labrat

Labrats guide to living cheaply

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3570 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

quick guide which im hoping people can expand on

Look for freebies:-

Many companys run free offers from time to time, there is sites on the internet which offer freebies however many of these seem to havest email addresses without ever providing what they offer. the best place to look for these offers is on free to use open forums such as moneysaving expert, a good example of this is coffee, one free offer just provided four differnt samples with around 8 cups per sample at a total of 16 cups saving me the cost of coffee.

Get Paid for Eating out:-

most people have heard of mystery shopping but have never looked into how it works. if you sign up for mystery shopping companys they will ussually refund the cost of the meal and provide extra ontop, however you must obay the rules in the assigment or it may not be paid. some examples of this is i have been paid for having a sunday lunch at majour chains and have been paid £5 ontop once i have filled out the survey.

Complain Complain Complain:-

its been shown that generally people are afraid to complain about the service they have receaved however this is one of the best ways to live cheaply. there is even sites out that will help you fill in the complaints and in some cases send it to the company involved, these can be simple complaints about product to even more serious complaint.

two examples are once upon ordering a mixed grill instead of the 4oz beef steak i expected i got a 10oz surloin steak but without the other meats, on complaining they allowed me to keep the 10oz steak and brought the rest of the meats.

Smaller complaints can also bring results nothing shows this better than a recent complaint to mcdonalds on getting a takeaway burger i requested no relish, on getting home i found it did have relish, 30 seconds scraping with a knife later no reslish, a simple complaint to mcdonalds however and a £1 burger resulted in a £5 voucher

Its not your fault:-

always argue your rights how often have you had an item for a few months its broken and youve thought "just my luck", remember all items have a reasonable life span and should be replaced or repaired within that time, some firms offer cash back if that item is replaced and subsequently reduced in price, for example my hover broke down after around 11 months, i was looking in my filing cabinet for my chequebook to buy a new one when i found the reciet for the old one, on returning it to the supermarket involved they not only replaced it but gave me £20 cash due to the reduction in price.

work things out rather than jumping in:-

talking to someone i went to school with recently they drove around 3 differnt supermarkets due to some prices being cheaper at differnt supermarkets, sounds good however on asking him to work out the milage he found out how much he was spending on petrol between stores and parking, alot more than the money he saved on his shopping

Look out for discounts:-

there is several sites out there that offer vouchers for online shopping or takeaways, a good example is pizza hut, my takeaway ussualy comes to around £12.50, however there is a voucher currently in use that gives £10 off if £25 is spent, so i brought myself a pudding for £2.50 and then added £10 worth of free fizzy drinks, saving me buying fizzy drinks for the next 2 weeks (5 bottles free)

Dont Always buy multipacks:-

they are not always the value that you imagine, for example morrisons have rice crispy squares value pack (8) at around £3.25, however a standered pack of 4 is £1, many supermarkets now list the price per item/price per kilo on the side of the price label if in doubt follow this.

Useful sites

im not sure if this parts allowed so ive made it seperate to the main text so admin can remove it if needed.

Freebies:-

Freebies (no spend required) Board - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Making complaints:-

How to Complain

Mystery shopping sites:-

https://cybershop.gfk.com

https://www.xec.gapbuster.com

http://www.retaileyes.co.uk

Disclaimer, ive written this to help people try and live a little cheaper in the current crunch it is my own work spelling mistakes and all hoever i am dylexic so i tend to give myself leeway on this

copying, i dont mind people copying this as long as they dont pass it off as their own work, i am aware that sometimes papers will publish this sort of advice in their money pages and this is not copied from papers, however if one does wish to use this as insperation for one of these colums then i have no objections providing a sutable donation is made to the forum

• Haha 2

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

A lot of things that cost are because of the times ie; a generation or two ago, mums would never ditch a chicken carcass after the Sunday roast, but boil it up and add veggies, lentils and dumplings etc; and make a nice stew.

I think the main reason these type of things have all but gone out the window is that mums no longer stay at home so there is no time for a working mum to do these sort of things.

I remember having newspaper cut into squares as apposed to the 'posh' greaseproof that was shiney on one side (I think it was called Izal). I'm not suggesting we do that now, but think of the money that is being flushed down the loo with those fancy rolls.

But going to your post Labrat, there are a lot of ways that the bills could be cut if only we would think about it. Is it that we are lazy now or just that we have grown accustomed to the easy life and the abundance of things. One thing is certain, there are still just as many hours in a day, they just seem less.

always have a quick look for freebies on magazines - got £14 worth of Bodyshop eyeliners recently for £3 and a £10.50 nail polish for £2 which will make a brill pressie.

there is no time for a working mum to do these sort of things.

I'm not sure they really do take that long. I am sure that many convenience foods have been brilliantly marketed as 'time savers' and we've been brainwashed. I couldn't believe it when I saw bubble & squeak on sale in ready prepared frozen blocks - sort of defeats the object.

Your right, they don't take that long, but when mums stayed at home and done all the houswork, cooking, washing and ironing etc; (god bless my mum), there was time to do preparation. The same can be achieved today but it takes a bit more planning like preparing stuff the night before etc; and with on/off timers on ovens now, there shouldn't really be any excuse for living solely on supermarket ready prepared meals.

They also repaired clothes as well so never wasted anything. Just try giving little Jimmy his sisters hand me down jacket even if he is only five.

agreed i do try to cook fresh as much as possible and im a bloke but sometimes there just isnt time.

just thought i would post up some ways ive found of cutting costs and see if other people had some more

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I expect there will be other idea. This is a really good thread idea which is why I clicked your scales. May it long continue.

"When I was a lad, me mother would send me down to corner shop with' a

shilling, and I'd come back wi' five pounds o' potatoes, two loaves o'

bread, three pints o' milk, a pound o'

cheese, a packet o' tea, an' 'alf a

dozen eggs.

Ya can't do that now ...

Too many bloody security cameras."

rolf

one more ill add in when i have time....

keep an eye on the buy one get one free offers, think if you'll ever use the freebie before it gets out of date, or check if the price of buying two is cheaper than buying one, example asda couple of months ago ragu sauces £1.23 each or two for £1..... sometimes even if the second one isnt going to be used its worth buying 2 to get money off

Please note:

It's not just bogof though. Something didn't look quite right with the baked bean prices between the bigger and smaller tins. Usually the more you get the cheaper it becomes but on this occassion, I did the sums and the larger tin of beans was a lot dearer than buying the equivalent in small tins.

We really do need to watch how they price things, which are done to fool us.

dozen eggs.

Ya can't do that now ...

:D

We really do need to watch how they price things, which are done to fool us

Ain't that the truth. There's a reason they have the price per unit in very small print. It may be an obvious point but always stay aware that the more they try to get your attention with huge posters for offers the more likely it is that the real bargain is hidden away on a bottom shelf.

Ive got one (actually hundreds I am a Scotsman after all!) -

Buy your winter clothes in spring when coats, scarves etc are on sale as summer lines are coming in. Likewise with buying summer clothes in autumn.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

dozen eggs.

Ya can't do that now ...

Just said that out of conversation to the missus, she didn't know i was reading it off the computer screen, she said she listened to half of what i said, then switched off... Cow... I really liked that quote :D

someone obviously likes that joke coniff made it onto the joke page of the daily mail today

wait isnt the front headline ussually the joke section?

Please note: