jqinfo

Urgent Help Please - Verbal Contract!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3629 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My daughter entered into an agreement with my niece's husband to put a beauty room in the back of his barbers. He agreed to pay for everything in the beginning but didnt. Therefore, we have rallied around and paid for everything to make it lovely. Now, he is says she has to work for him or leave! Can he do this?

THE BACKGROUND - is that my niece and her husband were very unhappy living with my brother and sister-in-law, so I agreed to rent them my house (3 bed semi), at an agreed lower than market rate (£650), because it was not ready for letting, ie, gardening, new door handles, door etc. They wanted it and took the keys and started planning and moving stuff etc. They asked if they could started paying when they returned from holiday, because they did not want to dip into their holiday money. I agreed, they had been stressed out and the house was not perfect, so I did not do the usual deposit and rent in advance etc. Whilst they were on holiday, my daughter and I went in and scrubbed the house and carpets ready for them coming back, because my niece was so stressed out and wanted away from her parents (they were paying £400 per mth for one room). They came back of holiday (July 13), were delighted and moved straight in. Then no rent came. Their marriage was a bit shaky at the time and I tried to be patient. I asked a few times. Then my niece's husband asked should he take my daughter's rent from mine? I said that I did not want that, they had an agreement and we had an agreement and I wanted it to stay like that because it is two separate things. Still no rent.

Eventually I pinned them down, beginning of November, and managed to get £400 over a couple of days. When I asked about the backdating he said they couldn't afford it and I should forget abut the past and start afresh from today. I said that it was not fair like that and I should be paid what was agreed. Suffice to say I have had no further rent and I get the feeling there is no intention of them paying. Not that I would mind if it were truthfully that they couldn't afford it, but he takes £200-£400 per day in his barber's shop!!

They then started to make my daughter very uncomfortable, they were sabotaging her business by making appointments and not telling her, and cancelling them, or just saying sorry she's not in and not taking a name or number etc for her to phone.

Having sabotaged her appointments, she didn't have enough money to pay her rent for November. Which is what he has used to say she must now work for him. It is bad enough that he has made her feel belittled because he makes her massage his feet, body and head for nothing, although now she says, take it out of my rent, but now he wants a 50/50 split of everything she takes and she has to do what he says and when. In our area other salons do 60/40 to the beautician and they supply the room etc. We have repaired and decorated the room and bought all the equipment, had new wiring put in and some plumbing. Also, her rent is £400 per month and in the town centre she can get a room for £85 per week. Not that she wants to do that because she is in an area with no other salon in the immediate vicinity and she has a local client bank, especially little old ladies that love her and her kind, sweet nature.

It is bad enough that they have not paid the rent and have done a bunk now (4 Nov) and left the house in a disgusting state, they bought a puppy at £450, and let it use all the carpets as a toilet, they just took their stuff and left food in fridge, rubbish everywhere, a perfect rectangle of filth under where their sofa was, black spot mould on the tile grout where they had not cleaned it once in the four months or so they were there, but now they are telling everyone that I said they could live in my house for free! I was getting it ready to let, why would I do that when I could rent it out for £850 to general public? Family!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

Please any ideas anyone? Now, my daughter has said to him that she would like to remain with the existing contract, as agreed and she will pay the rent in full and he has told her she must get out at Christmas, ie, Christmas Eve!

What a time of year to start looking for a new place and to start all over again!

Is there any point in asking for advice? Is this a done deal?

Thank you in anticipation.

JQ

JQ, I know the title of this thread is "Verbal Contract" but do you have any of this in writing at all?

Either the agreement that you made for them to rent your house?

Or the agreement that your daughter has entered into?

It sounds very much like this "person" is taking you both for a ride and will continue to do so until you stop it.

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

JQ, I know the title of this thread is "Verbal Contract" but do you have any of this in writing at all?

Either the agreement that you made for them to rent your house?

Or the agreement that your daughter has entered into?

It sounds very much like this "person" is taking you both for a ride and will continue to do so until you stop it.

Hi Spamheed

Stupid I know, but nothing in writing! I did trust him because he was my niece's husband and had always seemed a good person. We did the salon first, then they were desperate to get out of living with my brother and sister-in-law and I thought, by helping, it would stop a family fued! Now I have one anyway!

JQ

Without any evidence of any kind I would suggest it might be in your best interests to cut yours (and your daughters) losses and walk away from this "relative"

It may be worth taking advantage of the free first half hour that a lot of solicitors offer and see if there is any distance in that direction, but without any sort of agreement in place I think my first opinion is valid and this "person" is going to continue to take the proverbial

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

I would go with spamhead on this. Remember those adverts they used to have on the rental videos - bloke on a market stall selling doggy poor quality videos:

'verbal contract darlin', not wurf the paper it's wriiten on'

sounds to me like this bloke is a right ..... Best shot of him .

Thank you both, I think you are right! A hard lesson learned again. I am used to being ripped off by others, but not my own family! I am just too soft and caring!!

Mind you I will be taking everything I have paid for with me!

JQ

I dont think you can call someone who would do that to your house then do a bunk family.

In future business is business and family is a christmas card and a hug:p.

oh and better find somewhere else to get your hair cut as well

Lol I agree! I never trusted him with my hair "I am a lady!" but my son has already changed to his other barber!

Thank you.

JQ