have to deal with bailiffs, but I'm glad he's wrong. I don't want to deal with these people. We want to make it clear that we want to pay the council tax what we owe ASAP too, just not via the bailiffs. I'll sit tight indeed, there's no car, nothing in the garden and they certainly won't get in. Thanks again.

spam head does this also happen to mags fines that they hand them back cos they wont except mine either i paid via phone they sent me cheques back and paid online and they refunded..... i only done a little over the phone so did nt put the cheques in bank so now i ve done the full amount over phone so when they send cheques back i wont put in bank meaning they have the money what can they do

No, the rules are different for Magistrates fines, Bailiffs are seen as part of their own enforcement processes and are agents of the court.

With Council Tax, the bailiff is merely attempting to enforce a Liability order and not a court imposed fine.

However, if you go to the court with the warrant and pay the full amount, then I cannot see how/why they would refuse to accept the payment.

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves