• Tweets

• Well, he owed a debt, had that debt established in court and then defied the court by not paying the debt even when ordered to by the judge.   That's what a credit report would conclude.  Doesn't matter that the "debt" didn't exist and was made up by fleecers, once he didn't defend the court claim he was going to lose and once he didn't pay a CCJ was inevitable.   Yes, a set aside is the way to go.  I don't think there is a time limit, plenty of people go for a set aside yonks after the event as they had moved and never got the court papers.    
    • Thank you so much for your thorough reply.   I'm trying to work out the simplest way to deal with this. I don't really want to have to fight things through the courts if it does come to that, and I"m trying to work out if I have a cooling off period at all. I wonder if you can tell me.    I viewed the car in person and took it for a test drive. But I then went away and eventually called the dealership back to arrange to buy the car. I agreed to buy the car and paid £500 deposit to secure the car over the phone.    I then went into the dealership and completed the purchase in person when I collected the car.    Do I therefore have the legal right to a 14 day cooling off period as I was a telephone purchase for at least part of the price? Or does this only apply to a purchase completed over the phone or online? Thanks
    • So they can’t even get a CCJ against me? Unless they sell the debt? Even though this is a debt it’s not a “credit agreement” that’s defaulted so does this come into play?    I read on on another website forum that a guy had a £12,000 negative balance and he had agreed a monthly repayment plan with the DCA. Has just given in to easily in your opinion?   
    • Hi,   Do you have an update on this? Curious to know what they said.    I may be in a similar situation, 5 year old car has signs of crash damage, although yet to inspect it properly. 
    • Hi Everyone,   ..not been on here for ages......😜   Asking for my best mate.   He just had a CCJ issued against him for a Premier parking issue, one these speculative invoices I think. I don’t need to go into details now as my questions are simple to start with, etc but you can guess he ignored everything,did nothing, and it’s gone this far, reasons for another time.   Anyway, a few questions please, can you help...   Is the only thing he can do now is a “set aside application”? And is that request time limited, does he have to do it within a certain timeframe.   After reading a few things on here am I right to assume the Set Aside is a tricky thing to do?   He is only trying to repair his credit rating, which halved upon this CCJ!!!!! His was perfect before this.   In a slightly related question, why are parking fines related to a credit report. It’s not like he missed a loan repayment or credit bill payment. You could argue that non payment of spurious questionable parking fine is certainly not related to the repayment of credit or credit worthiness....   TIA Steve
  • Our picks

spacemanoeuvres

mercers for barclaycard

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3631 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all

am new to this site so please bear with me. I have debt on 2 cards to barclaycard 1 approx £550.00 the other 3500.00

i have entered debt management with payplan as i owe a considerbale sum to hsbc as well, hsbc have accepted debt plan and as largest creditor get bulk of payment, barclaycard have accepted payplan for card with 550.00 but are claiming to have not recvd paperwork for card with 3500.00, they have now passed this to mercers who are threatening debt collectors at door,

i realise you refuse entry etc to them, however can they put an attachment to my earnings from work, all salary is allocated to living and disposable goes to payplan

The other problem is me and my wife have seperated and she is in house refusing to sell it and i am in rented, the only asset i have left is my house, i assume any debt collector will go to house not rented which will please the wife somewhat.

I have tried telling wife that she needs to sell house asap but i think she is trying to get house off me, my question is can a bank get house off me, in all honesty if they want the house they can have it as have lost it anyway to wife but conveniently kept all the debt and after a divorce/legal fees there wont be much left.

i am paying with payplan but what can banks/debt collectors actually do and i dont mean a slightly intimidating but essentially pointless visit to the house but in the long term through courts and ownership of the house.

sorry for a long 1st one

ta space

Hi all

am new to this site so please bear with me. I have debt on 2 cards to barclaycard 1 approx £550.00 the other 3500.00

i have entered debt management with payplan as i owe a considerbale sum to hsbc as well, hsbc have accepted debt plan and as largest creditor get bulk of payment, barclaycard have accepted payplan for card with 550.00 but are claiming to have not recvd paperwork for card with 3500.00, they have now passed this to mercers who are threatening debt collectors at door,

i realise you refuse entry etc to them, however can they put an attachment to my earnings from work, all salary is allocated to living and disposable goes to payplan ONLY A COURT CAN DO THIS - AND ONLY AFTER CCJ

The other problem is me and my wife have seperated and she is in house refusing to sell it and i am in rented, the only asset i have left is my house, i assume any debt collector will go to house not rented which will please the wife somewhat.

I have tried telling wife that she needs to sell house asap but i think she is trying to get house off me, my question is can a bank get house off me, in all honesty if they want the house they can have it as have lost it anyway to wife but conveniently kept all the debt and after a divorce/legal fees there wont be much left. LONG WAY TO GO BEFORE IT GETS TO THIS TOO

i am paying with payplan but what can banks/debt collectors actually do and i dont mean a slightly intimidating but essentially pointless visit to the house but in the long term through courts and ownership of the house.

sorry for a long 1st one DITTO

ta space

Hi Space,

Welcome to Cag,

Mercers are BCs in house collectors - just another desk really. They are a lot of hot air and rubbish!!!

Resend the 3500 paperwork and get yourself comfy with that first.

Others will be along to advise further

M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Did you mean to pay the other card using Payplan? Then surely it is a case of contacting Payplan to put the card on the plan.

Mercers is the debt collection arm of Barclaycard and part of the company. They threaten doorstep visits but they very rarely happen. You can offer them what you can afford - even if it just a £1 a month - until things improve. You are a long way from any court action. Depending on the age of the card, Barclaycard may not have an agreement and if they don't, they wouldn't be able to take you to court anyway. You can find out by sending them a request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Send this to Mercers:

CCA request letter.

Enclose a £1 postal order. They have 12 (+2 for admin) working days to reply. If they do not reply in that time you can put the account in dispute (there is a template on site for that) and withhold payment until such times as they do send one. What they send may be unenforceable. Whatever they send scan it on here and we will advise you whether it is enforceable or not.

Hi

Thanks both for this, i am putting all my debt through payplan and am unsure why barclaycard with 3500.00 are saying they havent recvd paperwork for debt plan, i thought it might be mercers trying to intimidate, i have contacted payplan again to tell them to sort it with barclaycard so shall await what happens.

realise i am a long way from loosing house etc but can this happen, was also using this to get wife to shift on selling house as she is keeping it at mo but that is a different story

i have been making debt plan payments since sopt 09 so they have recvd 3 months worth which they have accepted so unsure what else they can do

ta space

Hi

Thanks both for this, i am putting all my debt through payplan and am unsure why barclaycard with 3500.00 are saying they havent recvd paperwork for debt plan, i thought it might be mercers trying to intimidate, i have contacted payplan again to tell them to sort it with barclaycard so shall await what happens.

realise i am a long way from loosing house etc but can this happen, was also using this to get wife to shift on selling house as she is keeping it at mo but that is a different story

i have been making debt plan payments since sopt 09 so they have recvd 3 months worth which they have accepted so unsure what else they can do

ta space

Not a lot!

Do what Pinky has suggested, let's see what they've got.

If you default on your payment plan, AND they have the correct paperwork to take you to court, AND they win or you don't turn up, AND you defy the judge and don't pay what he/she says, AND they take it back to court and get a charge on your house, AND you still defy the judge so they go back to court again to ask the court to force you to sell - THEN and only THEN might you lose your house - but only might.

Stop worrying, get the 3.5k on the debt plan and get those letters off then we'll talk some more :-D

M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

ho ho

thanks for that m&m, i just start to worry bout this stuff, but i know theres not really anything i can do nore than what i am

ta space

Mercers have been threatening me to send doorstop collectors, final notices etc but so far *fingers crossed* have never actually done anything but harrass me.

Mercers vanished into the ether with me a long time ago

sharklycard have tried farming it around the usual suspects for going on 2 years now

what does that tell you?;)